X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Does anyone else hate Windows 7...

... or is it just me?

I've spent the last 6 days trying to figure this OS out and with every new bit of info I learn, I hate it even more.

For the record, I spent 7 years on a Windows Me machine. I loved Me (I bet you've never heard that before). It was simple, clear, easy to use and customize. Never had any problems with Me until Microsoft stopped supporting it and updates were no longer available.

For the past year or so I've been on an older Windows XP machine (OS was updated from Windows 2000). I could still customize XP somewhat to my liking but never really 'got to know it' inside and out like I did with Me. Now I'm on this new PC with Windows 7 and it feels like the whole of cyberspace has gone haywire!
    • The control panel is a nightmare.

• The search function is a joke. It can't find files that I KNOW exist.

• Libraries - what the hell???

• There are two instances of Documents which confuses the heck outta me.

• The Start Menu no longer offers the classic view.

• Outlook Express can't be used for your email app. It appears your only options are webmail or purchasing Outlook (which I also hate, BTW).

• The 'Snap' feature only seems to work if it feels like it...and it seldom feels like it.

• I hate the Taskbar. You can't drag shortcuts to it (you can pin some - but they seem to appear anywhere they want to - without any order) and you can no longer customize the icons. I liked being able to customize my icons because each individual folder had it's own icon image which made it quickly recognizable...therefore, quickly accessed.

• I hate the extra steps you have to take to open a new window in IE8.

• It appears you can no longer apply folder options settings to all folders - including folders on a removable CD - and that subfolders open in a 'default' setting...which, it appears, you can't change permanently.

• The 'View Thumbnails' option is gone in Folder Options. You either have to always view icons or thumbnails. And your settings aren't necessarily remembered the next time you open that folder. (ie: View Medium Icons)

• I hate that I can't customize the windows start-up sound.

• And I hate the fact that I keep getting a message that I have to have administrator permissions to change the name of a simple file that I just created two minutes ago!

In a nutshell...I hate Windows 7.

All I've done for the last 6 days is search for solutions to all these troublesome issues, most of which don't seem to have a solution, and am completely ready to boot up the old PC with XP on it and give this one the boot - right out the door.

Whew! I feel better now. (Not really)
    Last edited by Retail Associate; 01-10-2010, 07:28 AM.
    Retail Haiku:
    Depression sets in.
    The hellhole is calling me ~
    I don't want to go.

Haven't gotten to try Win7 yet but I did run into the search issue under Vista.

Sometimes poking at options get better results, more often I just break down and use the Win 2k box and search over the network...it's a little slower that way but also easier to see given my setup. The first can be tacked on the OS, the second...not so much. Just my bad eyes and a high res for gaming.

I used ME for a number of years, in fact we just retired the last ME install around here about 2 weeks ago, replacing it with 2k and a bigger, speedier hard drive. Nothing like going from ATA33 to an ATA100, 7200 RPM drive to make a machine feel fast as the wind, I tell you!

To be honest, I can't say anything bad about the OS itself...merely I like 2k better after having several years experience with both. I also had it very heavily tweaked which helped with most of the common issues.
    "English is the result of Norman men-at-arms attempting to pick up Saxon barmaids and is no more legitimate than any of the other results."
    - H. Beam Piper

Comment

Quoth Retail Associate View Post
      Outlook Express can't be used for your email app. It appears your only options are webmail or purchasing Outlook (which I also hate, BTW).
      There's always Windows Live Mail, which I tried and didn't really care for. And any other email program, free or otherwise, should work just fine. I ended up switching back to Eudora myself.
      Sometimes life is altered.
      Break from the ropes your hands are tied.
      Uneasy with confrontation.
      Won't turn out right. Can't turn out right

Comment

If you've used what is undoubtedly Microsoft's worst operating system, for seven years, and liked it, I'm not surprised you don't like Windows 7. You've missed all the incremental changes to the OS between then and now, so you need to basically learn an entire new operating system.

Search - have you let it build the index yet? Because I've never had any issues finding anything just with the search built in to the start menu.

Control Panel - welcome to a new OS, get used to it.

Libraries - Simply a new way to access certain alike files. It still saves it to the same old places, and you don't have to use them if you don't want to.

Start Menu - again, welcome to a new OS, get used to it. The old version sucked ass anyway.

Outlook Express - If you mean "can't be used to access Hotmail," that's not a Windows 7 thing, they changed that over a year ago by changing the protocols hotmail uses. If you mean "can't be used in general," oh dear, Microsoft stopped supporting a product in favour of other options. You're learning a new OS, perfect time to learn a new email program as well.

Task bar - you can reorder the icons you've pinned to it. Simply drag them around. Don't know what you mean about can't pin everything. I've no issues. If you want individual folders, they appear in the jumplist for the Windows Explorer icon, just right-click on it and you get the entire list.

