Go Back   Customers Suck! > The Heart of the Site > Sucky Customers

Old 07-09-2018, 10:19 PM
Assistant Manager

Strictly speaking, you can use wikipedia as a source, however, due to wikipedia being editable by anybody, it's not considered a particularly reliable one. Hence if your only reference for a statement is wikipedia, then it's treated as if you got it off a random website of unknown provenance. Wikipedia isn't actually unique in that regard. It's also perfectly fine to check on a wikipedia article's references and quote those (particularly since on reading said references, you might find an even better reference. Or you might find that the reference has been misquoted.)

Old 07-13-2018, 02:16 PM
Computer Repair Alien

Personally I think it should be okay, as long as the bit of text from Wikipedia that you use is itself cited from a reputable source. If it says "citation needed" though I see how that could be a problem.

Old 07-15-2018, 06:44 PM
Front End Supervisor

I had to present an argumentative thesis a few months back and had the opposite problem. I read for fun a LOT. As a result I have a fairly good working vocabulary.

The topic I chose is very contentious, and tends to bring out the snark in me. I made a very nasty crack about the people who hold the opposite viewpoint, and was jumped on that it was too obviously a quote, and that I needed to cite my source. I did rephrase it, but I told the proofreader no, that was just me being an a**hole

Old 07-16-2018, 03:28 PM
RVT

Well, not everybody has piss-poor vocabularies. Reading has many benefits, I catch people at work all the time...