This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• House Suckyhunters International

Fleeing to Fredrikstad, Norway is on right now ... [I think if you can convince it to you c an watch the episode for a couple days more online]

I apologize to all our international readers for releasing yet another sucktastic whinging entitlement whore american on the civilized world of Norway.

Really I do.

She wants a fully american home in Norway. Air conditioning, all new american style appliances, garbage disposal, huge rooms and a bathtub.

*sigh*

And all for under $500 000US.

*sigh*

You know, I live in a 800 square foot / just under 75 square meter house, that has not been redecorated since we bought it in 1990 other than repainting the assorted walls. We replaced the oven in the kitchen with a new one when we cracked the ceramic top 10 years ago, and replaced the dish washer 5 years ago when it decided to implode and spray suds everywhere and cost more to repair it than replace it with a home depot cheapie special.

We paid $91 000US for it. It sits on just under 3 acres. It is finally almost paid for, and is theoretically worth $130 000US. It would be improved by adding a can of kerosene and burning it down so we could build a house that wasn't designed and built by Micky Frelling Mouse and where pretty much nothing is to code.

You can't frelling decide on one of 3 houses for over $500 000US because they aren't american enough for you so you have to *build* a custom house?

My heart bleeds for your entitlement whoreish little heart NOT.
    EVE Online: 99% of the time you sit around waiting for something to happen, but that 1% of action is what hooks people like crack, you don't get interviewed by the BBC for a WoW raid.

I saw that one. He (the cute realtor) showed them some cool houses too! I LOVED one and three. It made me sad she pretty much said she didn't the houses like the one he grew up in, she wasn't really even open to living in them. She said she would have a difficult time adjusting but I don't think she wanted to. Seriously the world will not end without a garbage disposal, the air conditioning I can understand, but I would figure something out. I watched so many other people move in these shows and they go oh well, this is how the houses are built then they end up loving it. At least their new house isn't totally American style.

Video linky
    I'm the 5th horsemen of the apocalypse. Bringer of giggly bouncy doom, they don't talk about me much.

Comment

Thanks for the link. Just finished watching, and I have to agree - deep down inside, Mom really didn't want to move. All of the issues were relatively minor. If the only thing stopping the house from being perfect is an outdated bathtub or no garbage disposal, it's not going to cost $100k to correct.
      That is so full of suck Dyson doesn't know how they did it - shankyknitter

Comment

Uh, most places in Europe don't have A/C-- because it's NOT NEEDED.
        Gah, what a twat. She needs to learn about the world, and not have her head shoved up said twat. I would love to have a Norwegian home and live in Norway-- NOT American home and in Norway. Hell, she'd probably complain about the mountains, and then the ocean, and then the accents, and then the food and then the roads and then-- geeze, go HOME already!
        EDIT: okay, okay, yeah, she didn't want to move... I just hope she got over it! I'm generally one to freak out over new stuff (in a bad way), but still...
        "Is it the lie that keeps you sane? Is this the lie that keeps you sane?What is it?Can it be?Ought it to exist?"
        "...and may it be that I cleave to the ugly truth, rather than the beautiful lie..."

Comment

Quoth teh_blumchenkinder View Post
          Uh, most places in Europe don't have A/C-- because it's NOT NEEDED.
          Depends on where you are in Europe. My friends who have spent summers in Russia, Ukraine, Latvia, and elsewhere in Eastern Europe deeply longed for air conditioning. Also, hot water and better bathing practices. And before you say, "Ah, but you can open a window!" Well, they regaled me of many tales of babushkas on buses slamming windows shut and locking windows in their houses, because apparently a draft means instant death. Sitting on some cool ground? Instant fertility.
          "Even arms dealers need groceries." ~ Ziva David, NCIS

Tony: "Everyone's counting on you, just do what you do best."
          Abby: "Dance?" ~ NCIS

Comment

From what I understand, there's also been some pretty bad heatwaves the last few years as well. Also from what I understand, Eastern Europe and Russia are like the U.S. West, like northern Utah/Southern Idaho/Eastern Washington and Oregon. When I was in the Netherlands around 2001, no A/C. I scratched my head, and shrugged. Didn't really want it anyway, in June/July.
            EDIT: Gah. I need air circulation... heat doesn't bother me as much if there's a draft.
            "Is it the lie that keeps you sane? Is this the lie that keeps you sane?What is it?Can it be?Ought it to exist?"
            "...and may it be that I cleave to the ugly truth, rather than the beautiful lie..."

Comment

Working...
            X