This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Quoth Dreamstalker
    --a classmate who wanted to install OfficeXP on a PII. How he even got WinXP on that thing was a miracle. Luckily, he was nice when I explained that to do that, he would need a newer computer (he needed a new one anyway).
    that brings back memories.

Back in the day, when I did stuff just to prove I could do it. I manage to get Win95 installed and running on a 286 with only 64K of memory (that is not a mistype K not M). Had to do a complete manual install since the install wouldn't run with that amount of memory. Of course after I pulled it off, I promptly removed it and put DOS 3.2 back on it. Couldn't quite pulled it off on an 8086.

That reminds me, I still got my PentII.
    I've lost my mind ages ago. If you find it, please hide it.

Comment

one of my flatmates completely borked her system so bad i had to reinstall windows.. and than 24 hours later she had borked the system so bad i had to reinstall windows. she completely killed a windows installation within 24 hours.. than proceeded to laugh when i had to do the 2nd install. she didn't laugh when i gave her my bill. i don't normally charge but this was an exceptional circumstance.

Comment

Tejas, I'd have charged her twice!

I had a guy call me up and say "Teh computers' sbeen in the closet for 2 years and I want to use it again, but I forgot the Admin password."

I told him ...Have you tried typing any pw's in?

"No no no I just want someone to do it."

Guy brings box over, I plug it in, starts up...
        XP Pro w/ network login Administrator.

Guess what I did?

Typed *password* and hit enter.
        Started right up.

Turned and looked @ the guy, and said, well, there you go. $75 for 5 min of work.

But while he was going to get the $ I updated his anti virus (2 years!) cleaned his spyware and killed about 6 trojans.

Damn, I wish the jobs I did were that easy.

Cute
        In my heart, in my soul, I'm a woman for rock & roll.
        She's as fast as slugs on barbituates.

Comment

Snake in computer
          http://lios.apana.org.au/%7Ecraig/hu...naketales.html

I first saw this in University of Queensland's website back in Feb 2003.

Comment

Quoth sbandliz
            Snake in computer
            http://lios.apana.org.au/%7Ecraig/hu...naketales.html

I first saw this in University of Queensland's website back in Feb 2003.
            Aw.... Poor snaky....

Comment

Poor little thing...

How did it get inside the PSU?!
              "I am quite confident that I do exist."
              "Excuse me, I'm making perfect sense. You're just not keeping up." The Doctor

Comment

OK. Time to play "identify that comp".

Looks like a P2 to me.
                "I reject your reality and substitute my own"....Adam Savage-Mythbuster

Must remember to stop using "brain of death" on slower morons.... I meant customers.

Comment

Quoth NightWolf
                  I hate it when I see people with either:

A.) A machine better than mine, and know they will never ever have a need for all the bells and whistles.

B.) Someone who killed a good part in their computer because of their idiocy in either tinkering with it or carelessly installing something else near it.

Sigh....I still want to see a social services for computers.

"Sir, I'm sorry, but you've abused this computer for the last time! It's going to a good home where it will be well utilized and loved."
                  That was me yesterday. I, fortunately, was working with a back-to-school-laptop-shopping mother and daughter, so I only had to overhear and watch, but...

Ramblin' Man came back. I posted about him before the last rebuild of this site. His conversational topics wander to all kinds of weird places, usually without much of a pattern or connecting thread. Much of his talk, however, has to do with how technologically smart he is when compared to others, especially his parents (whom he still lives with at age 40).

This time, Ramblin' Man brought his mom. Mom was going to pay for the new computer RM thought they needed. My co-worker, DD, helped them. I felt sympathy, but I'm glad it wasn't me. RM kept sending DD to the register for a price quote (mock transaction which generates a real-looking receipt but doesn't affect store sale records) EVERY SINGLE TIME he added something to or took something away from his cart. He wanted the most expensive desktop system, which, ironically, is not our best system, and he would not be disuaded. So DD added upgrades (graphic cards and the like) to get this computer up to RM's needs, having to explain all the while why each different feature and/or upgrade was necessary to make the computer do what RM wanted it to do. Of course, in the midst of this, RM has to tell DD all about his mom's new car, his ex-girlfriend, and his collection of Babylon-5 and Battlestar Gallactica DVDs.

