X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• D'oh. (Quickie)

Quoth work order
    The issue with the laptop is the keyboard not functioning properly. When you strike the keys you will get a different letter, # or symbol that what you requested.
    I sit down at the laptop.

That key works.
    That key works.
    That key works.
    4??

User "You're going to fix that in two seconds flat, aren't you?"
    Me "Yep! Let me show you what you did."

Me - turns off numlock.

The work order has been sitting in my queue for 3 weeks.
    SC: “Yeah, Bob’s Company. I'm Bob. It's my company.” - GK
    SuperHotelWorker made my Avi!!

I support over 700 stores POS system in our company. We get that kind of call every single day, never fails.
    Never Underestimate the Element of Surprise - Odo, Star Trek: Deep Space Nine

Captain John Rourke(Clear Skies) - Ah, yes. another Black Bird. Are they free with cereal now or something?

Comment

I was expecting to have the conversation go like this...

"The keyboard doesn't work."
      "Did you spill something on it?"
      "HOW'D YOU KNOW???"

Comment

Student "My wireless doesn't work."
        Boss "Do you have your computer with you?"
        Student "No......"

Comment

Quoth technical.angel View Post
          I was expecting to have the conversation go like this...

"The keyboard doesn't work."
          "Did you spill something on it?"
          "HOW'D YOU KNOW???"
          When I worked for <global corporation>, not in but working closely with the main tech support lab for the entire company, a user came in complaining that his laptop keys were 'sticking'.

Turns out that happens after you spill beer into it. At what was claimed to be a business dinner. Where alcohol consumption = instantly fired. Smooth...like sandpaper.

Comment

Student: Why would I need a computer?! I just want wiiiiiireleeeesssssss...
            "For a musician, the SNES sound engine is like using Crayola Crayons. Nobuo Uematsu used Crayola Crayons to paint the Sistine Chapel." - Jeremy Jahns (re: "Dancing Mad")
            "The difference between an amateur and a master is that the master has failed way more times." - JoCat
            "Thinking is difficult, therefore let the herd pronounce judgment!" ~ Carl Jung
            "There's burning bridges, and then there's the lake just to fill it with gasoline." - Wiccy, reddit
            "Retail is a cruel master, and could very well be the most educational time of many people's lives, in its own twisted way." - me
            "Love keeps her in the air when she oughta fall down...tell you she's hurtin' 'fore she keens...makes her a home." - Capt. Malcolm Reynolds, "Serenity" (2005)
            Acts of Gord – Read it, Learn it, Love it!
            "Our psychic powers only work if the customer has a mind to read." - me

Comment

Quoth EricKei View Post
              Student: Why would I need a computer?! I just want wiiiiiireleeeesssssss...
              With no computer, *bam* he is wireless!

^-.-^
              Faith is about what you do. It's about aspiring to be better and nobler and kinder than you are. It's about making sacrifices for the good of others. - Dresden

Comment

Quoth Andara Bledin View Post
                With no computer, *bam* he is wireless!
                ~ba dum bum tsssh~
                "For a musician, the SNES sound engine is like using Crayola Crayons. Nobuo Uematsu used Crayola Crayons to paint the Sistine Chapel." - Jeremy Jahns (re: "Dancing Mad")
                "The difference between an amateur and a master is that the master has failed way more times." - JoCat
                "Thinking is difficult, therefore let the herd pronounce judgment!" ~ Carl Jung
                "There's burning bridges, and then there's the lake just to fill it with gasoline." - Wiccy, reddit
                "Retail is a cruel master, and could very well be the most educational time of many people's lives, in its own twisted way." - me
                "Love keeps her in the air when she oughta fall down...tell you she's hurtin' 'fore she keens...makes her a home." - Capt. Malcolm Reynolds, "Serenity" (2005)
                Acts of Gord – Read it, Learn it, Love it!
                "Our psychic powers only work if the customer has a mind to read." - me

Comment

Adventures with Techie, now with pictures!

