Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Demon-haunted computer (also, self-sighting)

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Gah...this thing is just pissing me off.

I'm having the exact same kind of symptoms even when the system is running cool. After a few hours of operation the system becomes unstable to the point where things begin to crash or fail at random. It could be everything from a complete graphical meltdown where the desktop is completely corrupted, won't refresh, and generally implodes. Or it could be instability in random programs where they crash out or simply fail to start. The only way to fix the problem is to power off and then reboot after 15-30 seconds, but the problems just come back in another 3-4 hours.

Ugh. I spent a whole bunch of new money on this rig, everything was working right from the get go...and now the entire thing is a piece of crap, no more stable than the machine was BEFORE the rebuild. And right now the only things held over from the old machine is the chasis, optical drive, video card, and hard drive.

At this point I'd be happy to pay money to tech guys or whatnot if they could only fix the damn problem for me. I don't have any of that fancy certification myself, but I'm most definitely not computer illiterate...I just for the life of me can't figure out what the fuck is going on with this machine!

Comment

PROGRESS!

The bluescreen lists nv4_disp.dll as the error. Now to figure out what the hell whats up with that...

Comment

Try new nvidia drivers, try older nvidia drivers. Try third party nvidia drivers (the nvidia equivalent of Omega.. hrm does Omega make nvidia drivers too? I don't remember). Finally, try another card.

Do as many of those as you can stomach. I truly hate futzing with video drivers.
        Supporting the idiots charged with protecting your personal information.

Comment

Working...
        X