This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Trials of a Closing Store

I recently learned that my store is going out of business. Literally only two days ago. I get a call an hour before my shift is to start: "Oh by the way the store is closing." It was on its last legs but everyone felt that it was going to happen a little ways down the road, like at the end of the year or something. No warning, no "Hey guys the store ain't doing so well so be on the lookout and maybe start looking for jobs." Just "Hey we're closing the place as soon as our inventory is gone. Good luck guys!
    Did I mention that I was promoted to CSA just two weeks ago? And that most other CSAs had left? Yeah, let's let the new guy deal with the brunt of the vultures!

Anywho, that's not the suck (though it does suck). The suck has been the customers. All day. Today we started our going-out-of-business sale. 25% off the entire order. Problem is that for a long time we had a deal for seniors that would take 10% off each item. Also, the communication was that everything was 25% off. A slight mistake but people FOREVER thought that each item would show on the screen taking 25% off. Nope, it's automatic. Had to answer that ALL DAY.

Also, with the store closing we couldn't take any store coupons, and we couldn't take checks. You'd think that this was done purely out of spite or something. "I've used checks here forever! I can't get anything then!" Look at my face. This is my IDGAF face. Also with the store closing price stickers were being reset to default all over the place. Signs with old deals were being removed. Naturally, this being the SC section people were nitpicking prices left and right, examining the checkout screen like they were Sherlock fucking Holmes to find ANY mistake and try to get more of a discount. Hey asswipe, you're already getting 25% off, be grateful and get your shit and GO!

Customers who didn't like what they saw (like learning that they couldn't use their store coupons anymore) would just have us take back the product. Only we couldn't really take it back, we put it into a cart because of the waves of vultures coming in to get their crap. Department heads were operating with no help. They couldn't get any time to take anything back. So food items kept piling up. When I left after 8 hours we had filled 3 and a half carts FULL of stuff that people didn't want because it wasn't cheap enough for their greedy, fat asses.

I mentioned the nitpicking right? Well there were two that REALLY stood out. Thankfully I was only present for one. This was early, with the first wave. A customer came through the SCO with a bunch of stuff and had assumed that each item would show being 25% off, like I said before. She didn't like that. No, you'd think we were stealing from her, or we were incompetent, or something. She got enough for I think $5 off after the 25%. This wasn't nearly enough. She started complaining about EACH AND EVERY ITEM. "This isn't right. That doesn't look correct. Is that the right price?" It was pissing me off. We had to get our store manager in on the action. He eventually got pissed and wanted to get her gone and offered for her to just take everything. "Oh, I can't do that. I'm paying for this stuff." He then offers double the amount off, $10 off. She starts CRYING at this point. "That shouldn't be right. It's at least $25! I'm using this on a party and blahblahblah." All throughout this our SM is saying "What can I do to make you happy with this?"

The second was a customer who checked out fine, but after getting her receipt went up to us and started pointing out this wrong price, and that wrong price, and this was wrong, and check the math on that please? This one I was providing relief on the registers so I could only watch. We had 3 CSAs on shift. One was on lunch (hey, at the time we were slow and he was working long enough that he was about to miss his lunch. Can't have that), one was dealing with Nitpicker 2 and I was on the lanes. So obviously nobody was able to mind the SCOs. She kept CSA C at the desk for 15 MINUTES just trying to spend as little money as possible. Oh, and afterwards? "Thanks for putting up with this. I'm sorry to keep you." No you're not jackhole. If you really were you'd take the 25% and leave us to our misery.

That's been my week. Oh, and I have a big birthday on Saturday. And I have another job that's ending on the 28th. So I have that going for me.

Two jobs ending? That sucks. I'm sorry you're going through that, and wish you the best of luck on the job hunt.

When our store moved locations, we had to liquidate the old one, and yep, our customers would piss and moan because they thought they should get more off. Look pal, you're already getting this huge discount, how about being a bit grateful instead of being greedy and demanding?
    I don't have an attitude problem. You have a perception problem.
    My LiveJournal
    A page we can all agree with!

Comment

My line for people like that would be "the store is going out of business and I'm losing two jobs now. Do you REALLY think I give a fuck what you think the price SHOULD be?!!!"
      "All I've ever learned from love was how to shoot somebody who out-drew ya"

Comment

I'm just wondering why the SM was giving a rat's ass about making that customer happy...Unless, of course, he's already been guaranteed a job elsewhere in the company >_>
        "For a musician, the SNES sound engine is like using Crayola Crayons. Nobuo Uematsu used Crayola Crayons to paint the Sistine Chapel." - Jeremy Jahns (re: "Dancing Mad")
        "The difference between an amateur and a master is that the master has failed way more times." - JoCat
        "Thinking is difficult, therefore let the herd pronounce judgment!" ~ Carl Jung
        "There's burning bridges, and then there's the lake just to fill it with gasoline." - Wiccy, reddit
        "Retail is a cruel master, and could very well be the most educational time of many people's lives, in its own twisted way." - me
        "Love keeps her in the air when she oughta fall down...tell you she's hurtin' 'fore she keens...makes her a home." - Capt. Malcolm Reynolds, "Serenity" (2005)
        Acts of Gord – Read it, Learn it, Love it!
        "Our psychic powers only work if the customer has a mind to read." - me

Comment

Quoth XCashier View Post
          When our store moved locations, we had to liquidate the old one, and yep, our customers would piss and moan because they thought they should get more off.
          They want to get more off when the store is liquidating? They're a bunch of morons.