He finally got rung out, blowing over $2000 when he could have spent around $1400 for something else that would work just as well, if not better. He claimed he did not need the service contract because he knew how to fix everything that could possibly go wrong with a computer. He declined security software because he claimed he could remove viruses on his own and that he was "immune to spyware," even though he has told us of his hobby of downloading videos and music off LimeWire. He insisted on installing the upgrades on his own. It's going to be a disaster. He knows just enough to be dangerous but doesn't yet know he's dangerous.

I pity the techs who will have to try to help him when problems arise.

At least he's friendly in his annoying sort of way.
                  I suspect that... inside every adult (sometimes not very far inside) is a bratty kid who wants everything his own way.
                  - Bill Watterson

My co-workers: They're there when they need me.
                  - IPF

Comment

guilty as charged. Well, not a recurring twit, but I have put some strange things in cases and not told the techs.

My most recent mistake, was failing to inform the tech that my system used a rather cool closed cooling circuit. Complete with liquid bath and radiator to keep it super cool. Now, the whole case isn't full of non conductive liquid, but around the mother board there's a series of pump hoses and what not which lead back into the radiator.

The problem was, when I took the system in for regular maintence, I had to use a new company and kinda forgot to tell the tech what was in there. Also, forgot to tell him that it's slippery, stains clothing, and really needs drained before getting into the inner workings of the system.

I think, they charged me extra for carpet cleaning.
                    Learn wisdom by the follies of others.

Comment

It's sad that techs who are more trained and earn more money than a regular store clerk have to have their valuable time wasted by idiots.

When I was in college I worked at the campus computer store. Since I answered the main phone, I had the "privelege" of having to deal with all the twits before passing them on to the tech.

I had this one woman call and ask me if I might have any idea why she couldn't install this program she just bought on her computer. This was in fall 2004. So the conversation went like this:

Me: Ok, ma'am what operating system are you running?"

Twit: "Windows 95"

I put my hand against my head and roll my eyes...

Me: "Ok ma'am I think i may know what your problem is..."

Comment

Quoth protege View Post
                        Has anyone had to deal with someone who couldn't remove their computer's case?
                        No, but I had a case 3(??) years ago, that I could not figure out how to open. I could NOT get it open.

What I had to do was get the model and stuff from the PC, and pass it to another tech that had the time to look up how to open the case. Actually, I think he failed, and the HD manager had to go down and get it.

All to get a network card installed.

Jenni
                        SC: “Yeah, Bob’s Company. I'm Bob. It's my company.” - GK
                        SuperHotelWorker made my Avi!!

Comment

I despise Dell cases. I had one last week where I could not get it open and had to have the user help...the side panel slid out and off, but you had to slide a latch on the back to one side while pressing down on the outer corners of the cover. Latch was in such a location that it was impossible to manipulate the latch and cover at the same moment...which of course you had to do to get the damn thing off.

Finally I had him assist with a flathead screwdriver in the opposite cover edge prying up while I held the latch and slid the panel out. That worked (go figure).
                          "I am quite confident that I do exist."
                          "Excuse me, I'm making perfect sense. You're just not keeping up." The Doctor

Comment

Quoth Dreamstalker View Post
                            I despise Dell cases..
                            I know what you mean...especially if it's the first time the case has been opened. I usually have to hold down the lever with one hand while gently prying the side open with a screwdriver with the other. I like the clamshell ones a whole lot better.

A difficult one for me was from an old Pentium - based Packard Bell - definitely, the company wanted to show that they were clearly meant not to be opened.

Comment

I have a case that it took me about 30 minutes to get it open. You had to remove the from basel and the side panel screws were behind it. Ultimately I liked the case but at first I hated it.
                              Bow down before me for I am ROOT

Preserving precious bodily fluids sine 1952

Comment

I don't know why some cases are difficult to open. It's like they don't want people upgrading their stuff

The only Dell case I had a problem with, was the one on my first new 'puter, back in 1993. Apparently, someone at the factory misaligned one of the bolt holes...which caused the bolt to strip itself. Getting that off was a pain.

Another favorite was the (now-scrapped) Compaq case. This thing was a one-piece cover...that *never* fit properly after I'd removed it the first time. To get the case back on, you had to hold all 3 sides against the chassis, and slide it on. More often than not, the damn thing wouldn't fit!

My favorite (no sarcasm here) case is the one I have now. This one doesn't use any bolts. All of the panels attach with clips. It's a simple matter to remove the side panels--just push the clips in, and off it pops.
                                Aerodynamics are for people who can't build engines. --Enzo Ferrari

Comment

Working...
                                X