This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 6 Things I don't get....

1. I don't get the aversion people have to installing Microsoft runtimes (example: .NET Framework 2.0) in order to make software they want to install work. I've been on forums where some people said they would rather refuse to install the software rather than have to download the runtime. Why? IT'S FREE!! Then they bitch at the vendor for requiring the runtime then they bitch at Microsoft for making it.

2. I don't get why people buy PCs that can barely run the OS that's installed on them, then bitch at me for saying that the PC only has enough memory to run the OS and if they want better performance they need to upgrade. Then they bitch at the manufacturer for making the PC underpowered and then bitch that the store sold them a piece of crap.

3. I don't get it when a person gets infected because good ol' IE let in a virus, I advise them to use a 3rd party browser (FF or Opera) and they quip "I like IE, I won't use anything else!" Then they act like you insulted them when you tell them "Ok, then continue to use IE but you'll keep getting infested." Then if they DO download a 3rd party browser they refuse to download the plugins to make it even safer. Example: NoScript.

4. I don't get why Norton and McAfee are still so popular, yet half the time they miss threats and get easily disabled by viruses. Also, they get pretty venomous when they expire (slowness, loss of access to secure sites, etc...).

5. Speaking of security software, I don't get why ISP-provided security suites are so crappy. The Verizon Internet Security (they one people pay $5 a month for) is the worst offender, EVERY time I get a client that has it installed I have to remove it to fix the issue. I'm not kidding. Another bad one is CA Internet Security. It runs like crap even on PCs with lots of memory. Usually, I just uninstall it and the issue is fixed. I then tell clients it's best to pay for a reputable suite that will be better off for them.

6. I don't get why Lexmark printers are still popular, yet they are consistently low-rated in publications and suck ink like it's going out of style. I try to tell people to stay away, but they end up being taken by the machine's low purchase price. Then they bitch that the printer is "drinking ink like a fish." Not to mention the build quality is terrible. I owned a Lexmark printer for a year and the cover broke off in six months! I got rid of it in less than a year of ownership for an HP. Never again!
    Last edited by sld72382; 02-05-2008, 11:32 PM.

I use McAfee. It does the job BUT if you know something that's better then I'm all ears. Better to have McAfee than not to use nothing at all.

Comment

Points taken. In concerns to Lexmark, I really don't know why I opted to get another one after the BS I dealt with with my old one. What also irritates me is you can never seem to get parallel cables for printers anymore. Look, I don't have very many USB ports. Yes, I could get a USB hub, but hey, I'm cheap...so sue me (and I'll laugh at your settlement of 5 cents).

As far as the Norton/McAfee problem, never used McAfee, but from what I can tell, most installations are trials that are preset on the PC when you go to buy them. And in regards to Norton, all the tools and such are nice little features, but they've been around enough that people deliberately go about exploiting aspects of Norton to the point that it's a laughable source of security anymore. I opted for security through obscurity by getting an antivirus I'd never heard of but was apparently high rated (Kaspersky) and I'm liking it so far, though it can be a little restrictive.

Ditto on the ISP security suites being crap. I don't even recommend mine. If a customer specifically asks about it, yeah, I'll transfer to level 2, but I don't like to. As far as system specs, you know, each ISP has the minimum requirements for service somewhere easily accessible, often on their website. It's the customer's own dumbass fault if he/she opts NOT to do research. Sure, IT'S TEH INTARWEBZ!!111!...but come on...it's still going to use resources just like EVERYTHING ELSE if your Snail PC.
      You can find me on Backloggery, Facebook, Twitch, Twitter, YouTube

Comment

Quoth Bright_Star View Post
        I use McAfee. It does the job BUT if you know something that's better then I'm all ears. Better to have McAfee than not to use nothing at all.
        AVG Free Edition works for me.

Comment

Quoth trunks2k View Post
          AVG Free Edition works for me.
          Yup, been using it for years. It's great!

http://free.grisoft.com
          <Insert clever signature here>

Comment

In defense of IE, you *can* make it pretty safe to use by setting the right options. It's not that hard, and hell, doesn't even require that you download plugins (which themselves could contain keyloggers, whee).

Comment

Quoth gunsage View Post
              Points taken. In concerns to Lexmark, I really don't know why I opted to get another one after the BS I dealt with with my old one. What also irritates me is you can never seem to get parallel cables for printers anymore. Look, I don't have very many USB ports. Yes, I could get a USB hub, but hey, I'm cheap...so sue me (and I'll laugh at your settlement of 5 cents).
              Here you go, all kinds. Enjoy

http://www.pacificcable.com/ParallelCables.htm
              The Rich keep getting richer because they keep doing what it was that made them rich. Ditto the Poor.
              "Hy kan tell dey is schmot qvestions, dey is makink my head hurt."
              Hoc spatio locantur.

Comment

Quoth sld72382 View Post
                6. I don't get why Lexmark printers are still popular, yet they are consistently low-rated in publications and suck ink like it's going out of style. I try to tell people to stay away, but they end up being taken by the machine's low purchase price.
                You got it right there. Yeah, Lexmark sucks. But they're usually given away free with the computer (after mail-in rebate). My best success was with Canon. CHEAP ink, and it doesn't go through it all that fast, either, and decent enough print quality for me.

Comment

Norton is so fun. My father and I both, refuse to use it. And if were asked to fix a computer that has it. The VERY first thing we do is uninstall norton... sad thing is, 99% of the time, that fixes the problem.

