This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is this a record?

I was putting up my Christmas decorations at the weekend, and while I was trimming the tree, it occurred to me... I have a few baubles, just a few, that belonged to my father's parents - they bought them when they got married in the early 1920's... So these little ornaments are about 90 years old.

Anyone got any decs as old as that, or older?
    Engaged to the sweet Mytical He is my Black Dragon (and yes, a good one) strong, protective, the guardian. I am his Silver Dragon, always by his side, shining for him, cherishing him.

I think my wife has a strand or two of her grandfather's Christmas lights. I know they still work. Pretty sure they're from the 1950's.

I don't hang the mini-bottle of rye whiskey on the tree, otherwise it might win. Hand-written date on it (by one of my ancestors) is 1802.
    "If your day is filled with firefighting, you need to start taking the matches away from the toddlers…” - HM

Comment

Mom has some ornaments and other decorations that I made when I was unbelievably young; at least 35 years old. And there are older family decorations that we still use regularly. Not sure if we're near the 90 year stage yet (there might be some she got when Grandpa died), but its up there.

When I was in Grade 1 or 2 or something (I don't even remember making it), I made some Christmas 'placemats' in school out of bristol board and some cut out decorations (cardboard holly leaves and berries, a christmas card, etc...). The teacher laminated them at the time. We still bring the two out every Xmas and use them, usually under the coffee machine in the kitchen or under other odds and ends in the kitchen/dining room. Still unmarked and as bright and shiny as the day I made them all those years ago.

We also have some clothespin reindeer that we put up on the tree that were made way back then too. And a few other treasured handmade decorations.

Comment

Oh I do I do! I have ornaments from my great grandmother's time so they are about 100 years old or older. Plus ones I made as a kid and ones my kids made and ones that were gifts to me years ago.....I love them all.
        https://www.youtube.com/user/HedgeTV
        Great YouTube channel check it out!

Comment

I don't know if we have any that old, but we've got some going back to at least as long as my parents have been married (44 years next April). Last year I came across one that had a picture of them which I believe is from their first Christmas together.
          I don't go in for ancient wisdom
          I don't believe just 'cause ideas are tenacious
          It means that they're worthy - Tim Minchin, "White Wine in the Sun"

Comment

I still have the very first Christmas angel tree topper that hubby and I had as a married couple. My grandmother sent me a box of ornaments and the angel to ensure that we had something to put on our tree. I'm not sure how old she (the angel) is, but I do know she was fragile then and I've since stopped using her. I do however get her out ever year and look at her and remember our first Christmas as a married couple.

Comment

My aunt's got some old ornaments in the original box. I'm not sure how old they are, though. I don't think they're as old as 90. Probably at least 50, though.

I have a few things that are from the early 50's, at least, including strings of glass beads (aka "my preciousssss"). They're faded and have a few cracks but I love them.
              When you start at zero, everything's progress.

Comment

Working...
              X