This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lost and grumpy about it

I was dragged down from the sales office to cover part of the front desk the other day. Apparently someone looked at the schedule, saw a big wedding coming in, and figured "Yeah, two people for front desk and reservations should be good." It wasn't good.

Anyway, I jump in to help out and I'm hit with a massive wave of guests checking in. As I'm finishing up with a guest and making their keys, Grumpy Woman pushes her way up front.

GW: "Yeah, you just check in my husband and I know he went that way, but I forgot the room number."
    Me: "Sure. Just let me finish checking these gentlemen in and I can look him up."

Instead of waiting the 20 seconds or so it was going to take me to hand the keys to my guests and finish sending them on their way, she scowled at me and stormed off. After my guests left, I looked around but she was nowhere to be seen.

Apparently, in the wave of guests (which I swear was 90% middle-aged men), I was supposed to psychically know specifically which one was hers and just instantly remember which middle-aged man I sent to which room. Silly me. I should be fired for my incompetence.

She never came back, either. Either she found him, or she's still roaming the halls with that pissed-off look on her face.
    Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit. Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad.

Quoth bhskittykatt View Post
    ... which middle-aged man I sent to which room...
    The one who looked out the peephole in his door and called the desk asking that the name on his registration be changed to Mahatma Kane Jeeves,,,
    I am not an a**hole. I am a hemorrhoid. I irritate a**holes!
    Procrastination: Forward planning to insure there is something to do tomorrow.
    Derails threads faster than a pocket nuke.

Comment

I hate it when people don't think they should have to wait their turn because they just want to ask "one little thing".

Comment

Quoth dalesys View Post
        The one who looked out the peephole in his door and called the desk asking that the name on his registration be changed to Mahatma Kane Jeeves,,,
        So I wasn't the only one wondering if the husband had taken a God-sent opportunity to escape, if only for a little while....
        Engaged to the sweet Mytical He is my Black Dragon (and yes, a good one) strong, protective, the guardian. I am his Silver Dragon, always by his side, shining for him, cherishing him.

Comment

I know I've said it before, but I wonder how these people deal with life in general. I mean, if they're stuck in rush hour traffic do they pop a vein screaming? When they encounter a wait at the DOL, do they leave without renewing their license? How do they function in society?

I see them all the time. I'll be counting a lot of yardage, and won't immediately respond, and they freaking lose their mind. Even though they can hear me loudly counting 34, 35, 36...
          Replace anger management with stupidity management.

Comment

a wait at the DOL
            Department of Lines?

Excellent. I shall be using this acronym henceforth to refer to... well just any government office, I suppose.
            Supporting the idiots charged with protecting your personal information.

Comment

Quoth strawbabies View Post
              I hate it when people don't think they should have to wait their turn because they just want to ask "one little thing".
              Quoth notalwaysright View Post
              I see them all the time. I'll be counting a lot of yardage, and won't immediately respond, and they freaking lose their mind. Even though they can hear me loudly counting 34, 35, 36...
              I get them all the time too. It is so aggravating. It's like they do not comprehend that there are other people on the planet besides them. There are seven billion folks here on this globe, the odds are, you will have to wait in a line most times. But they just can't grasp that. They cannot figure out that you are helping another person, they think you're deliberately ignoring them just to be a big meanie-head.
              I don't have an attitude problem. You have a perception problem.
              My LiveJournal
              A page we can all agree with!

Comment

Ever read the obituary page and see that person who died relatively young, at say, 48-50, of a heart attack?

Chances are it was one of THESE people, who go through life constantly enraged that they are NOT being catered to THIS VERY INSTANT.

We all get frustrated and angry, but the natural tendency is to cool off and not STAY angry or frustrated, those who expend the energy to do so, and stay righteously peeved at the world, burn themselves up.
                - They say nothing good happens at 2AM, they're right, I happen at 2AM.

Comment

Quoth otakuneko View Post
                  Department of Lines?

Excellent. I shall be using this acronym henceforth to refer to... well just any government office, I suppose.
                  That's pretty accurate at my local DMV office, which I stopped by Friday afternoon for a renewal.

Place was packed and folks still coming in (and this was just after 2 - no road tests after 4, FYI.) Lost count of how many teens were coming in w/parents for first time licenses.

Barely found a seat, then waited until after 3 (finally got done a few minutes after 4.) So don't go unless you can spare at least 2 hours (3 to be on the safe side.)

You will only be given two choices:

1) take a ticket and wait your turn

2) leave and come back another time

Sadly, I didn't get to witness anyone behaving badly . . . but OTOH that was probably a blessing. The local DMV office is located on the site of the local Highway Patrol station.

State troopers . . . badges . . . guns . . . IOW you WILL behave while you are there.
                  Human Resources - the adult version of "I'm telling Mom." - Agent Anthony "Tony" DiNozzo (NCIS)

Comment

Quoth DGoddessChardonnay View Post
                    You will only be given two choices:

1) take a ticket and wait your turn

2) leave and come back another time

Sadly, I didn't get to witness anyone behaving badly . . .
                    At the local DOL (in my state it's the Department of Licensing) you wait in line to get a ticket. An actual person hands them out, not a machine, which I find odd. And I was getting an enhanced license, so I can use my drivers license to go to Canada, and you need to wait another three times for that. One for the regular license part, another for the passport-ish part, and finally to get your new photo taken.

I never see people freaking out there. However I did see a lot of people who slow the process down due to their own stupidity. Not having the correct documents was the main issue. The procedure is (to me at least) really clearly explained, yet they come in missing a critical part of it. Sheesh.
                    Replace anger management with stupidity management.

Comment

Documents can be almost random...it depends on the clerk as to whether you need one thing or a 6" binder of signed, witnessed, and notarized paperwork in triplicate! (I have talked to 2 different people and gotten 2 different answers THE SAME DAY as to what I needed!)

Comment

Quoth notalwaysright View Post
                        I never see people freaking out there. However I did see a lot of people who slow the process down due to their own stupidity. Not having the correct documents was the main issue. The procedure is (to me at least) really clearly explained, yet they come in missing a critical part of it. Sheesh.
                        I always bring in too much. When I got my EDL, I looked up all the documents I needed ahead of time and rounded them up, and then they only looked at like two of them. Better to be overprepared than underprepared, which a lot of other people seem to be.

and I am always soooo tempted to grab handfuls of tickets to go outside and scalp them.

It's always amusing at the very end of the day when there's clearly only like three people left, and we're all standing around clutching our tickets and staring at the poor clerk who has to call every number, even though most people have given up and bailed at that point.
                        Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit. Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad.

Comment

Working...
                        X