This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Your All-Time Favorite Quotes!

This is a "game" thread that proved popular on another forum I go to, so I'm starting it up here!

The idea behind this thread is simple: Post your favorite quotes!

But since they ARE quotes, it would be nice if you let us know who or where your quote comes from, mmm-kay?

I'll start off with one of the greatest things ever written in any fantasy novel...

The Wizard's First Rule:

"People are stupid. Given proper motivation, almost anyone will believe almost anything. Because people are stupid, they will believe a lie because they want to believe it's true, or because they're afraid it might be true. People's heads are full of knowledge, facts and beliefs, and most of it is false, yet they think it all true. People are stupid; they can only rarely tell the difference between a lie and the truth, and yet they are confident they can, and so are all the easier to fool."

--From Wizard's First Rule by Terry Goodkind

"Eventually one outgrows the fairy tales of childhood, belief in Santa and the Easter Bunny, and believing that SCs are even capable of imagining themselves in our position."
    --StanFlouride

"Yeah, I always find myself questioning the way I imagine my myths when I'm eating my Lucky Charms every morning with a goddamned Black Santa spoon!"- Rader from John Green's Paper Towns

"Life is like baseball. For the most part, nothing happens. Then there are moments, days, that you spend in utter glory. Or utter shit"-Desmond McKay from Black Irish
    Hinakiba777- Student of Divinity-Always trying to get laid.

Annoying student=I pay tuition here so I pay your salary!
    Desk Worker=I pay tuition here, too. So I guess I pay myself.

Comment

Some more faves...
      • "Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."
        --Albert Einstein
      • "This must be Thursday. I never could get the hang of Thursdays."
        --Arthur Dent, from The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy by the Late, Great Douglas Adams
      • "Don't make me angry. You wouldn't like me when I'm angry."
        --Bruce (AKA David) Banner, from The Incredible Hulk
      • "I am NOT the man with whom to fuck!"
        --Frank Elgyn (Michael Wincott), from Alien Resurrection
      I especially like that last one! I saw the movie one time, in the theater, over 10 years ago, and I STILL remember that line!

Sadly, in my case, the ladies have interpreted that line in entirely the wrong way.
      Last edited by Jack T. Chance; 06-22-2009, 06:37 AM.
      "Eventually one outgrows the fairy tales of childhood, belief in Santa and the Easter Bunny, and believing that SCs are even capable of imagining themselves in our position."
      --StanFlouride

Comment

Even the worlds greatest oak is just a nut who stood its ground.(I have no idea where its from but it fits me well.)

And of course:
        This is my boom stick! - Army of Darkness

Comment

"Don't go around saying the world owes you a living. The world owes you nothing. It was here first." - Mark Twain

"The Rule of Nature is 'Survive'. The Rule of Man is 'Obey'. But the Rule of God is 'Love'." - from a cheap 70's horror movie called "The Night God Screamed"... I don't know why, but I've always liked that line. I'm not 100% on the quote, though... it's either Rule or Law.
          "Kamala the Ugandan Giant" 1950-2020 • "Bullet" Bob Armstrong 1939-2020 • "Road Warrior Animal" 1960-2020 • "Zeus" Tiny Lister Jr. 1958-2020 • "Hacksaw" Butch Reed 1954-2021 • "New Jack" Jerome Young 1963-2021 • "Mr. Wonderful" Paul Orndorff 1949-2021 • "Beautiful" Bobby Eaton 1958-2021 • Daffney 1975-2021

Comment

~"It would be a lot easier to enjoy your life if there weren't so many things trying to kill you every day."- CNN.com

~Imagination is the one weapon in the war against reality- Jules de Gaultier

~Don't take life too serious. You'll never escape it alive anyway.- Elbert Hubbard

~Analyzing humor is like dissecting a frog: Nobody really enjoy is and the frog generally dies in the end.- E.B. White

~There is nothing more exhilarating tahn to be shot at without result.- Winston Churchill

To be honest I keep a journal of my favorite quotes. I could go on forever. I just wanted to end with these two.

~Music is music like food is food. You rarely meet someone who just eats Italian. - Gregory Charles from CBC Radio 2

~Evey new experience is unusual. The rest of life is just sleep and committee meetings. - Dr. Sophia Briggs in John Twelve Hawk's "The Traveler"
            Hinakiba777- Student of Divinity-Always trying to get laid.

