• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Enviromentalay Friendly

Overheard at my local supermarket last night:

MH - My Hero (Cashier)
    SC- duh!
    Me- Unsuspecting witness.

SC: Why do you give me so many plastic bags?

MH: Why do you buy so much crap?

SC: But its bad for the enviroment!

MH: Well, you're bad for my enviroment.

Me
    "I'm trying to manufacture sincerity." - Simon (Teachers)
    "Ok, you have to stop the Q-tip when there's resistance!" - Chandler (Friends)

We gives you so many plastic bags because the plastic bag maker people don't make them very strong, thus we have to double bag everything, from a six-pack of cola to a pillow. Quantity over quality and all that...
    "IT stands away, interrupting himself from the incessant hammering of the kittens…"

Comment

If you don't want plastic bags there are any number of places you can get some fabric totes to bring with you. Target had some cute, lightweight mesh totes for summer pretty cheap...The grocery store I usually go to even sells them...or reuse your plastic bags...you might even get a few cents back for it...
      I don't go in for ancient wisdom
      I don't believe just 'cause ideas are tenacious
      It means that they're worthy - Tim Minchin, "White Wine in the Sun"

Comment

I personally love getting plastic baggies, the more the better. You'd think with two cats that one litter box, maybe two would be enough right? Nope, I have four and their still being lil pains about them. So literally twice a day I'm scooping poop. They also are great for "little" trash. I use them for bathroom trash liners, keep one at my computer desk, one outside on the deck, and a few hanging on the kitchen knobs. So much easier to combine and haul out to the dumpster. Maybe not the most eco friendly but that's my recycling at least. Heck, I even gank them from my friends when they don't want them!!
        Today was going to be just one of those days...you know, full of zombies.

Comment

Our kitchen trash is a plastic frame that's made to hold grocery bags. My mom also has a little can on the counter by the sink that's perfect for the smaller bags the newspaper comes in (originally it was a large oatmeal can but then she made one out of a sheet of plastic canvas - just rolled it into a cylinder and stitched the edges together). That really comes in handy for scraps and little things when you're cooking/cleaning up. We use them for the cats, I use them in my bedroom trash can, I use one in my car for trash...
          I don't go in for ancient wisdom
          I don't believe just 'cause ideas are tenacious
          It means that they're worthy - Tim Minchin, "White Wine in the Sun"

Comment

And I'm starting to see places where you can drop off all of your unused plastic bags to be recycled. My two main grocery stores both have them.

Comment

I don't mind, getting plastic bags, because I use them for trash. If I get a really small bag, I will save them, for when I get fast food, and I can just use them then.
              Under The Moon Paranormal Research
              San Joaquin Valley Paranormal Research

Comment

I use plastic bags as pooper scoops for my pup, and trash (so i dont have to buy more and waste more plastic) abd carry around or store things. I use them. And if they pile up? i recycle the overflow.

Comment

At leaset one supermarket here in the UK uses bio-degradeable plastic bags. So I have no compunction about using them.
                  "I can tell her you're all tied up in the projection room." Sunset Boulevard.

Comment

I love plastic bags for trash duty. Since I'm in an apartment, now, it's a whole lot easier to haul down a few grocery bags of stuff every couple days on my way out ot the bus than to have to haul a huge trash bag of stuff down the stairs to the dumpster.

Quoth BookstoreEscapee View Post
                    If you don't want plastic bags there are any number of places you can get some fabric totes to bring with you. Target had some cute, lightweight mesh totes for summer pretty cheap...
                    I need to hit my local Target to see if I can pick up one of those for hauling lunch to work every day.

^-.-^
                    Faith is about what you do. It's about aspiring to be better and nobler and kinder than you are. It's about making sacrifices for the good of others. - Dresden

Comment

Quoth cinema guy View Post
                      At leaset one supermarket here in the UK uses bio-degradeable plastic bags. So I have no compunction about using them.
                      We do our own brand plastic bags and looked into bio-degradeable. They take fresh oil to make. Recycled bags, such as we sell, are made from 100% re-used plastic and take no more oil from the ground.

Actually, isn't there an experiment in making them from tapioca?

Rapscallion

Comment

Quoth Rapscallion View Post
                        We do our own brand plastic bags and looked into bio-degradeable. They take fresh oil to make.
                        Interesting. Environmentally friendly but resource consumptive.
                        "I can tell her you're all tied up in the projection room." Sunset Boulevard.

Comment

Working...
                        X