This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fine! How about Now? ... wait what?

So first time posting as I don't often feel comfortable writing. This place has been a source of sanity for going on almost 10 years through all sorts of silly jobs. Knowing folks out there having similar issues has been super helpful.

This hurt my head enough that I had to express it somewhere. Here seems like the right place.

I've done a lot of CS jobs mostly phone work for a long time, However now I've picked up a job with a property management co cleaning heritage buildings being used as various medical offices (psych/massage etc. (side effect I'm getting lots of new muscles with these damn stairs)) I'm only to be in the buildings when no clients are there, so I figured that I wouldn't have to deal with SCs. I have since learned otherwise.

All these odd little rooms have become people I interact with in absentia. Odd fussy people. Maybe I'll share the strange another time. Today is just about a particular pair in two different buildings. These were pointed out to me during training as being particularly "special", even so the number of complaints I got in my first 2.5 mo almost cost me this nice job.

I felt I was being very detail oriented, not just cleaning, but also being sure that everything was as undisturbed as possible. However the complaints would come in every monday morning & I'd be back my day off to retouch these rooms. One time, it looked like someone had had a party throwing paper bits everywhere. I'd taken to taking photos of the rooms after I'd been through just to show that I'd cleaned.

So one monday after insomnia & worry I was feeling less than my pro self, and shoved all the furniture in the room all over the place rather than putting it back just so. Silence was the response. ??! So the next weekend in both these offices I just left everything pushed around after cleaning under it, rather than fixing the room to be the way it was when I got in. I got to sleep in that monday. ??? It's just been my 3rd week doing this in just these offices. Blessed silence.

I know that I'm now working a job that I'll never get a compliment on. Or a letter thanking me for untangling 3 months of billing errors. That I'll only hear from these people if there is something wrong. But, I find this work more satisfying than any other I guess that I can see the difference I'm making. Ghosting through and leaving things better then when I arrived. This situation, now that I've divined what's happening, has just left me confused. They seem happier when I do a crappier job. Welp ok! you want a messy office to come home to monday?! Sure!

The thing that blows my mind is these particular offices are ... Fussy. These pieces are always in the same place seemingly to the millimeter. However, they seem happiest when it looks like a whirl-wind has been through. I'm so confused, but hey they can have what they want I guess.

Sorry this is so long. I guess once I get over starting to write it all goes nutz. Maybe I'll share other special stories soon. just with out all the crazy back ground.

Welcome aboard! Glad to hear we've been able to ease the pain a bit. ^_^

And no worries about rambling on or anything. We like ramblers; many of us are. Besides, we don't consider a post to be "long" until it reaches 3 or 4 full-screen pages anyway. Not that you'll hear anyone complain -- those are often the best stories.
    "For a musician, the SNES sound engine is like using Crayola Crayons. Nobuo Uematsu used Crayola Crayons to paint the Sistine Chapel." - Jeremy Jahns (re: "Dancing Mad")
    "The difference between an amateur and a master is that the master has failed way more times." - JoCat
    "Thinking is difficult, therefore let the herd pronounce judgment!" ~ Carl Jung
    "There's burning bridges, and then there's the lake just to fill it with gasoline." - Wiccy, reddit
    "Retail is a cruel master, and could very well be the most educational time of many people's lives, in its own twisted way." - me
    "Love keeps her in the air when she oughta fall down...tell you she's hurtin' 'fore she keens...makes her a home." - Capt. Malcolm Reynolds, "Serenity" (2005)
    Acts of Gord – Read it, Learn it, Love it!
    "Our psychic powers only work if the customer has a mind to read." - me

Comment

Yes, welcome. Sometimes I post a lot and sometimes I'll go years without posting, but I read here every day. It does save my sanity as well.

My guess about the fussy offices is that they didn't really see the mess they left, so thought that you hadn't done your job. When you left things moved so they could see that you had cleaned under them...well, that meant that you had cleaned.

That's all I've got.

Comment

Reminds me of my MIL. She goes around moving things before the maid arrives, the maid puts things back where she found them, then MIL goes in and puts things into their true locations.

Comment

I'll bet dollars to donuts that you putting everything back perfectly led them to believe that you were just going around them rather than moving them to do a thorough job. I've had that complaint before, if they don't see evidence of you doing something then it's assumed that it went undone!

Welcome, pull up some bacon, have a nice cold stool, etc. I think you write very well!
          This was one of those times where my mouth says "have a nice day" but my brain says "go step on a Lego". - RegisterAce
          I can't make something magically appear to fulfill all your hopes and dreams. Believe me, if I could I'd be the first person I'd help. - Trixie

Comment

Working...
          X