Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Here's a collection of Rum Balls recipes.

Many of them say to use rum essence: you can remove some of the other liquids and replace the rum essence with rum.

Because it's a no-bake recipe, you can easily taste-as-you-go.

As you can see by the wide variety of ingredients in those ten recipes, rum balls tend to become idiosyncratic to individual families. Me, however, I've never actually liked my mother's rum balls enough to learn the family recipe!

The basic taste, however, is a rich, chocolatey sphere flavoured with rum (unless it's being made for kids); and rolled in something finger-friendly, such as dessicated coconut or chocolate sprinkles.
    Make them in a size suitable to be eaten in two small bites or one large one.
    Seshat's self-help guide:
    1. Would you rather be right, or get the result you want?
    2. If you're consistently getting results you don't want, change what you do.
    3. Deal with the situation you have now, however it occurred.
    4. Accept the consequences of your decisions.

"All I want is a pretty girl, a decent meal, and the right to shoot lightning at fools." - Anders, Dragon Age.

Comment

I make mince pies and fruit cake. Mainly because you can't get mincemeat easily during the rest of the year and I figure that "trying to be good" can be ignored at christmas so fruitcakes are allowed.

Comment

I'll be making homemade 'nog for the first time in years, as our chickens have been extra happy lately. Thought I'd experiment with some bourbons this go 'round, as I've always used rum previously.

(And is anyone else here kinda flabbergasted that (despite not being a big sweettooth sort of person) Jester doesn't have a favorite RUMball recipe? !)

Also, FL, a variety of Christmas/Snowy towels, placemats, etc. come out. I trade out my regular slippers for the Grinch slippers, kitties get their stockings hung up, we get our wreath from the local scouts, and best of all, the cold weather flannel sheets get replaced with the frigid weather fleece sheets. Cozy!

Comment

I'll have to dig my mum's rum ball reciepe out from the dark depths....

But mom would normally start making them like last week, and let them sit undisturbed for a week or so (in an air tight container), and time they were "ready" they almost could get you drunk from the sheer impact of the rum soaking in.

We always used Mount Gay Rum (don't know you view on that jester).
          It is by snark alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the juice of the coffee bean that thoughts acquire 'tude, the lips acquire mouthiness, the glares become a warning.

Comment

Quoth Jester View Post
            Details/recipe/instructions, please?!?!?!?!?!?!?
            Hi Jester, sorry, I just saw this! Seshat's link is probably better than anything I found. They aren't traditional in my family, I just had a taste for 'em.

Seems most of them are made by smashing up vanilla wafers (my fave cookie!) and mixing in rum and sugar, shaping into balls & rolling in nuts, sprinkles or powered sugar. Simple enough even for me I might try substituting agave syrup in the mix, since I'm supposed to be watching my carbs.

And I have that nice bottle of Brinley Gold to try...
            When you start at zero, everything's progress.

Comment

I seldom do anything special during the holidays -- tho it seems that, ever since I was a little kid, my body thinks that "the period between the end of school and XMAS itself" is the ideal time for me to get sick enough to have to spend a couple days in bed...and it's right on schedule this year. Just a fever this time, but it still sucks x.x
              "For a musician, the SNES sound engine is like using Crayola Crayons. Nobuo Uematsu used Crayola Crayons to paint the Sistine Chapel." - Jeremy Jahns (re: "Dancing Mad")
              "The difference between an amateur and a master is that the master has failed way more times." - JoCat
              "Thinking is difficult, therefore let the herd pronounce judgment!" ~ Carl Jung
              "There's burning bridges, and then there's the lake just to fill it with gasoline." - Wiccy, reddit
              "Retail is a cruel master, and could very well be the most educational time of many people's lives, in its own twisted way." - me
              "Love keeps her in the air when she oughta fall down...tell you she's hurtin' 'fore she keens...makes her a home." - Capt. Malcolm Reynolds, "Serenity" (2005)
              Acts of Gord – Read it, Learn it, Love it!
              "Our psychic powers only work if the customer has a mind to read." - me

Comment

Popped up on my wall today. Origin site is here, but it's flash, so no image url.

Comment

Quoth Seshat View Post
                  Here's a collection of Rum Balls recipes.
                  Thank you! I will definitely peruse those!

Quoth Seshat View Post
                  Many of them say to use rum essence: you can remove some of the other liquids and replace the rum essence with rum.
                  Which, of course, I will. But that brings up the obvious questions, asked with all the righteous indignation of a dedicated rum aficionado: what in the flying hell is rum essence, and why would anyone in their right mind use IT instead of actual RUM? More proof that the world is bonkers.

Quoth Kal View Post
                  I make mince pies and fruit cake. Mainly because you can't get mincemeat easily during the rest of the year...
                  You would think that having a sister that has lived in England for the last 11 years I would know this, but I don't, so I have to ask: what is mincemeat, and why is it so less readily available the rest of the year? Is it a holiday thing, much like the total lack of cranberries in my local store outside of this time of year?

