This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• All of my customers are liars, I swear

This ended up being pretty long, I hope it makes sense...

So this is not a new concept for me, working in collections, but the audacity of this gentleman really stunned me. I spoke to him this morning because his service was suspended again because he had another returned check. He has had service since mid-March and has had four returned checks.

Yes, that's four. And all of them were in the past five weeks, because he waited a month and a half to pay his first bill. With a check. That bounced.

When I spoke to him around 9:00am, I told him that under no circumstances can he pay with another check. In fact, if he does attempt to pay with another check, his services will be terminated. He has yet to actually cover more than one month of service, since all of these payments keep coming back, so even with another payment, he would still be a month past due.

So then, I hear my coworker on the phone about 45 minutes later. By coworker, I mean the only other one. There's three of us in this whole department, and the other girl is off today. He is telling whoever on the phone that if he made a payment in the machine, it would post immediately, and if he made payment with a clerk, he would have a receipt with a big-ass bold receipt number on it. He didn't say "big-ass", but it's really big, I promise. This guy apparently kept insisting that he paid in the machine. So finally my coworker tells him that as soon as the payment posts, his services will restore.

Fast forward 15 minutes. The rep introducing the calls gives me half of the account number and I already know who it is. Puts the customer on the line.

Me: And how can I help you today?
    SC: Yeah... I, uh, paid my bill in the machine and a supervisor told me to call in and say I did that and you would turn my services back on.
    (I look over the notes and BEHOLD! It's the same dude.)
    Me: And how did you make that payment? It's really strange that it wouldn't post right away if you made it in the kiosk.
    SC: (whispering) A check...
    At this point, I am trying to hold in my glee, because this dude has been a pain in my butt for three months.
    Me: Actually, sir, I spoke with you not an hour ago and advised you that we can no longer accept check payments on your account. In fact, I advised you that another check received on your account would result in your account being terminated. Since the kiosk rejected your payment before it was processed, you should be able to pay with cash or a credit card to have your services restored. Anything else I can help you with?

He hung up.

Seriously though, not every call center in the world is huge. He was trying to pull the whole "but someone else said I could!" There's only two of us, and the other one is within slapping distance, so don't pull that with me. People do it in this department all the time. They will say that they never spoke to so-and-so and if they did admit to making a payment arrangement, it wasn't for the date set on their account. Too bad we all sum up the call by saying "So that will be $XXX.XX on Tuesday, June 12th, correct?" or whatever.

I understand that some people have money problems, I swear. If people call in and tell me they are having some issues, I will hold their account as long as I can before company policy dictates that they get suspended (which, by the way, lets them be two months late). I'm way too nice for a collection agent. However. I can't and won't help you if you knowingly bounce checks, I really have no sympathy for that.

My mantra is starting to be "All of our customers are liars."

Good story! Yet another lying SC caught in the act!

Comment

Im happy i wasn't drinking my blood water when i read this...

That guy is funny.

Comment

Over the past few months I had moved 4 times, one place I left I totally spaced paying the last electric bill, which was only about $40 anyway.

Fast forward to last week, I get a call from a collection company. I tell the rep to hold on, pull up my checking account info., and pay it right there on the spot.

While yes, my bad for not remembering to pay it in the first place, she was very surprised I think that I paid it on the first call with no dispute.
        If watermelons are made up of water, what are kumquats made up of?
        www.myspace.com/rentalracer

Comment

Quoth angelicafire View Post
          I understand that some people have money problems, I swear. If people call in and tell me they are having some issues, I will hold their account as long as I can before company policy dictates that they get suspended (which, by the way, lets them be two months late). I'm way too nice for a collection agent.

I'm always extremely grateful for that sort of thing - I think it's wonderful, and while I take advantage of it sometimes, I try not to take excess advantage.

When I'm having money problems, I sort of .. go through the bills that aren't paid, calculate how much I can afford, put the ones due first first in the stack, and figure out when I can afford to pay the rest. Then I make the 'excuse me, but would you mind horribly if I paid you on (date) instead of by (due date)' calls.

It's horribly embarassing to have to make those calls, but I'm SOOOOO grateful to the people who say 'sure, that's fine, thanks for letting us know'.

I guess the whole point of this is to say 'thank you'.
          Seshat's self-help guide:
          1. Would you rather be right, or get the result you want?
          2. If you're consistently getting results you don't want, change what you do.
          3. Deal with the situation you have now, however it occurred.
          4. Accept the consequences of your decisions.

"All I want is a pretty girl, a decent meal, and the right to shoot lightning at fools." - Anders, Dragon Age.

Comment

Would a sub-set of this would be the person who (as I call it) "Dials for Answers"? Someone who calls... then you look at the notes and see that they've called for the same thing (usually to restart their services) three time or more? Don't you just want to say "You called three times, sir -- what makes you think that this is going to be 'lucky number 4'?"
            In omnibus requiem quaesivi, et nusquam inveni nisi in angulo cum libro.

Comment

Persistence. Sometimes it's a good thing. When it's used for evil, it's not.
              Last edited by Becks; 06-05-2007, 10:07 PM. Reason: can't spell
              Unseen but seeing
              oh dear, now they're masquerading as sane-KiaKat
              There isn't enough interpretive dance in the workplace these days-Irv
              3rd shift needs love, too
              RIP, mo bhrionglóid

Comment

Quoth angelicafire View Post
                "If people call in and tell me they are having some issues, I will hold their account as long as I can before company policy dictates that they get suspended ."
                The company I work for services a number of different asset classes, when I first started working here, I was a backend collector for auto loans. That meant the account would have to be at least two payments past due before I worked it. I always tried to help out my customers as long as they were honest with me. Unfortunately, there are so many people who think they can lie, duck and dodge, or behave fraudulently in order to avoid their responsibilities.

I had one customer who I call the tuxedo man because he worked in a tux rental shop, and it was the only place I was ever able to contact him at. He purchased a vehicle with 12 months of deferred payments, when it was time to start making his installments, his vehicle wasn't worth half of the purchase price. He defaulted on his first and second payments and became my responsiblity. I found him, and took an ACH payment (check by phone), three days later the check bounces. This happens 3 times, every time he insists that the bank was at error. He finally admits after he set up a payment for $1100.00 that he doesn't have the money in the bank, and was just trying to buy some time before we came to pick up the vehicle. I immediately referred the account to our legal department to pursue further legal action, the customer not only 'stole' a vehicle, but he was intentially passing bad checks albeit through the ACH system.
                Tamezin

Comment

A few weekends ago we had a customer who'd been tagged with the "No Postdated Checks" note (for bouncing a previous one) call in roughly 25 times a day for about 3-4 days in a row trying to get someone, anyone to take a check payment. It was clearly stated the only way she could pay was by cash or money order at her local office. In all those calls there were 1 or 2 people who actually took a payment, either they didn't read the notes or they got worn out by her suckiness. Each time, a collections rep would go in and cancel the payment (check, naturally) and added a follow up "NO CHECKS" note. Finally they had to send an email to the whole center to not take any form of payment from her and just to go to a local office.

I mean, Holy cat poo, why would anyone try that hard to write another bad check? Don't they realize calling that many times would raise more flags than the UN?
                  "You know, there are times when it's a source of personal pride not to be human." - Hobbes

Comment

Working...
                  X