Folder icon settings- the folders do remember the settings, but they're individually set based on how you got to the folder. Meaning if you hit up a folder using a search, then set the view, but then type it in the next time, it won't have the same settings, but if you set it then, and type it in again, it will remember the settings. This is about the only legitimate gripe in here. For media files, it will give you a thumbnail in the bottom of the window where the details are listed, though it's a small thumbnail.

Windows start-up sound - the other legitimate complaint. Though you can change the log-on sound, so that's something at least. You'd just turn the start-up sound off, then change the log-on sound to whatever you'd wanted.

And finally, complaining about UAC is old hat. If it bugs you that much, turn it off.

Sorry you hate the OS, but it looks like you went in to it wanting it to be exactly what you're used to, rather than looking at it like what it actually is. A different OS.

There, I do feel better.
        Ba'al: I'm a god. Gods are all-knowing.

http://unrelatedcaptions.com/45147

Comment

Chuckles, "Could be worse, you could be me, i needed a laptop and being short on money, that meant switching to Windows7... from OS X. Oy vey, this needs work. I'd offer to help you with your problems, but even after two months, i'm still learning Windows on the fly. One thing, what is your user set up? I was running into quite a few admin requests until i figured out how to set things properly. While i haven't run into it on files on folders, give me some more info (multiple user accounts? Exactly what's triggering it), and i might be able to help you with it."
          Seph
          Taur10
          "You're supposed to be the head of covert intelligence. Right now, I'm not seeing a hell of a lot of intelligence. Covert, overt, or otherwise!"-Lochley, B5, A View from the Gallery

Comment

• The control panel is a nightmare.
            I actually find myself liking the new categories a little more. If it bothers you, you can always switch the view to icons. I still wish they would organize it like OSX where there's icons, but they're also categorized by what they do.

• The search function is a joke. It can't find files that I KNOW exist.
            Like Broomjockey said, have you given it a chance to index everything? I've had no problems with the search function.

• Libraries - what the hell???
            Libraries are brand new, so it's still confuting the hell out of a lot of new users. A little reading here if you care: http://windowsteamblog.com/blogs/dev...libraries.aspx

• There are two instances of Documents which confuses the heck outta me.
            Not quite sure what you're getting at here, unless it's how they categorized the user folder, instead of grouping everything under "My Documents". That came around in Vista, I like it.

• The Start Menu no longer offers the classic view.
            New OS, new rules. The new start menu is actually a lot more efficient, you just have to get used to it. Try typing a program name in the search bar, and it will give you the start link.

• Outlook Express can't be used for your email app. It appears your only options are webmail or purchasing Outlook (which I also hate, BTW).
            MS cut out features that don't really need to be installed by default, and grouped them as "Windows Live Essentials" and put them in Windows Update. You'll find Windows Live Mail in there as well as Messenger, and Movie Maker.

There's always Thunderbird if you want a full featured email client, as well.

• The 'Snap' feature only seems to work if it feels like it...and it seldom feels like it.
            Aero Snap? Never had a problem with it, I just drag the window to the side of the screen and it works.

• I hate the Taskbar. You can't drag shortcuts to it (you can pin some - but they seem to appear anywhere they want to - without any order) and you can no longer customize the icons. I liked being able to customize my icons because each individual folder had it's own icon image which made it quickly recognizable...therefore, quickly accessed.
            Like Broomjockey said, you can drag the pinned icons around to organize them however you want. The Explorer shortcuts are in the jump menu (right click) for the Explorer icon.

• I hate the extra steps you have to take to open a new window in IE8.
            Can't comment here, since I don't use IE. If it bothers you that much, you can always switch to a different browser like Chrome or Firefox.

• It appears you can no longer apply folder options settings to all folders - including folders on a removable CD - and that subfolders open in a 'default' setting...which, it appears, you can't change permanently.

• The 'View Thumbnails' option is gone in Folder Options. You either have to always view icons or thumbnails. And your settings aren't necessarily remembered the next time you open that folder. (ie: View Medium Icons)

• I hate that I can't customize the windows start-up sound.

• And I hate the fact that I keep getting a message that I have to have administrator permissions to change the name of a simple file that I just created two minutes ago!
            Again, can't comment here since I either don't use or haven't had trouble with these features.

Don't worry, if you've managed to use ME and actually *like* it, then you should be able to get along with Microsoft's second best OS to date.

Comment

Since I won't be switching computers or to a new OS for a while what with no money or need I won't be dealing with Windows 7 for a while. I like the classic start menu too and a quick google search as turned up a way to put it back to that format if you want. Other than that, well not every change is bad some just take getting used to and some suck completely (coughoffice2007cough). Play around with it a bit before making up your mind.
              How was I supposed to know someone was slipping you Birth Control in the food I've been making for you lately?

Comment

Generally I get on with windows 7 myself (like it more than vista anyway).

New window in IE is ctrl + n (been like that as far as I can remember, also ctrl + t for new tab).