Quoth sms001 View Post
                  (And is anyone else here kinda flabbergasted that (despite not being a big sweettooth sort of person) Jester doesn't have a favorite RUMball recipe? !)
                  You shouldn't be. Not only am I not huge on desserts and dessert items (though I do enjoy them), before last year, I had never even HEARD of rum balls!

Quoth Sarlon View Post
                  We always used Mount Gay Rum (don't know you view on that jester).
                  I'm assuming you're using the Eclipse, which is Mount Gay's flagship rum. (If you order Mount Gay and coke at a bar, that is what you'll get.) Which seems totally reasonable to me. It's a good mixing rum, and it would make total sense to cook with. Good rummy flavor.

Quoth MoonCat View Post
                  And I have that nice bottle of Brinley Gold to try...
                  Which one? The Vanilla? That would be very interesting in rum balls. If you do that, let me know how they turn out, please.

"The Customer Is Always Right...But The Bartender Decides Who Is
                  Still A Customer."

Comment

Quoth Jester View Post
                    Which, of course, I will. But that brings up the obvious questions, asked with all the righteous indignation of a dedicated rum aficionado: what in the flying hell is rum essence, and why would anyone in their right mind use IT instead of actual RUM? More proof that the world is bonkers.
                    I do believe rum essence is flavoring, like vanilla extract. And you'd use it in you wanted a nonalcoholic version of the dessert for kids (because I believe rum balls aren't cooked) or if you're like me, and don't particularly like rum enough to buy a bottle
                    My NaNo page

My author blog

Comment

Quoth Kheldarson View Post
                      I do believe rum essence is flavoring, like vanilla extract. And you'd use it in you wanted a nonalcoholic version of the dessert for kids (because I believe rum balls aren't cooked) or if you're like me, and don't particularly like rum enough to buy a bottle
                      You would also use it if you are only adding a few teaspoons of the extract to something, and thus need a very concentrated flavor. Enough actual rum to make something taste rummy would throw off the liquid in a recipe.
                      My webcomic is called Sidekick Girl. Val's job is kinda like retail, except instead of corporate's dumb policies, it's the Hero Agency, and the SC's are trying to take over the world.

Comment

Just posting to tell Jester that mincemeat is a mixture of dried fruit, candied citrus peel, suet, alcohol and spices. It did have minced beef in it in the distant past, but as dried fruit became more affordable the meat was taken out. It is made into mince pies using shortcrust pastry and traditionally served warm with brandy or rum butter.
                        Here's a link to a mincemeat recipe and my favourite mince pie recipe.
                        http://www.deliaonline.com/recipes/m...mincemeat.html
                        http://www.bbc.co.uk/food/recipes/mymincepies_71055

Hope that is useful.

Comment

Hey, Jester, no, I only have the spiced rum that you said wasn't anything too special (but I think it's better than Capt. Morgan). I haven't found the vanilla yet, but I'm still looking....
                          When you start at zero, everything's progress.

Comment

Quoth Kheldarson View Post
                            If you're cooking enough, you don't have to like something to use it. Not the best example (because I actually like it), but at this point in my life, I buy Jack Daniel's ONLY for cooking. (It's a major player in my chili recipe.) I can't remember the last bottle of it that I bought that I actually drank any of.

Your first point is noted, as I was unaware that there was no cooking involved.

Quoth sdg31000 View Post
                            Just posting to tell Jester that mincemeat is a mixture of dried fruit, candied citrus peel, suet, alcohol and spices. It did have minced beef in it in the distant past, but as dried fruit became more affordable the meat was taken out.
                            So, there is no actual meat in mincemeat? Makes total sense.

And what, pray tell, is suet?

Quoth MoonCat View Post
                            Hey, Jester, no, I only have the spiced rum that you said wasn't anything too special (but I think it's better than Capt. Morgan). I haven't found the vanilla yet, but I'm still looking....
                            I don't know that it's better than Captain (it's a subjective thing, really), but I'd say it's as good as it.

For a truly great spiced rum, I highly recommend Kilo Kai, if you can find it.

And I highly recommend that if you see Kraken in the liquor store, you just keep right on walking. Blech.

"The Customer Is Always Right...But The Bartender Decides Who Is
                            Still A Customer."

Comment

Suet is raw beef (or mutton) fat.
                              My webcomic is called Sidekick Girl. Val's job is kinda like retail, except instead of corporate's dumb policies, it's the Hero Agency, and the SC's are trying to take over the world.

Comment

My mother would make real mincemeat in the winter... beef, beef heart, suet, apples, raisins, sugar... all ground together and left in a pan like a giant pie tin (18" across, 8" high) in the kitchen entry hall/washroom (cool, not freezing) to ferment.

We'd sneak dollops out of the pan as we traipsed in and out... She froze what was left... It kept bubbling while frozen, so I guess we had some powerful yeasties in it.
                                I am not an a**hole. I am a hemorrhoid. I irritate a**holes!
                                Procrastination: Forward planning to insure there is something to do tomorrow.
                                Derails threads faster than a pocket nuke.

Comment

Working...
                                X