Okay, so after the Big Boss took the Laptop of Death and Disease, I was free to do work orders.

I had two. Easy, right? Yeah....

First work order was "loose cables hanging off a wall". From what the caller said, I figured some cables escaped from the conduit.

THIS is what I found...

Yeah.... sent that one to the network admin. Today is his first day back after a month of paternity leave. He needs something to do.

Then, I get to drive across campus for the next work order. All I got from this one is that one user lost internet access. His officemate still has interwebz. I knew that they are both on a switch, so there's a few points of failure. I grabbed a long network cable because the server admin pestered me about it.

I walk in , and notice something odd. Despite knowing I was on my way, the computer was logged out. Normally, this wouldn't be a problem. BUT... since they are technically contractors for the uni, their computers aren't on the domain. SO... it's basically a stand-alone computer.. locked... to a user.... that's in an interview.... So... yeah....

I check the back of the computer. No lights on the card. I find the switch buried in cable spagetti. Sure enough, all the other ports are lit... except the (l)user. Hum.

First thing first, since I can't access the pc. I plugged in my network cable, BAM! Lights on the switch. Well, cables can go bad. Whatev. I run the new cable, and start pulling out the old cable.. a really long cable. Then, I found this...

Yeah, all but ONE wire was broken.

From what I could see, I think the cable got under the little trash can in the office. The kind where you stomp the pedal to open the lid.. One too many stomps, and... no more interwebz.

But it doesn't end, there, oh no.

Being the good little techie I am, I moved the monitor off the computer to check the lights on the card. Lights are good, but.. um... what's this? I look at the computer, which is a little emachine, look at the monitor base.. and replace the monitor to the side of the computer so it WOULDN'T BLOCK THE FAN.

I sighed, and looked at the other computer in the office. Same model.. and then moved it so the fan could actually get air instead of being pressed against a bookshelf.

And, yes, before you say anything, I threw a FIT when I saw they purchased the eMachines. I think managment got it settled that, in the future, if they want free tech support, WE will have a say in the computers purchased, not just the cheapest things on the shelf.

Comment

I think managment got it settled that, in the future, if they want free tech support, WE will have a say in the computers purchased, not just the cheapest things on the shelf.
                    This is for the best. All our computers are purchased through IT, then doled out to the seperate departments. We know exactly what we have, and what specs we have available. It saves so much flailing around when new software is needed.
                    The Rich keep getting richer because they keep doing what it was that made them rich. Ditto the Poor.
                    "Hy kan tell dey is schmot qvestions, dey is makink my head hurt."
                    Hoc spatio locantur.

Comment

Like I said, they are a contractor, so it makes life that much more difficult.

I probably should have left the machines alone, let them die, and then make them replace them with REAL machines. But I just can't participate in the death of a computer.

Comment

I probably should have left the machines alone, let them die, and then make them replace them with REAL machines. But I just can't participate in the death of a computer.
                        I understand fully, but you have to remember that these are emachines. Those barely even qualify as a computer and are already dying a very slow, painful death. Putting them out of their misery is the most humane thing you could do.
                        I AM the evil bastard!
                        A+ Certified IT Technician

Comment

well, I guess I can just pin my hopes on the fact that the user in the office is as stupid as she was rude, and will move her computer back to where it was, and not tell the other user not to move his monitor back to on top of the vents.

Comment

New student lingo...

Apparently "That's retarted." also mean "That doesn't work."

Comment

These jewels came in while I was typing up the "The end all be all massive waste of time" post.

"Okay, what browser are you using?"
                              "I'm sorry, I don't know what that word means."

"I have been having problems connecting ALL SEMESTER!"
                              "Have you ever brought it to the Helpdesk?"
                              "NO!"
                              And we're supposed to fix it... how?

"You have an access point right outside your room, so connection should not be a problem."
                              "My computer thinks differently!"

Comment

Working...
                              X