This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Quoth technical.angel View Post
    So, sorry, jadedcarguy, I can't stand by the statement that anyone who works with computers should know what poser is.

While I wouldn't have called it a virus, I would have asked what it was, and figured that it would have some kind of spyware.
    I can't fault someone for not knowing about. I should have phrased my post a little differently. At one point I didn't know about it. What peeves me about these guys is they never listen to what I tell them, and they assume things before I can explain. A good chunk(not all) of these guys are gamers only and think that any other use of a PC is a collosal waste of time, and they don't hide that when they speak to you. I have yet to interact with a Geek Squad rep who I felt took me seriously after I told him I'm not a gamer, but use high end graphics parts. The feeling I get from them is that my PC use is beneath their consideration.
    I know nothing and I can prove it!

Comment

My computer needs

Quoth Jadedcarguy View Post
      A good chunk(not all) of these guys are gamers only and think that any other use of a PC is a collosal waste of time, and they don't hide that when they speak to you. I have yet to interact with a Geek Squad rep who I felt took me seriously after I told him I'm not a gamer, but use high end graphics parts. The feeling I get from them is that my PC use is beneath their consideration.
      My computer needs are very different than most people, I build my own hardware (chip level not plug-in boards), I write my own device drivers, I write my own software because you can't buy any that will do what I want. Yet, I get people trying to claim they have superior systems because of it's CPU clock rate or high-end video card installed, to me all that is just junk as it will not do what I need PERIOD!
      Last edited by earl colby pottinger; 08-30-2007, 04:17 AM.

Comment

Quoth earl colby pottinger View Post
        My computer needs are very different than most people, I build my own hardware (chip level not plug-in boards), I write my own device drivers, I write my own software because you can't buy any that will do what I want. Yet, I get people trying to claim they have superior systems because of it's CPU clock rate or high-end video card installed, to me all that is just junk as it will not do what I need PERIOD!
        "What are we doing tonite, Mr. Pottinger?"

"Same thing we do every night, try to take over the world!"

Comment

Cookie
          Yay! I got a cookie!
          I AM the evil bastard!
          A+ Certified IT Technician

Comment

I just want to take this moment to say rant, maybe I take it personally..

There are some retail techs who know their arse from a hole in the ground. Like me. I work for Circuit City. I know what Poser is, I know a lot about 3D modelling and rendering software, because Im majoring in arts and not computers. I know more than just the modular part names, I know what they stand for, I know the complete history of the Intel VS AMD processor wars from the 8088 to the Core2Duo and other nonsense like that.

I know how to check for motherboard damage by looking for popped caps and yellow/browning. ESPCIALLY I know not to plug a floppy connector into the CPU Fan port.

I do not think big gfx cards are just for gaming. There are different cards suited to different things. I wouldn't use a Quadro for gaming, it isn't exactly pimping streaming processes or pixel pipelines left and right. I also do not look down upon ANYONE who doesn't play games, becuase computers were made in a variety of ways to meet a variety of needs (although "I just want a basic system" can be boring after 20 customers).

So,.. I mean I know a lot of Geek Squad/Easy Tech/Firedog people are morons, but please, we're not all ignorant.

Comment

:: gives Pezzle a hug and the fem techie handshake ::
              SC: “Yeah, Bob’s Company. I'm Bob. It's my company.” - GK
              SuperHotelWorker made my Avi!!

Comment

Quoth Pezzle View Post

So,.. I mean I know a lot of Geek Squad/Easy Tech/Firedog people are morons, but please, we're not all ignorant.
                No one said you all were. Come on guys, take it with a grain of salt. You said yourself that a lot of these guys were morons, the ones I have dealt with at my local BB were pretty indifferent to my needs once they found out I'm not a gamer, and that is who I was talking about, not you. I wouldn't even call them morons, as they clearly had an understanding of what they were doing, they just didn't care what I was doing. I made a blanket statement earlier, I retracted it, and you're still laying into me for it?!? Don't take it so personally.

Please, start a thread detailing a bad experience you had getting parts for your car. That way I can get pissed off and say that we're mostly good guys who know our shit, with a few morons thrown into liven it up. Every profession has idiots, that is what makes those of us who are good at what we do stand out.

Comment

Every profession has idiots, that is what makes those of us who are good at what we do stand out.
                  I read a lot into it, just because of some comments I've recieved at work before the customer even talked to me -_-;

Comment

Quoth Pezzle View Post
                    I read a lot into it, just because of some comments I've recieved at work before the customer even talked to me -_-;
                    No worries. I don't want you or tech angel thinking I'm saying anything about you guys. I'm sure you're good at what you do.

Comment

Well, both sides of this are why assumptions are bad!
                      SC: “Yeah, Bob’s Company. I'm Bob. It's my company.” - GK
                      SuperHotelWorker made my Avi!!

Comment

No worries. I don't want you or tech angel thinking I'm saying anything about you guys. I'm sure you're good at what you do.
                        It actually wasn't even meant for you. I had to vent, and you just became the path of least resistance. I'm sorry.

Comment

Quoth Pezzle View Post
                          It actually wasn't even meant for you. I had to vent, and you just became the path of least resistance. I'm sorry.
                          It's all good.

Comment

Quoth Pezzle View Post
                            I know how to check for motherboard damage by looking for popped caps and yellow/browning. ESPCIALLY I know not to plug a floppy connector into the CPU Fan port.
                            Oh, man, usually when I fry motherboards it's pretty obvious to everyone. The big black scorch marks usually give it away.

Comment

Quoth Gurndigarn View Post
                              Oh, man, usually when I fry motherboards it's pretty obvious to everyone. The big black scorch marks usually give it away.
                              My favorite is the popped caps. When the electrolytic juicy goodness is leaking and oxidizing on the PCB (what is it, lithium? I forget.)

Comment

Quoth Pezzle View Post
                                Hey, us retail tech slaves have feelings too...
                                Sorry, I wasn't trying to say that everybody working at Staples or Best Buy are morons. I know there are plenty of intelligent, well-trained techs like us out there who actually earned their certifications, but there are also an unholy fuckload of asshats out there.

EDIT: And I've released the mysterious blue smoke from motherboards too. If course, that was when trying to precariously test a motherboard of unknown function balanced on top of a stripped-down case during a hideously dry day. But still.
                                Last edited by Acolyte; 09-11-2007, 01:38 AM.
                                Burn the land and boil the sea, you can't take the sky from me!

I like big bots and I cannot lie.

Comment

Working...
                                X