This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Heat wave brings out the idiots

Ok, if it doesn't cool off pretty soon, I'm going to lose it.

It is way too hot to take my daughter to the playground, so we either head to the library, the mall, or to one of the Mcdonald's around here that has a playplace. She gets some social interaction, and we don't sweat our butts off (much). Granted, when it's time to leave, the car is practically in flames, but oh well.

So, last week I took her to one of the bigger McD's here and immediately regret my decision. They were promoting the new Pirates of the Caribbean movie, and were handing out big foam swords to all the kids. Well, guess what, they were beating the shit out of each other with them, and often hitting smaller kids in the process.

I'd like the Darwin award to go to the marketing genius that thought this one up.

So, we hang out for a short while, needless to say, my daughter sees the carnage and doesn't want any part of it, and we end up leaving. Not once, did I see any of the parents reprimanding their brats for beating each other up with those stupid foam swords. Shit like this makes me reconsider home schooling.

We had five groups of people ask us where the car ferry docked... they all gave us the look when we told them the car ferry was one wharf over.

Comment

A friend of mine has two children who love knights and swords etc. The rule he has is that they can hit each others' sword and that's it. Anything else and playtime is over.

Seems to work.

Rapscallion

Comment

Quoth Rapscallion
        A friend of mine has two children who love knights and swords etc. The rule he has is that they can hit each others' sword and that's it. Anything else and playtime is over.

Seems to work.
        Aw, but that's no fun! If you don't let them start chopping wood with those swords, they won't have the muscle to cleave the skulls of mutant killer zombies once WW3 goes down and it's Mad Max time.

Personally, I get tongue-tied when I get overheated. I try not to be an SC, but I'm pretty sure I've been the cause of a few snickers since it's warmed up.
        ...WHY DO YOU TEMPT WHAT LITTLE FAITH IN HUMANITY I HAVE!?! -- Kalga
        And I want a pony for Christmas but neither of us is getting what we want OK! What you are asking is impossible. -- Wicked Lexi

Comment

Man, when I was young we used to beat the crap out of each other with wiffle bats and tree branches. Only rule was don't hit the head.
          "Magic sometimes sounds like tape." - The Amazing Johnathan

Comment

Quoth Crosshair
            Man, when I was young we used to beat the crap out of each other with wiffle bats and tree branches. Only rule was don't hit the head.
            And I totally understand that- boys will be boys. I've got no problem with boys letting off some steam. I would wonder about boys who were quiet and calm too much.

But I have two rules, and they are very firm.

1) Pick on someone your own size. If some 8 year old decides to make my 3 year old their whipping post, they're going to find me unleashing my inner bitch. I wouldn't dream of touching another person's child, but I will put a stop to it and locate their parent.

2) As far as my daughter goes- if you make her cry, I'll make you cry.

Comment

I am a firm user of number 2. I see one person picking on my little sister, you will see a side that said bully will not like.
              Last edited by ArenaBoy; 08-04-2006, 04:55 AM.
              The Grand Galactic Inquisitor hears all and sees all.

Comment

Quoth Mighty Girl
                Hey, don't always take her side, some of the little the little girls on the playground could be really mean. Like the ones who always threw ice chunks instead of snowballs. Damm did those hurt. If you stared to beat the crap out of them YOU where the bad one. If a boy did it, sure, go kick the snot out of him. At my school, girls could so no wrong. Though there where plenty of times the girls beat the crap out of each other. Though you could always get back at them when you played dodgeball or kickball. A few kids could nail them in the legs with the ball just right so they would trip and land on their face. Childhood was fun.

OK now, back on topic. We had been having a heatwave in my area for a little over a week. Holy cow did people b*tch about us being out of window air conditioners. (Hey moron, it's called supply and demand.) I wanted to add $20 to the price. We would have still sold out, but the numbers would have looked better. Even better was the customer who wanted me to hold our last AC unit for him and he would be in the next day to buy it. I said hell no to him. He asked to talk to a manager who told him hell no as well. The AC unit sold 10 min after the call. I also hate people who assume that I know the date and time we will be getting more in. All I know is that they are on order and are not on tonights truck. Thats all I know, I swear. Now leave me alone.

/

Comment

Quoth Crosshair
                  Hey, don't always take her side, some of the little the little girls on the playground could be really mean.

/
                  Oh, don't worry, I know how bad little girls can be. And I wasn't saying that little boys are evil and girls are sugar, spice and everything nice. Jerkwads come in both genders.

Comment

Quoth Crosshair

Wuss. *Kidding* Head was worth extra points! Of course being a girl with all those boy cousins gave me other targets.... I was an evil child. Wait, you had RULES!?
                    Last edited by Tria; 08-04-2006, 07:32 PM.

Comment

Quoth Tria
                      Wait, you had RULES!?
                      My mom's rules (three girls) were no hitting on the head and no biting anywhere.
                      Labor boards have info on local laws for free
                      HR believes the first person in the door
                      Learn how to go over whackamole bosses' heads safely
                      Document everything
                      CS proves Dunning-Kruger effect

Comment

The "no head" rule was so my mom didn't have to keep buying me new glasses.

Comment

Quoth Mighty Girl
                          my brother did make other boys cry, I got teased by 3 boys in my class when I was 9. I dont condone what follows.

He and 4 of his friends met them outside class one day (my brothers 5 years older than me and more protective than I can say) and hung them up on the cloak room hooks. They got one boy wrong, they had me come in and point them out and he wet his pants. They let him off the hook but then turned to the other boys

basically said "you ever touch my little sister again, I'll come back with twice as many guys and you wont walk again"

no one even dared to LOOK at me in class for the next week, I was never ever bullied at the school again. This also happened after months of very physical bulling, 3 boys on 1 girl, the headmaster and teachers knew about it and did nothing. Like I said, I dont condone it, but boy did it ever work.
                          I wasnt put on this earth to make you feel like a man ~ Mary Bertone

Comment

Wow that's amazing. Nobody in my life has ever stuck up for me like that before. I think that's one reason why I cant stand people in general. They do nothing for me and take and take and in return they just get in the way of my progress.

Comment

Quoth Kiwi View Post
                              my brother did make other boys cry, ...basically said "you ever touch my little sister again, I'll come back with twice as many guys and you wont walk again"

no one even dared to LOOK at me in class for the next week, I was never ever bullied at the school again.
                              I wish my brother had stood up for me like that. You're very fortunate.
                              I don't have an attitude problem. You have a perception problem.
                              My LiveJournal
                              A page we can all agree with!

Comment

Working...
                              X