Annoying student=I pay tuition here so I pay your salary!
            Desk Worker=I pay tuition here, too. So I guess I pay myself.

Comment

I used to have a big text file of quotes I loved, but forgot to back it up. And now it's gone.

Here's a couple i could remember

This [a bible] is not a weapon... You idiot!
              - Mary, Saved

From the movie Saved. It also has applications in real life

and from The Gruen Transfer, a television series about advertising, how it works, and how it works on you

"It's like trying to get laid by showing a girl your resume.
              Look I was good at biology and woodwork so I know where stuff is and I'm good with my hands"
              "...You know that might actually work."
              - The Gruen Transfer, Dan Gregory & Wil Anderson

and pretty much anything from Terry Pratchett
              It's like trying to get laid by showing a girl your resume.
              Look, I was good at Biology and Woodwork.
              So I know where stuff is and I'm good with my hands.

- Dan, The Gruen Transfer

Comment

My all time favorites.

"I could be bounded in a nutshell, and count myself a king of infinite space, were it not that I have bad dreams." - Hamlet

"All those moments will be lost in time, like tears in rain." - Blade Runner
                Miyon

Seduce, Let Loose, The Vision and The Void - Coil

All those moments will be lost in time, like tears in rain - Blade Runner

Comment

"Try not. Do. Or do not. There is not try." --Yoda, "The Empire Strikes Back.

“Naturally the common people don't want war.... That is understood. But after all, it is the leaders of the country who determine policy, and it is always a simple matter to drag the people along.... Voice or no voice, the people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders. That is easy. All you have to do is to tell them they are being attacked, and denounce the pacifists for lack of patriotism and exposing the country to danger. It works the same in any country.” --Hermann Goering.

"Beer is living proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy." --Benjamin Franklin.

"The Customer Is Always Right...But The Bartender Decides Who Is
                  Still A Customer."

Comment

A few of my favorites...

"Aerodynamics are for people who can't build engines." -- Enzo Ferrari

"You're only supposed to blow the bloody doors off!" -- Sir Michael Caine as Charlie Croker, The Italian Job

"Make the suspension adjustable and they will adjust it wrong -- look what they can do to a Weber carburetor in just a few moments of stupidity with a screwdriver." --Colin Chapman (founder, Lotus Cars)

"If God had meant for us to walk, why did he give us feet that fit car pedals?" -- Sir Stirling Moss
                    Aerodynamics are for people who can't build engines. --Enzo Ferrari

Comment

A purpose of human life, no matter who is controlling it, is to love whoever is around to be loved. - Kurt Vonnegut (The Sirens of Titan)

If you're going through Hell, keep going. - Winston Churchill
                      https://www.facebook.com/authorpatriciacorrell/

Comment

"I'd love to be the one to disappoint you when I don't fall down." -- Limp Biskit

"Not all who wander are lost." -- J.R.R. Tolkein

"Through the too many miles and the too little smiles, I still remember you." -- Harry Chapin

"No straight lines make up my life and all my roads have bends; there's no clear cut beginnings -- and so far no dead ends." -- Harry Chapin

"I don't know anyone who is without love. I don't know if you can live without it. We don't see it. We just count on its being there." -- Maya Angelo (I think)

"Crying is what we do before we are broken." -- from A Density of Souls by Christopher Rice

"True strength is rarely recognized and, as such, passes utterly unnoticed." no clue

"I could hate and live in shadow or forgive and live my life in peace." -- I don't remember her name, but it's the response a Holocaust survivor gave when someone asked her whether she forgave the soldiers that ran the camp she was at (and, I believe, killed some, if not all, of her family)

"Freedom's just another word for nothing left to lose." -- from Me and Bobby McGee made most popular by Janis Joplin

"Anyone can write but it takes brilliance to bring life to the pages." -- no clue

"A heart can be broken, but it will keep beating just the same." -- Ninny Threadgoode in Fried Green Tomatoes

and, just because it makes me laugh,

“Why? What’s the worst he can do? Jump up and down screaming ‘Kill him! Kill him!’?” -- from The Nekkid Quidditch Match, one of the absolute funniest things I've ever read. If you at ALL like Harry Potter and need a laugh? Go read it.

Is it obvious I'm a quote junkie? My "quote file" on my computer is 50 pages of 8 point type with .5 margins. I collect quotes (and yes, I have many Gravekeeper quotes in my quote file).
                        I am Wolverine.............and Wolverine does not do high kicks.

