Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Absolutely unbelievable comment made to a coach...

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Absolutely unbelievable comment made to a coach...

Ok, here's the story:

My High School Alma Mater made it to the High School (American) Football playoffs. Heading into the game last Saturday (Dec. 14th), they were 14-0, and averaging close to 45 points per game.

Their opponents (let's call them Team B) in the semi-final matchup (High School playoffs here are 6 rounds at this level), were coming into the game averaging nearly 70 points per game, were the highest-scoring team in the history of High School football, and were also 14-0.

Well, it was an extremely hard-fought game. The halftime score was tied at 0, the first time that Team B had been held scoreless in the first half all season.

My alma mater made a few second-half mistakes which really swung the momentum of the game, and we ended up losing to Team B 29-6, for a 14-1 record.

Well, here's the thing: Apparently, after the game, someone told the coach of my alma mater that he "should be ashamed of himself".

Why? I have no idea. I guess because they lost?

I'm not a big believer in the "moral victory" in sports.

That said, I think the following should be commended:

1. They made it to the 5th round of a six-round playoff.
    2. They held the highest scoring team in high school football history to 29 points.
    3. They held the same team to a 0-0 tie at halftime.
    4. A 14-1 record is a good foundation to build upon.

I really don't understand the logic of this "fan" who said this to the coach. Other than the fact that they were maybe upset...

Just wanted to share and maybe get some thoughts...
    Skilled programmers aren't cheap. Cheap programmers aren't skilled.

The degree to which people with no life live vicariously through sports, is at once amusing and depressing, when you've tied your reason for existing to the outcome of a SPORTS CONTEST to that degree, enough that you take it personally when they lose, and feel entitled to take your frustration out on people who are NOT responsible to you in any way at all, what kind of person are you?

And the further down the ladder you go, the worse it gets, people too involved in pro sports are slightly better, perhaps, than people too involved in college sports

At the very bottom, just one rung up from algae, you have this guy.

The rabid too-involved fan of HIGH SCHOOL SPORTS and below who makes headlines predictably, but sadly, every year when he beats up the losing coach of his kid's pee wee football team.

Sports Radio host Colin Cowherd said it best:

"Love your family, Like your sports"
    - They say nothing good happens at 2AM, they're right, I happen at 2AM.

Comment

Hell, a 14-1 record with the other points you made, isn't just a good foundation to build on. It's a solid foundation with a Mike Holmes approved framework, wiring, plumbing and roof in place.

Every sport has a winner and a loser. And winning everything but one game is a damn good rating no matter how you cut it. The coach and especially the team should be commended for how good they did through the season.

Comment

Quoth Jetfire View Post
        Hell, a 14-1 record with the other points you made, isn't just a good foundation to build on. It's a solid foundation with a Mike Holmes approved framework, wiring, plumbing and roof in place.

Every sport has a winner and a loser. And winning everything but one game is a damn good rating no matter how you cut it. The coach and especially the team should be commended for how good they did through the season.
        Well, the team that beat my alma mater is the same team that beat a team 91-0 earlier in the season.

It's actually everything but two games. We lost in the semi-finals. But I get what you're saying. I don't know what this woman was thinking when she made the comments.

Comment

By that woman's logic, every coach in the NFL (except for the coach of the team that wins the Super Bowl) is an incompetent who deserves to be fired. Hell, at least half the teams in that school's league would be jealous of your alma mater's record this season.
          Any fool can piss on the floor. It takes a talented SC to shit on the ceiling.

Comment

Perfection will be tolerated, but we really expect more.
            I am not an a**hole. I am a hemorrhoid. I irritate a**holes!
            Procrastination: Forward planning to insure there is something to do tomorrow.
            Derails threads faster than a pocket nuke.

Comment

Seriously, how sad is the life of the individual who says such a thing? Some people really do just take trivial shit way too seriously. The only person who should be ashamed is the one that made that asinine comment. If that jackass thinks she can do better, then maybe she should apply for the coach's job.... or else shut her f*cking pie hole.
              Last edited by ADeMartino; 12-17-2013, 12:07 PM. Reason: fixed gender after re-reading original post

Comment

Part of it, I think, is that some people are probably "fair weather" fans. In the early 2000's, my alma mater won 3 state titles in 5 years, and was a perennial playoff team for close to a decade. Then, there was a coaching change (nothing nefarious, I just want to protect the coach's privacy), and the team's performance dropped off under an interim coach.

The coach we brought in came in from a lower classification. Here, we have classifications from 6-man to 5A, though that is changing next year where 6 man is becoming 1A, and the classifications go up to 6A.

Anyway, the coach came from a lower classification (2A or 3A, I forget which), where he'd also led his teams to the playoffs. His first season here in 4A (2011), we went something like 3-7. We have gotten progressively better since then.

Some of it may still be a "culture shock" thing. Back in the late 1990's/2000's we ran exclusively from a shotgun spread, and threw the ball A LOT. Now we mostly set up in multi-set formations and run a much more run-based game.

I think there are probably some people who don't like what the coach is getting paid, either. I won't go into it, but I don't think some people like it.

I have noticed, though, that there are fans of this team, and then there are "fans" of this team.

Comment

Working...
                X