I use AVG myself, too.
                  http://www.vilecity.com/index.php?r=221271
                  Cyberpunk mayhem!

Comment

AVG here.

Low-end printers of all brands are utter crap these days. They're ink/toner guzzlers.

I have a couple Samsung lasers that work great. 17ppm on 8.5x11. Just simple B&W lasers. Love them. Indestructable.
                    "Always stand near the door." -- Doctor Who

Kuya's Kitchen -- Cooking, Cooking Gadgets, and Food Related Blather from a Transplanted Foodie

Comment

Quoth symposes View Post
                      Norton is so fun. My father and I both, refuse to use it. And if were asked to fix a computer that has it. The VERY first thing we do is uninstall norton... sad thing is, 99% of the time, that fixes the problem.

I use AVG myself, too.
                      I have the paid edition of AVG Internet Security, mainly because I have Vista x64 and
                      the Free AVG isn't x64 compatible.

As far as removing Norton, I don't know why but 80% of my fellow techs seem to have an aversion to removing ANY security software to try and fix a problem (not just Norton). Mainly because I was told if the tech removed the software and the client did not replace it with anything, the client could very well go after us if he/she got a virus with "well the tech removed it and left me with nothing!" Which is why I perform an easy CYA move: have the client verbally acknowledge that they need to replace it with something, and put it in the case notes.

This aversion has caused me grief when I get clients that are upset that I'm the 5th or 6th tech and the issue hasn't been resolved yet, and all I have to do is remove the security software and all is well. It makes the other people look like idiots when I solved the issue in 30 minutes and the other techs wrung them around with fruitless scans for 2 hours.

Comment

I used to use the free version of AVG, and I installed it on my daughter's old laptop.
                        I downloaded it right from their site.
                        I had used the free version for years and never had any issues, but about a year ago, she began to get a message every day saying she was using a bootleg version of their software, and telling her to go to their site and buy their original AVG software.
                        (On my own old computer, I had used the free version for a long time, but then decided to pay for the full program. That computer died on me, and I lost the registration code to install the paid version on the other computer.)
                        Too tired of living and too tired to end it. What a conundrum.

Comment

Quoth sld72382 View Post
                          I have the paid edition of AVG Internet Security, mainly because I have Vista x64 and
                          the Free AVG isn't x64 compatible.
                          ...Yeah it is. I can prove it. *goes to desktop* *checks anti-virus*. Yep. AVG Free. x64 Vista. There you go. Not sure what happened when you tried to install it, but I didn't have any issues other than actually *finding* it. I kept getting directed to trial versions and downloabable full versions.
                          Ba'al: I'm a god. Gods are all-knowing.

http://unrelatedcaptions.com/45147

Comment

Quoth sld72382 View Post
                            2. I don't get why people buy PCs that can barely run the OS that's installed on them, then bitch at me for saying that the PC only has enough memory to run the OS and if they want better performance they need to upgrade. Then they bitch at the manufacturer for making the PC underpowered and then bitch that the store sold them a piece of crap.
                            Wow, one straight out of my day.

Girl comes in complaining that she has a virus, and the virus scan wasn't picking it up. Since virus is the one word used to explain any issue on campus, C had her start up the laptop so she could show us the issue.

SS- Sucky Student

C - "It says you're out of hard drive space."
                            SS - "It said that before, but I cleaned it out!"
                            C - "You have 37kb free."
                            SS - "I told you, I ALREADY cleaned it out! I need this program to work!"

After a bit of back and forth, I gather that the program in question is a video editing software. I look at the laptop.

It has a 40gb harddrive. 40gb. C's still acting like she's going to troubleshoot this baby. The student is nearly hyperventilating. What is it about me and freaked out students lately??

It all started with "People are listening into my phone conversations" girl, I think.

So, I explain in very simple terms. Video editing bad. New hard drive good. Best Buy good, Helpdesk BAD.

She then figures she could move a gig of stuff onto her thumb drive and be good, so she starts quizzing me about backing up her iTUNES. HER FREAKING iTUNES.

I finally get her to go away.

She calls a little bit later, saying she couldn't remove a program.

Yep, folks, her laptop was so full, it couldn't write the necessary backup info TO REMOVE A PROGRAM.

So, once again, I told her she needed to move as many files as possible onto her thumb drive, then try again.

"Do I have to delete them off my computer after they're on the thumb drive?"

Only if you WANT THE DA..... RN thing to work!!!!!

She finally goes away... again.

Then, yes, she calls... AGAIN.

Now, our antivirus is throwing up errors, and once again, "YOU NEED TO REMOVE STUFF FROM THE LAPTOP".

I explain, she's going to have to get some space cleared up, uninstall the program, and get a disc from us and reinstall.

I get a frustrated "UGH!" and a click.

I was actually glad someone hung up on me.

Shocking.
                            SC: “Yeah, Bob’s Company. I'm Bob. It's my company.” - GK
                            SuperHotelWorker made my Avi!!

Comment

Quoth sld72382 View Post
                              1. I don't get the aversion people have to installing Microsoft runtimes (example: .NET Framework 2.0) in order to make software they want to install work.
                              I have to admit I'm one of those people. I hate the NET runtimes (mostly because it not just runtime). Version 2.0 not bad, but still won't put 1.1 on my computer. But I know my reason for why, and I don't push my reason on to other people.
                              I've lost my mind ages ago. If you find it, please hide it.

Comment

Working...
                              X