This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Remember the chair?

I forget where I posted this originally, but recently I took a chair covered in a wal-mart safety recall to my local store to be returned.

Long story short (someone, FIND the original and link to it please!) I got something of a run around and trouble from the store. So, I wrote a letter to the home office.

My letter said basically that I had the chair, and wondered if it was part of the recall. I recounted when I bought the chair (some three years ago) and the fact that I'd expected to return it earlier, but never got around to it. I then recounted the story of what happened when I took it and the associate's comment that I needed the reciept (after 3 years?). Further,the object wasn't in the system...

Well. Today, I got a letter from the local store. Real nice letter. In this letter, the co-manager agrees with me that YES, this chair; while not the exact chair on the recall, is part of it. Being that the chair was the same company, style, and broke in the same location that the recalled chair broke, that yes, they'd take it back. Further, he said that I should bring the letter he sent me, for proof.

I'm taking it back tomarrow.
    Learn wisdom by the follies of others.

*raises a glass of rum to Repsac*

Good for you! Please give us an update to what happens, eh?

Comment

FOUND IT!

Where's my cookie?
      I AM the evil bastard!
      A+ Certified IT Technician

Comment

The comfy chair broke!?

But nobody uses the comfy chair now after the incident....

Comment

I can't wait for the update for this.

:wiggling in anticipation:
          Unseen but seeing
          oh dear, now they're masquerading as sane-KiaKat
          There isn't enough interpretive dance in the workplace these days-Irv
          3rd shift needs love, too
          RIP, mo bhrionglóid

Comment

Well, after a bit of fun today, I decided to take the thing up there.

Made SURE to take the letter with me.

As Kharma (not sure whose) would have it, I got the same clerk I had the last time who gave me a hard time about the thing. As I walk up to the girl, I see her with a ...well, a look. She's not happy to see me.

Waiting a moment, I let her get situated and then smile. Pleasently.

Me: "Talked to the home office about it, and got a letter from K. He says that it's ok, and I should be able to return it."
            Clerk: "Well. I can't return it. It's not in our system."
            Me: blinking some but remaning pleasant. (which can be unnerving, I know.) "Oh really, but, I got a letter from K about it." takes a few moments to find letter and then pulls it out. Folding it open. "See?"
            Clerk: takes the letter, reads it and then just turns to the other cashiers. "Call K." she says, and I hear her mutter something to the effect of "See if he really sent this."

I waited a few moments then, which is the time when my "sighting" happened. K called over the phone first and told the girl to return it, but she didn't. She actually called him again and told him to come up front and quote "look at it."

K does not look happy. He gives the clerk a look.

K: "I said return it. It's the same style and design, and that's the same defect. They'll give us credit for it anyway. Besides, it's a safety recall. We can't deny it. "
            Clerk: "But it's not in the syst..."
            K: rather angry at this point. "I said. RETURN IT! Use the UPC on the Recall notice. Look, if you refuse to return this, we could get sued. Do you really want to have to explain that to the store manager?"
            Clerk: (blinks) "Uh...no. But, how do I...."
            K: stares at her a long moment. "Use. The. UPC. On. The. Recall. Notice."
            Clerk: looks at him for a long moment before K hears something on the radio and has to leave. Turning to me she stares a long moment. "I can't give cash back." she says, almost like a last gasp hoping I'd leave.
            Me: "Yeah. I know that. Your policy says that you can't give cash back anyway on recall items."
            Clerk: Staring more. "Yeah. I can't give cash back."
            Me: "Gift card. You can give me a gift card. Company's not out money anyway. The distributor will repay your store for this item, so, you're not losing anything. (bout this time K comes back. Hears most of this) That way, they don't get sued for damages and pain and suffering. Wal-Mart doesn't get in trouble for failing to execute a safety recall, and everyone's happy. In fact, More than likely I'll use the card right away, buying something and paying the difference."

Clerk: Takes a long time to get the card, but does. I sign, and turn to leave. K catches up with me.

K: Look I'm sorry about all the trouble. If there's anything.
            Me: Ah, it's ok. I'm going to buy something with this and then head home to crash. She didn't seem to want to return it did she?
            K: (nodding) Yeah. I think, I know why. Still, let me appologize again.

Now, why? Well, It dawned on me after trying to take the chair in the first time.

I was dressed in a beat up T shirt with paint on it, faded stained jean shorts, a really ancient pink ball cap, and old Tennis Shoes with no socks. In short, I looked like I'd walked off the street. While in truth, I had just finished mowing the lawn, I think the Clerk/CSM looked at me and instantly thought I was some drug addict or homeless person who had saw the recall notice; and went out to find a chair that looked LIKE the one on recall. Bringing it into the store, then, I must have looked as though I wanted to take the store for it's 40 odd dollars. She may have thought, that she was saving her job, her company, or just doing what she was trained to do.
            Learn wisdom by the follies of others.

Comment

Wow. You'd think after being told once to return it, she would comply. As opposed to being told 4 times and still questioning it. She's more at risk of losing her job now than if she simply did it when K said.

Still, fun story.
              I AM the evil bastard!
              A+ Certified IT Technician

Comment

Working...
              X