This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• It's "obvious"

We're delivering and installing some furniture for a bunch of rooms. As usual, I'm sent out without the proper information to do my job. My MiM should refuse to dispatch me until such information is acquired, but that's another rant. Things get off to an awesome start when I deliver half of the first load to the wrong side of the floor. Upon realizing this mistake, I decide that I'm not going to have another. I call the designer and insist on getting some plans. He gives me a runthrough of things and while it is now straightforward, I still insist of getting the plans, just so when we come across the room that is slightly different, we aren't guessing. He reluctantly agrees and goes through the monumental effort of sending an email with an attachment; I hope he didn't sprain his finger doing so.

Okay, now we can pretend that we're a professional company doing the work as it was intended and agreed upon. Almost. He only sent me the plans for the rooms, not the lounge areas or table areas. I can't talk to this moron again so I send him an email:

Thank you for going to the trouble of sending the plans, however, we still do not have the plans for the lounge areas or table areas, please supply those plans so that we will be able to get the items properly and professionally laid out.

His reply:

You don't need those plans, the layout is obvious.

Oh really:

Jordan, I will gladly lay the items out to my best interpretation of what "obvious" is. However, if my interpretation of "obvious" is different than the "obvious" layout that the client agreed to and is in some plans that I have not been provided with, please be advised that the will be additional charges for the double handling of these items, obviously.

His reply: the full set of plans

Now was that so hard? Obviously not. I don't know why he finds it easier to argue with me than to just click a few files and send them.
    D.I.L.L.I.G.A.F.
    Quoth = Crossbow "EvilHomer, Irv, Gravekeeper, and Seraph: the Four Horsemen of the Dumbpocalypse."

Obvious? Oblivious, more like!
    This was one of those times where my mouth says "have a nice day" but my brain says "go step on a Lego". - RegisterAce
    I can't make something magically appear to fulfill all your hopes and dreams. Believe me, if I could I'd be the first person I'd help. - Trixie

Comment

Quoth evilhomer View Post
      Now was that so hard? Obviously not. I don't know why he finds it easier to argue with me than to just click a few files and send them.
      Meanwhile, he's complaining: "This idiot has no idea what he's doing! He insists I hold his hand through the entire process!" You know I'm right.
      Fool me once, shame on you. Fool me twice, you speak with the Fraud department. -- CrazedClerkthe2nd
      OW! Rolled my eyes too hard, saw my brain. -- Seanette
      she seems to top me in crazy, and I'm enough crazy for my family. -- Cooper
      Yes, I am evil. What's your point? -- Jester

Comment

Quoth Deserted View Post
        Meanwhile, he's complaining: "This idiot has no idea what he's doing! He insists I hold his hand through the entire process!" You know I'm right.
        Yeah, sounds about right. This asshat has developed an assembly line shooter for throwing people under the bus.
        D.I.L.L.I.G.A.F.
        Quoth = Crossbow "EvilHomer, Irv, Gravekeeper, and Seraph: the Four Horsemen of the Dumbpocalypse."

Comment

If the layout is "obvious" to the people actually doing the work, what is he being paid for again?

Comment

Quoth Argus View Post
            If the layout is "obvious" to the people actually doing the work, what is he being paid for again?
            Apparently, to he's paid to cash his cheques
            D.I.L.L.I.G.A.F.

Comment

New game, coming sometime in the 2030s: "The Elder Scrolls X: Obviously"
              "For a musician, the SNES sound engine is like using Crayola Crayons. Nobuo Uematsu used Crayola Crayons to paint the Sistine Chapel." - Jeremy Jahns (re: "Dancing Mad")
              "The difference between an amateur and a master is that the master has failed way more times." - JoCat
              "Thinking is difficult, therefore let the herd pronounce judgment!" ~ Carl Jung
              "There's burning bridges, and then there's the lake just to fill it with gasoline." - Wiccy, reddit
              "Retail is a cruel master, and could very well be the most educational time of many people's lives, in its own twisted way." - me
              "Love keeps her in the air when she oughta fall down...tell you she's hurtin' 'fore she keens...makes her a home." - Capt. Malcolm Reynolds, "Serenity" (2005)
              Acts of Gord – Read it, Learn it, Love it!
              "Our psychic powers only work if the customer has a mind to read." - me

Comment

Quoth evilhomer View Post
                You don't need those plans, the layout is obvious.

Oh really:
                Yes, really. I mean, he obviously wanted you to stack them 4-high against the wall at one end of the room.

Comment

Quoth Mriswith View Post
                  ... he obviously wanted you to ...
                  Yield to temptation. It may not pass your way again. L. Long
                  I am not an a**hole. I am a hemorrhoid. I irritate a**holes!
                  Procrastination: Forward planning to insure there is something to do tomorrow.
                  Derails threads faster than a pocket nuke.

Comment

And when you got the plans, was the layout "obvious"?

Comment

Yep it is obvious.. a giant sculpture in the shape of a hand with a single digit extended to the sky... two guesses which..
                      Engaged to the amazing Marmalady. She is my Silver Dragon, shining as bright as the sun. I her Black Dragon (though good honestly), dark as night..fierce and strong.

Comment

"I'm going to need more furniture for this obvious layout. I ran out halfway through the 'B', so I will need a lot more desks to spell the rest of it. And more room, too."
                        “There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old’s life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged.
                        One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world.
                        The other, of course, involves orcs." -- John Rogers

Comment

"So dude, I've got the couches laid out in the classic Roman pattern in the lounge, but you forgot to include the fire pit that goes in the center. Also the fountains."
                          When you start at zero, everything's progress.

Comment

Quoth Nunavut Pants View Post
                            "I'm going to need more furniture for this obvious layout. I ran out halfway through the 'B', so I will need a lot more desks to spell the rest of it. And more room, too."
                            Quoth Mytical View Post
                            Yep it is obvious.. a giant sculpture in the shape of a hand with a single digit extended to the sky... two guesses which..
                            Quoth MoonCat View Post
                            "So dude, I've got the couches laid out in the classic Roman pattern in the lounge, but you forgot to include the fire pit that goes in the center. Also the fountains."

Quoth morgana View Post
                            And when you got the plans, was the layout "obvious"?
                            Actually it was, but that wasn't the point. I'm trying to train this dumbass to do jobs professionally.
                            D.I.L.L.I.G.A.F.

Comment

Kind of the opposite, but in the same vein. Years ago, I once had a supervisor who insisted on telling me how to do parts of my job. Often, he would arrive on scene where I was working, while I was performing a task I'd been doing successfully for at least a couple of decades, such as correcting charts.

If someone else were in the room with me, he would loudly instruct me to take the steps for the job that I was already taking. I would look annoyed, and tell him something like: "Yes, I know. I was doing that when you came in."

He would then leave, and tell other people, such as his boss, that I "had to be told how to complete that simple task."

Luckily, he'd pulled that trick on a number of people, and so over time they would just roll their eyes when he remarked on how he had once again 'saved the day.' But at first, when people still believed him, it was causing me a bit of heartburn.
                              Who hears all your prayers? Why, the NSA, of course!

Comment

Working...
                              X