He was a hero to me....and heroes are not supposed to die.

Oh good, my dog found the chainsaw!

Comment

"What a wonderful life I've had! I only wish I'd realized it sooner." ---Anonymous

Man may penetrate the outer reaches of the universe, he may solve the very secret of eternity itself but for me, the ultimate human experience is to witness the flawless execution of the hit-and-run. --Branch Rickey

"The follies which a man regrets most in his life are those which he didn't commit when he had the opportunity." --Branch Rickey (I think)

"With those who don't give a damn about baseball, I can only sympathize. I do not resent them. I am even willing to concede that many of them are physically clean, good to their mothers and in favor of world peace. But while the game is on, I can't think of anything to say to them." - Art Hill, "I Don't Care if I Never Come Back"
                          Last edited by Becks; 06-22-2009, 04:23 PM.
                          Unseen but seeing
                          oh dear, now they're masquerading as sane-KiaKat
                          There isn't enough interpretive dance in the workplace these days-Irv
                          3rd shift needs love, too
                          RIP, mo bhrionglóid

Comment

I love quotes, I am also a collector. Here is one of my faves.

This one is very very long, more like an essay (or in this format a poem) but I love it

Go placidly amid the noise and the haste,
                            and remember what peace there may be in silence.

As far as possible, without surrender,
                            be on good terms with all persons.
                            Speak your truth quietly and clearly;
                            and listen to others,
                            even to the dull and the ignorant;
                            they too have their story.
                            Avoid loud and aggressive persons;
                            they are vexatious to the spirit.

If you compare yourself with others,
                            you may become vain or bitter,
                            for always there will be greater and lesser persons than yourself.
                            Enjoy your achievements as well as your plans.
                            Keep interested in your own career, however humble;
                            it is a real possession in the changing fortunes of time.

Exercise caution in your business affairs,
                            for the world is full of trickery.
                            But let this not blind you to what virtue there is;
                            many persons strive for high ideals,
                            and everywhere life is full of heroism.
                            Be yourself. Especially do not feign affection.
                            Neither be cynical about love,
                            for in the face of all aridity and disenchantment,
                            it is as perennial as the grass.

Take kindly the counsel of the years,
                            gracefully surrendering the things of youth.
                            Nurture strength of spirit to shield you in sudden misfortune.
                            But do not distress yourself with dark imaginings.
                            Many fears are born of fatigue and loneliness.

Beyond a wholesome discipline,
                            be gentle with yourself.
                            You are a child of the universe
                            no less than the trees and the stars;
                            you have a right to be here.
                            And whether or not it is clear to you,
                            no doubt the universe is unfolding as it should.

Therefore be at peace with God,
                            whatever you conceive Him to be.
                            And whatever your labors and aspirations,
                            in the noisy confusion of life,
                            keep peace in your soul.

With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams,
                            it is still a beautiful world.
                            Be cheerful. Strive to be happy.

-- written by Max Ehrmann in the 1920s --
                            entitled Desiderata

Comment

I'll start with the complete quote from my sig:
                              I love my dog. I love all my dogs. Every dog I ever had, I still love ‘em. And in my life, believe me, I have had me a bunch of god-damn dogs. Because you keep on gettin’ a new one, don’t ya? It’s true. As life goes on, you keep gettin’ one new dog after another. That’s the whole secret of life. Life is a series of dogs. –George Carlin

Morality, it could be argued, represents the way that people would like the world to work – whereas economics represents how it actually does work. –Steven Levitt & Stephen Dubner, Freakonomics

We’re all fucked. It helps to remember that. –George Carlin

Most people don’t know what they’re doing, and a lot of people are really good at it. –George Carlin

Nice to see that the human race has advanced to the point of using robots to poke things with a stick.
                              –(I don't remember where I got that one but it's been on my bulletin board in my cube for a while.)

People who see life as anything more than pure entertainment are missing the point. –George Carlin

Does God really have to watch all this shit? –George Carlin

I worry about my judgment when anything I believe in or do regularly begins to be accepted by the American public. –George Carlin

(Most of these are from last year's Carlin calendar; I had a bunch that I saved in my cube at work. I have tons more quotes somewhere on my computer. I'll have to find the file. I'll be back, I'm sure. )
                              I don't go in for ancient wisdom
                              I don't believe just 'cause ideas are tenacious
                              It means that they're worthy - Tim Minchin, "White Wine in the Sun"

Comment

Working...
                              X