X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fun with names

Some of the names of students and staff that I've dealt with recently:
    (Note: most of these students are international ones and as such, I know they're likely fairly common names overseas, but it still makes me giggle)

First names
    Princess
    Gift

Surnames
    Baby
    Personal
    Sessions

Any others you've encountered?

When filling out forms, encountered a Lisa Simpson and a Tom Riddle. Both had stacks of ID to confirm that these were, actually, their names. XD Lisa married into hers, and Tom was over sixty years old and had no problems with his name til the Harry Potter books came out.
    People who don't like cats were probably mice in an earlier life.
    My DeviantArt.

Comment

Last name -- Clapsaddle

Comment

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_Sessions came to mind immediately; it's not a common name, but it's well-known enough.
        This was one of those times where my mouth says "have a nice day" but my brain says "go step on a Lego". - RegisterAce
        I can't make something magically appear to fulfill all your hopes and dreams. Believe me, if I could I'd be the first person I'd help. - Trixie

Comment

Quoth morgana View Post
          Last name -- Clapsaddle
          That's a first one for me.

A missing child poster had a boy's first name as Arkady. It was so long ago and hope the boy was found but to this day I never met an Arkady before. I wondered if it was derived of Arcadia.
          Don't waste time trying to convince someone that the sky is blue.

Comment

Arkady is usually a male Russian given name, and I think it's derived from Arcadius. I've come across it a few times but usually when I'm doing some historical Russian research stuff.

Comment

Ha - we have some real howlers.

Lixia Wang (I am NOT making this up)
              Len Nel (reads the same way whether you read it backwards or forwards!)
              Bryce Wayne (I asked him if EVERYone thinks he's Bruce, yep!)
              At least 2 Mohammed Alis (I know, not super uncommon but makes me giggle)
              Abra Kadra (I always sing the Abra-abra-cadabra song to her)
              There's a couple of people with the surname Twaddle
              One lady got married & her surname changed from Hati to Hart (not a big deal but made me giggle)
              Also - what are the chances of there being TWO Rohans - that started on the same day?
              (a while ago we had two people with the same first & last names that started on the same day, in the same building - that caused a LOT of confusion as most people just thought it was a double-up. One was pretty cool with it, the other... not so much.)
              There's a lovely young lady whose surname is McPheetus (say that out loud - ewww!)
              A team of 3 - Jared, Jareth and Gareth (you can't make this stuff up)
              Mr Farquhar (I actually came across this before this job)
              An Oakley Drewet (which I misheard as "OK do it")
              Bob Hu (yes, there was actually a conversation with "Bob who?" that genuinely occurred!)
              There's a Miss Cholmondeley which is apparently pronounced "Chumley" (thankfully)
              There were an Autumn and a Summer working on the same floor...
              One of our senior lawyers has the surname Lawgun (what are the chances?)
              A Mr Loos (which is slang for toilet here)

I'm sure there's more, but one that does get me is a lady whose name start with Fe'o and her nickname is Fee. I was relating that to someone when I realised that she works in ... accounts!

Yes, I'm easily amused
              Ne auderis delere orbem rigidum meum! - Don't you dare erase my hard disk!

This is Tech Support, not Customer Service.
              What's the difference?
              We're allowed to tell you "no".

Comment

I've had someone named Random. I saw it come up with our rewards card and thought it was just a smart ass making up a name. Nope, carded him and sure enough his name was Random. I've seen the last names of Ladyman, Truelove and Goodrum. The last one was also an awkward encounter. My coworker was commenting about the name and we didn't realize the guy was standing right there. When he heard his name, we just told him his pictures were done.
                I would have a nice day, but I have other things to do.

Comment

The other day I talked to a James Dean. And this is weird only for me, but I spoke to a William Barnhart, which is the name of the building I work in. But he was nowhere near local so I dunno.
                  https://www.youtube.com/user/HedgeTV
                  Great YouTube channel check it out!

Comment

Quoth rose_metal_nz View Post
                    Ha - we have some real howlers.

Lixia Wang (I am NOT making this up)
                    Thank you for reminding me - one of our students is named Ling Wang

Comment

Quoth KuariKaydrith View Post
                      Arkady is usually a male Russian given name, and I think it's derived from Arcadius. I've come across it a few times but usually when I'm doing some historical Russian research stuff.
                      I've come across that name here: http://marvel.com/universe/Omega_Red#axzz5IKqIsNWW
                      People who don't like cats were probably mice in an earlier life.
                      My DeviantArt.

Comment

I went to school with a Justin Case, who was a second child. Think about the morbidness of that name.

Comment

Denzel Washington works in our warehouse. He's got an afro with a life of its own

Among my gang of misfits in high school, three of us had initials as such: EAK, VCR, and ITS.
                          "I am quite confident that I do exist."
                          "Excuse me, I'm making perfect sense. You're just not keeping up." The Doctor

Comment

I drove a young woman and her 1-year-old baby today. The woman's name wasn't too hard, a variant spelling of Mariah. Her son's name, though? Juilyn. Guess how you say that? Go one, guess.

"Julian."
                            Fool me once, shame on you. Fool me twice, you speak with the Fraud department. -- CrazedClerkthe2nd
                            OW! Rolled my eyes too hard, saw my brain. -- Seanette
                            she seems to top me in crazy, and I'm enough crazy for my family. -- Cooper
                            Yes, I am evil. What's your point? -- Jester

Comment

Working...
                            X