This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• You dropped your WHAT in where??

Another day at the bookstore. (If anything besides the emotional scarring and repetitive nightmares I have from working there - at least I have some good stories.)

One of the booksellers paged my cell phone. Told me a woman wanted to speak to a manager NOW about her phone.

I had no idea what it could be - as we sold books - not phones or what she could possibly want - but I headed over to the info desk anyway.

The customer told me she dropped her phone into the toilet after using the toilet. Then she told me she saw it, but flushed it anyway. I think she intended on "rinsing" the phone and didn't think that it would actually go down. So now her phone is gone. She wanted me to get it out. This is where the fun started.

I explained there is no way I can retreive a cell phone that is now floating somewhere in a sewer system. After argueing for a while and assuring her there is no "tank" that I can simply crawl into - she looked like she was going to cry. She said this cell phone is an EMT cell phone and it doesn't belong to her - it belongs to the company, and now she'll have to replace it but she has no money. Then she started to say that certain elderly people call that specific cell phone and tried to say it would be MY fault if they couldn't reach her.

After she started to get mean, I asked her to leave as there was nothing I could do. She said she would call the police - I said go ahead. Nothing ever happened after that - but it was annoying all the same.

She went potty - dropped the phone in the tank and FLUSHED IT. And that is my fault how???? What scared me even more was she claimed she was an EMT...thank goodness I've never had reason to need her services.
    Last edited by Luna; 03-28-2007, 03:32 AM.
    If you are thinking to yourself, "Hmmm, should I post this?" it should probably go HERE.

So she was under the impression it would still WORK after flushing it???
    I used to be disgusted... Now I'm just amused

Comment

She wanted the phone back after it had been swimming in human waste?!?!?
      Unseen but seeing
      oh dear, now they're masquerading as sane-KiaKat
      There isn't enough interpretive dance in the workplace these days-Irv
      3rd shift needs love, too
      RIP, mo bhrionglóid

Comment

What better compliement could you get for the phone manufacturer?

"Yesirree, I like my Nokarola T-1000 so much I fished out of the sewer system!"

I pray for the strength to change what I can, the inability to change what I can't, and the incapacity to tell the difference -Calvin, Calvin & Hobbes

Being a pessimist and cynical wouldn't be so bad if I wasn't right so often!

Comment

so what happened? Did she call the police?
          Do radioactive cats have 18 half-lives?

Comment

Quoth Horsetuna View Post
            so what happened? Did she call the police?
            If so, on what? I think we've just found the flaw in her cunning plan...

Rapscallion

Comment

Sorry to not reply sooner Horsetuna. Haven't been back to the thread in a while.

No, she didn't call the police to my knowledge. If she did, I'm guessing she was laughed at and hung up on. I never saw her again. I'm glad b/c I probably would have been overcome with uncontrollable giggling everytime I looked at her.
              If you are thinking to yourself, "Hmmm, should I post this?" it should probably go HERE.

Comment

I can say that for certain that if a cell phone ends up in the water it's not going to work anymore. I know this from personal experience, I'll explain, I used the bathroom, had the cell phone on the edge of the sink while I was washing my hands. I knocked my cell phone in the water by accident, When I got it out it was not working. I pressed the power button to turn it on & all I heard was a sizzling from the battery. I short circuited my own phone, imagine me explaining this to my wife. I was so embarrassed about my stupidity.
                Boogity, Boogity, Boogity Let's Go Racing Boys

Comment

Actually, I managed to drop one in a toilet once (it fell out of a pocket at an inopportune moment) and I grabbed it after a couple of seconds, yanked the batter, rinsed everything real quick in the sink and let it all dry overnight. It worked fine. The worst part was thinking I was going to have to reach into a very public toilet to retrieve it, and I didn't have long because the thing had autoflush installed.

Ewwww. Ewwwww. Ewwwww!

Comment

I have a clumsy friend who's managed twice to send his mobile through the wash.
                    Fortunatly each time only the battery failed, rest of the phone was fine.

Comment

I managed to drop my phone in the toilet once. Fished it out, turned it off, thoroughly cleaned it and my hands, and took it off to a service center... one day and $60 later it had a new screen and was working fine again.

Comment

if it's turned off at the time, and you let it dry out properly before turning it on, you should be fine.

on the other hand, your little "zomg water" tag will have turned blue, so even if it spontaneously catches for 6 months later for an unrelated reason "sorry sir, you got your phone wet"
                        It is better to be the hammer than the nail.

Comment

Working...
                        X