This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Quoth Kagato View Post
    Early delivery (before the 30 minute estimate): 15%-20% tip (Basically somewhere between $3-$4 tip, tailored so that I would only get notes as change, I wanted to carry as little coinage as possible)
    Slightly Late delivery (30-45 minutes): 10% tip (Not going to punish the driver for a delay that might have been the restaurants fault)
    Very late delivery (45+ minutes) $1 tip if I was still in a decent mood, no tip if grumpy.
    I have to ask if by 45 minutes is that 45 minutes after the quoted delivery ETA or just an order that takes 45 minutes (from the order time to when the delivery arrives at your door) to get to you ????

As a delivery driver I have to ask WHY you are punishing the delivery driver for a late order?????? Even in your 2d time interval your tip automatically drops. Again why are doing this????

Yes I see you are from NZ and were visiting the US and I know the tipping and wage is culture is different in NZ

Do you KNOW for a fact that it is the drivers fault the order is late?????? IF you do not know why the order is late why are you taking it out on the driver?????

The store could have hard blip of business or some other factor (such as a dropped pizza or a mis-made pizza) to increase the delivery time. MOST of the time it is not the drivers fault the order is late.

Do not do what you have stated above to "send a message" to the company. All it does is piss off the driver and label you as a cheap stiffer.
    Last edited by Racket_Man; 01-11-2015, 07:15 AM.
    I'm lost without a paddle and headed up SH*T creek.
    -- Life Sucks Then You Die.

"I'll believe corp. are people when Texas executes one."

Comment

Every single order made it early, so we were quite happy - also second time we ordered from the same place, we got the same driver, who I'm guessing must have floored it to get there, since the food was still piping hot, almost fresh from the oven
      Best to read my entire post before you try to tear me a new one.

I said in my post that all 3 orders made it in under 30 minutes and as a result I gave them a nearly TWENTY PERCENT TIP. I think that actually makes me a pretty darn GOOD tipper in comparison to those who will tip someone a nickel and think they are being generous. Heck, when we went out to a restaurant for dinner, because I was so impressed with the server, I tipped TWENTY FIVE percent. (Taking into account that the final bill was around $50, that means a rather nice $12-$13 tip for them). I don't know about USA pizza firms, but if there is going to be an unexpected delay in your order here, such as if someone dropped your pizza like you suggested, the company will phone you and let you know, they don't just randomly show up half an hour late when they state that your order will be there in 30 minutes.

Even a $1 tip on a $20 order is still a 5% tip. I did not "no tip" ANYONE during my entire vacation.
      Last edited by Kagato; 01-11-2015, 10:49 AM.
      Violets are blue,
      Roses are red,
      I bequeath to thee...
      A boot to the head >_>

Comment

Quoth Kagato View Post
        I don't know about USA pizza firms, but if there is going to be an unexpected delay in your order here, such as if someone dropped your pizza like you suggested, the company will phone you and let you know, they don't just randomly show up half an hour late when they state that your order will be there in 30 minutes.
        Based solely what I've seen on the East Coast US, I've never had a small or corp store call me if the driver was going to be well beyond the delivery time. Most will give a heads up that they're extremely busy if they've been seeing very long waits for delivery at the time you place the order. The only time I've been contacted is when the store ran out of a size or type of pizza (my local Pizza Slut on occasion runs out of thin or large deep dish after I've placed an order). We once tried a newly open Domino's pizza and ended up having to call THEM when the delivery time hit 1.5 hours... and then when they did turn up, the order was wrong. Neither issue being the fault of the driver. That blame rested on the store's management.
        But the paint on me is beginning to dry
        And it's not what I wanted to be
        The weight on me
        Is Hanging on to a weary angel - Sister Hazel

Comment

Quoth Evannah View Post
          I could never work in an industry where we have to rely on tips. People are mean anyway, but I think those who don't tip where no bad service was received are just horrible bullies.
          Especially when the restaurant pays you only $2.20 an hour or something like that, and you only get $3 an hour in tips. That's still BELOW minimum wage. I wish the restaurants would at least guarantee an $8/hour wage for those who are getting stiffed in tips.

As for me, I deliberately pretend to never know what a 15 percent tip is...and pay even HIGHER on purpose.

The last girl who waited on me was so nice and sweet, giving me my free drink refills by swooping down and taking my empty glass the moment I finished it, coming back 20 seconds later with my favorite beverage. She was awesome!!! My meal cost me $16. I was filling out the slip, wrote $20 on the tip line, and I asked her innocently, "Sorry, ma'am, but I don't know my percentages too well. Is THIS a 15 percent tip? Because I'm not sure..."
          I loved seeing the look on her face, which was priceless. I also think she suspects that I already KNOW how to do percentages in the first place.

Comment

It is rare that my local pizza place deliver under 30 minutes. It's usually 40 minutes. Last week it was 1hr 15 minutes but as the driver revealed to me, there was 3 people running the shop and they were hammered.

Comment

Wow, that's long. When I had a local pizza place it was rare that they took more than 20 minutes to deliver an order, or if I ordered online for a certain time, it was rare that they were off time I requested by +-5 minutes. I miss having pizza delivered.
              Pain and suffering are inevitable...misery is optional.

Comment

Quoth NecessaryCatharsis View Post
                Wow, that's long. When I had a local pizza place it was rare that they took more than 20 minutes to deliver an order, or if I ordered online for a certain time, it was rare that they were off time I requested by +-5 minutes. I miss having pizza delivered.
                admittedly this is a country town, where the delivery area could be up to 25 km (in special cases) but it was usually within 10km. It didn't hurt that they were the only place in the town that delivered.

Comment

I have a couple of customers who try to "tip" me. Most get it when I say that I am not allowed to take tips (legally... Tips and working with customers' banks accounts do NOT go hand in hand.)

Have one older guy though who will try to hide $50 under my calendar in my office about once a year. (This year he gave me a Christmas card and bade me not open it until after he left...sure enough the $50 bill was right inside) I can't get him to stop, but fortunately, it's not difficult to put the money right back into his account; which I've repeatedly told him is the only thing I can do with it. Made damn sure my managers knew about the issue too.

Comment

Quoth bankworking View Post
                    I have a couple of customers who try to "tip" me. Most get it when I say that I am not allowed to take tips (legally... Tips and working with customers' banks accounts do NOT go hand in hand.)

Have one older guy though who will try to hide $50 under my calendar in my office about once a year. (This year he gave me a Christmas card and bade me not open it until after he left...sure enough the $50 bill was right inside) I can't get him to stop, but fortunately, it's not difficult to put the money right back into his account; which I've repeatedly told him is the only thing I can do with it. Made damn sure my managers knew about the issue too.
                    does you bank have a charity it supports ? maybe donate it to that, so you are not profiting from it.

Comment

Working...
                    X