Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Of course the OEMs don't want that; when people find out that almost everything is standard they won't pay through the nose for parts.

I like the current Compaq cases; fairly easy to open (although not as easy as mine--just remove the thumbscrews, flip up the latch on the face and away you go).

The old 286 cases...now those are a pain (before I moved back here, I was halfway through gutting one for a project).
    "I am quite confident that I do exist."
    "Excuse me, I'm making perfect sense. You're just not keeping up." The Doctor

Comment

ha ha, the 286/386 compaq cases. Woot what a memory, the only case that was permanently "unscrewed". But I will say this, those old compaq cases were almost indestructible. Steel frames, some even had steel sheets and not tin like most others did. Weight more than the monitors which was quite a feat considering in those days monitors weren't lightweight either.
      I've lost my mind ages ago. If you find it, please hide it.

Comment

I've got an HP case that's a royal pain to work in. Oh sure, it's easy to get off, but only one side of the thing comes off. There's two huge thumb screws in the back that you loosen, then grip a built in handle and pull back. The whole side just slides away in one big piece.

Sure, it sounds nice, but when you look in there and realise that there's no earthly way you're going to reach some of the inner workings of the thing you come to realise that HP engineers are sadists.
        Learn wisdom by the follies of others.

Comment

Quoth repsac View Post
          .....HP engineers are sadists.
          They learned from the best, Compaq.

Comment

I don't know. If you look inside a Pavilion.....

You have to dismantle the entire PC to add RAM, because the structural supports for the power supply lies directly above half of the stick slots.

Jenni
            SC: “Yeah, Bob’s Company. I'm Bob. It's my company.” - GK
            SuperHotelWorker made my Avi!!

Comment

I've had both Compaq and HP the same way. HP more often once they took over Compaq.

Comment

Quoth technical.angel View Post
                I don't know. If you look inside a Pavilion.....

You have to dismantle the entire PC to add RAM, because the structural supports for the power supply lies directly above half of the stick slots.

Jenni
                Must only be the newer pavillions. I got an HP Pavillion in 1999, and I can't count how many times the RAM has been switched in and out of that machine. We have 5 computers for the 4 people in the house, and the HP is the easiest, reliable machine to test RAM in.
                The only words you said that I understood were "His", "Phone" and "Ya'll". The other 2 paragraphs worth was about as intelligible as a drunken Teletubby barkin' come on's at a Hooter's waitress.

Comment

Or maybe newer... my Pavilion was purchased in 2000.

Jenni
                  Last edited by technical.angel; 09-12-2006, 05:31 PM. Reason: forgot angel smiley
                  SC: “Yeah, Bob’s Company. I'm Bob. It's my company.” - GK
                  SuperHotelWorker made my Avi!!

Comment

Has anyone ever worked on a DEC (Digital Equipment Corp) machine? We had one at work, and it was a POS. The motherboard in that thing was 18" square...and was in two halvest that plugged into each other. I'm still trying to figure out why their engineers thought that was a good idea
                    Aerodynamics are for people who can't build engines. --Enzo Ferrari

Comment

Everything is a good idea to an engineer.

Comment

Quoth protege View Post
                        Has anyone ever worked on a DEC (Digital Equipment Corp) machine? We had one at work, and it was a POS. The motherboard in that thing was 18" square...and was in two halvest that plugged into each other. I'm still trying to figure out why their engineers thought that was a good idea
                        It uses a serpentine back-plane. Considering those 11/73s had a max of 2 meg of memory and operated on about 10mhz they were great machine. We continued to use them until the late 90s and we only quit because we couldn't get replacement parts or repairs. Our ran on TSX and we used COBOL for a programming language. They weren't fast but it was hard to knock one down.
                        Bow down before me for I am ROOT

Preserving precious bodily fluids sine 1952

Comment

Working...
                        X