Apply to all folders is still there afaik: in windows explorer, alt + t to access tools menu, then the folder options thingie is there like other windows versions. ^_^

That thing bothering you about everything you do, it's called UAC and I disable it myself. (control panel > user accounts > change User Account Control settings > turn slider to what you want it to be, like all the way down for off)

Admittedly I didn't fully ready your post though, just some of the bits but hope this info makes it a little better for you with win7. ^_^

Comment

I did use Me for seven years but have been using XP for the past year or so. It was fairly easy to customize to my liking. The only incremental change I've missed is Vista, which seems to be considered the second red-headed stepchild to many users.

I've never had to 'let it (search function) build the index' before that I can recall. Didn't know that had to be done. All I know is, I'll be looking at a file or folder in one window while searching for it (to find the path to it) in the Start Menu search box and all I get is "No Items Match Your Search."

I did find an easy solution to the Control Panel view. Just choose 'Large Icons' or 'Small Icons' in the drop-down menu of View by:

Libraries just seems redundant to me and cluttered. Haven't spent much time on them as to whether or not they can just be deleted.

The old version of the Start Menu sucked ass to you...not to me. The new version is hard for me to navigate due to vision impairment. It's hard to explain but it's difficult to find what I'm looking for with all that clicking and all that clutter.

Outlook Express came bundled with IE so it's not a Windows 7 thing, I guess. I liked using it. So do a lot of people. Why change a good thing?

I've finally found ways to make the Taskbar more in line with the way I like it...kind of. It stills sucks IMO.

Folder settings, etc sucks, too.

Start-up sound...tried that the first time I booted up Windows 7...didn't work. I have no idea why. The shut down sound I applied works and so does the new mail sound I applied. Just can't get the Windows Logon sound to work. It's not a big deal, just a bit aggravating.

I've turned off UAC and still get "Access Denied" when I try to change files or save files that I've created mainly in the Stationary folder of Outlook. I spent several hours yesterday trying to save stationary I'd created to that folder and couldn't get it to work. Access Denied.

Windows 7 is definitely a new OS. I had no expectations one way or the other. I just find that it makes what used to be simple tasks, much more frustrating.

Javarod ~ I honestly don't know what's triggering the 'Access Denied' prompt. So far I've only noticed it in certain folders, mainly Microsoft Outlook. I've searched for solutions and have tried to sort it out but still cannot.
                  Retail Haiku:
                  Depression sets in.
                  I don't want to go.

Comment

http://news.cnet.com/8301-13860_3-10426627-56.html

You may find this useful.

Comment

For files which are saying access denied, (usually with files from an old installation or something) you can reclaim the ownership of them using a right-click menu in explorer. ^_^

This needs a registry setting thing first, more info here

Comment

Javarod ~ I honestly don't know what's triggering the 'Access Denied' prompt. So far I've only noticed it in certain folders, mainly Microsoft Outlook. I've searched for solutions and have tried to sort it out but still cannot.
                        Hmm... if it was a program i would say to look in properties and make sure that its not set to run as administrator, since from a normal user account, that'd require the admin's password every time. I believe there is some more permissions on files and all, or if its a specific type of file, it may be a setting on the program you're using to open them. This drove me nuts when i first got started on W7 (over all, i like it, but they could use to take polishing lessons from Apple).
                        Seph
                        Taur10
                        "You're supposed to be the head of covert intelligence. Right now, I'm not seeing a hell of a lot of intelligence. Covert, overt, or otherwise!"-Lochley, B5, A View from the Gallery

Comment

Solve all your problems... Get a Mac.

<ducks and runs like hell to keep from getting pelted>
                          Sorry, my cow died so I don't need your bull

Comment

Quoth EvilEmpryss View Post

<ducks and runs like hell to keep from getting pelted>
                            Get a Linux.

Hey, she started it!

*runs away!*

Ridiculous 2009 Predictions: Evil Queen will beat Martha Stewart to death with a muffin pan. All hail Evil Queen! (Some things don't need elaboration.....) -- Jester

Ridiculous 2010 Predictions: Evil Queen, after escaping prison for last years prediction, goes out and waffle irons Rachel Ray to death. -- SG15Z

Ridiculous 2011 Prediction: Evil Queen will beat Gordon Ramsay over the head with a cast-iron skillet. -- FireHeart

Comment

Quoth EvilEmpryss View Post
                              That thought has crossed my mind a thousand times these past few days.

I have found some solutions/tweaks to some of the (what I consider) drawbacks, so I'm a bit happier about things today. Still miss the ease of setting up and customizing in XP and Me though.

ETA: Javarod ~ I found the problem with Outlook and the constant 'Access Denied' prompts. I had to go through each individual folder and change permissions.
                              Last edited by Retail Associate; 01-11-2010, 08:19 PM.
                              Retail Haiku:
                              Depression sets in.
                              I don't want to go.

Comment

Working...
                              X