Quoth EricKei View Post
          I'm just wondering why the SM was giving a rat's ass about making that customer happy.
          If the SM DIDN'T make that customer happy, what was he going to do? Stop shopping at the store? Heck, even if the SM makes him happy, he's going to stop shopping there soon. "Going out of business" sales don't have to worry about keeping repeat customers.
          Any fool can piss on the floor. It takes a talented SC to shit on the ceiling.

Comment

Yeah, I have to say, they closed my store (long, long ago) from one day to the next without warning to us, but if I was given warning, my customer service to people trying to be demanding or haggling would have nose-dived. After all, the company has already decided to fire me, so they can't really inflict any worse punishment.

Comment

I went through that when my former store closed. Store closings sure bring out the vultures. A few tips:

Make some Bingo cards of stupid stuff customers say. Management actually did that at my store. It helps take the edge off people saying the same thing over and over and over.

Get good at saying "I'm sorry, prices are set by a liquidator and I don't have the authority to change them."

Come up with a few mental images that calm you. Can be a peaceful beach, a cute puppy, whatever works. Think of that and breathe when you get frustrated.

Do your best to eat healthy and get enough water. It helps keep your resistance to BS as high as possible.
              "I try to be curious about everything, even things that don't interest me." -Alex Trebek

Comment

I'm not usually one to burn bridges, but if this store is going out of business anyway, and you're losing your job there because of it, why couldn't you "tell off" a few customers?

What are they gonna do? Complain? Get you fired? The store is closing anyway.
                Skilled programmers aren't cheap. Cheap programmers aren't skilled.

Comment

Quoth WishfulSpirit View Post
                  Make some Bingo cards of stupid stuff customers say. Management actually did that at my store. It helps take the edge off people saying the same thing over and over and over.
                  It has been featured in the Retail comic.

And many other places.
                  "I don't have to be petty. The Universe does that for me."

Comment

At least these SC's will keep their promises when the offer to never shop there again.
                    I'm trying to see things from your point of view, but I can't get my head that far up my keister!

Who is John Galt?
                    -Ayn Rand, Atlas Shrugged

Comment

To quickly answer why the SM caved to the customer, I think it was more of a "get her out of here FAST" thing. If we had said no then I'm convinced she would stay and bitch and make a scene. We don't want more stress in there so anything to get these jerks out I guess.

And the second job that's ending is another run of a show. I knew it was coming and it's nothing really unusual. The timing coinciding this way doesn't help things though.

Comment

Quoth mjr View Post
                        I'm not usually one to burn bridges, but if this store is going out of business anyway, and you're losing your job there because of it, why couldn't you "tell off" a few customers?

What are they gonna do? Complain? Get you fired? The store is closing anyway.
                        My thoughts exactly...be polite to the nice customers, but for the ones who are being deliberate assholes, just let it fly. You're gonna be out of a job soon anyways, so why not?

Comment

I witness this in a major dept store, that was closing a location near me. Company is still in business but that particular location was going. I hadn't realized it was literally the last day, and went in, looking for something specific. I found a few other things too, but all the "good" stuff either had been sent to other stores or sold. they were even selling the fixtures!

And if I recall correctly, EVERYTHING left was 70 or maybe even 80% off. so I'm in line to pay, and there are two cashiers. I felt so badly for them as everyone was questioning the prices. I myself got two small $50 purses for $10, each, so yeah, 80% off. I was thrilled.

Woman next to me was going on about some men's dress shirt, normally $40, rang up at 8. hey, that's great. Nope she thought it should be less. Really? 80% off DOES NOT MEAN everything is a dollar. you want to pay a dollar? go to the dollar store.

Comment

If I see a going out of business sale, I usually try to at least stop in and look. If the price is still higher than I'm willing to pay, I just *gasp* don't buy it. I like a good deal as much as the next person, but there is nothing I need or want badly enough to argue liquidation prices with a cashier whose job is ending.

I got lucky at one of those types of sales. Small clothing store was going out and I was on the lookout for some stuff for a costume. There was a very specific kind of boot I was looking for and they had one last pair in my size. One of the boots was missing a button, but as cheap as they were I didn't care. If I really wanted to, I could buy a new button and repair it myself, but I'm lazy. I also found a shirt in just the right color for the costume so that saved me from having to spend more for fabric to make one. I was happy.
                            I am no longer of capable of the emotion you humans call “compassion”. Though I can feign it in exchange for an hourly wage. (Gravekeeper)

Comment

I used to go to an independent coffee shop and the barista/owner there made the most amazing coffee. I introduced several of my caffeine addict coworkers to the place and they agreed that it was the best place ever. Sadly, it was in a rather unfortunate location and didn't get enough business to stay open.

The day before the owner closed the shop, he offered to sell me an amazing carved dragon chair that I had complimented on several occasions for $20. I countered with $30 (clawed feet holding balls, leather cushions, amazing detail). He looked shocked and countered with $25 and a free cup of coffee. I ended up paying $50 for it and got a pound of coffee and a nice large cup of coffee.

When I went back the next day to pick up my chair, he was furious at some of the people he had thought were good customers who tried to get "deals" on the other stuff he was selling. He was going out of business, he was selling things because he needed the money and he was selling them CHEAP anyhow.

I still have the chair, it will probably outlive me, its so solidly made. I think I got a smoking deal on it and I didn't feel like a cheap jerk.

Comment

Working...
                              X