This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The gene pool needs some chlorine

So I work at a bank, a very large, well known bank to be exact. My job is to supervise the tellers to ensure that they are processing transactions correctly, which includes approving large checks and taking care of more complex transactions.

Anyone who has worked at a bank will tell you that some checks have to be held, that's just the way life is. For example, if your account has only $800 in it, and you're trying to deposit a $35,000 check, we'll more than likely hold that check. We look at things like account history and average balance to make sure we're not holding funds from someone who does this as a normal part of their banking. In short, I'm very well-trained and I know what the hell I'm doing when I put a hold on someone's check.

This is where SC comes in. He's an older man, about 50-60. His account and transaction are very similar to the one's mentioned above ($800 in his account, average balance of $1000, and a $35,000 deposit that is not normal for his account). He comes into the bank and proceeds to do a deposit with the teller (a girl who's been doing her job for over a year and is very good at it). She informs him that there may be a hold, but she'll check with a supervisor to make sure (me). I inform the customer that Teller is correct, because of the amount in the account and the fact that said check is well above his average balance, we'll have to put the check on hold to allow time for it to clear.

Cue Stupid Behavior by SC

SC: You're a moron. I've got millions of dollars with this bank and you can't hold that check.
    Me: Sir, I can see all of your accounts, and none of them warrants me taking the hold off of this check. You can get a cashier's check from the maker and if we can verify that there will be no hold, or you can bring in cash. This check, however, must be held until it clears.
    SC: You can't do your job. Why do they hire people like you? You're just stupid. I want to talk to your manager.
    Me: Sure thing.
    SC: You're damn right sure thing (because apparently me getting him a manager pissed him off too... who knows).
    Manager: Sir, we need to put this check on hold because your account is new and the balance isn't high enough to warrant immediate credit.
    SC: This is outrageous, I want to talk to the manager!!!
    Manager: I am the manager sir, and you need to stop yelling. This is a place of business and you can't act like that.
    SC: I can act however I damn well please. You people are a bunch of idiots.
    Manager: Sir, you need to stop talking to my employees like that or I'm going to ask you to leave.
    SC: You can't do that, I've got millions of dollars and I can act however I please (which I think is probably true in our society because we've bred the backbone right out of humanity).
    Manager: You need to leave, sir. NOW!!!
    SC: You can't make me. (At this point he walks into the lobby and sits down in a chair and refuses to leave until the President and CEO of our bank talks to him. We're a national bank and the CEO works in San Francisco, a few hundred miles away)
    Me: Sir, we've asked you to leave. We're calling the police and I suggest you leave the bank before they get here.
    SC: What time do you get off?!?!?! I wanna meet you in the parking lot (because apparently we're back in high school now...)
    Me: 6:15 jackass... (I'm about 6'1", 250, and I have a concealed weapons permit... I'm not worried in the least)
    SC: I'll be here!!!

To make a long story short the guy obviously never came back that night. Might be a good thing, who knows. I'm pretty sure I could have made a good case for self defense, but the jury may not have seen it that way after I reloaded and emptied another clip into him. We called corporate security and told them to close this guy's account.
    Last edited by protege; 06-08-2007, 03:56 AM.
    It puts the lotion on its skin or it gets the hose again...

God, when was the last time I said "You can't make me!!"? I guess I was, oh, about 6? Ah, memories...
    I don't go in for ancient wisdom
    I don't believe just 'cause ideas are tenacious
    It means that they're worthy - Tim Minchin, "White Wine in the Sun"

Comment

ok when they guy comes back and finds out his account is closed... tell us. I wanna see him bitch somemore.

Comment

(Welcome to the site BTW )

What the hell made this guy think it was ok to act that way? The "millions" of dollars he lied about? I can't believe the egos on some people!

Comment

I know how exactly how you are feeling! I am also a teller and get the same crap. One day, I told a woman that we can't deposit a check made out to both names into a single name account. I tell her that and she acts like a child. "I have many accounts here and I could deposit any account I want to". I can't believe people honestly think that just because they have accounts that mean we are just going to just bend the rules for them.

You can't do that, I've got millions of dollars
          So that entitles him to act like a jerk? I love "entitledment" people.

Comment

That guy thinks way too highly of himself.

Holds are a fact of life with large checks and banks - I've gotten used to them when depositing money from my dad's life insurance into my account.

However, on two recent occasions, my bank has pissed me off. The first was a check from my mother *from the same bank* that was on hold for three days, causing two items to bounce on the third day. It was THEIR bank! And not a big national one, either.
            Second was my tax refund check from the Federal Government - again, a three day hold. Seriously, the government isn't that much in debt that that check isn't going to clear.

Neither time did the bank ever officially inform me of the hold - in the past I've gotten letters letting me know exactly when funds would clear. Am I going to be an SC about it? No, I'm going to go to the bank where I've had accounts for my whole life and close them all and switch everything to a bank that has branches where I am now living. Same as I did for another bank (only an account holder for 8 months) after they put a 7-day hold, again without official notification, on my paycheck!

What that dude did was unreasonable. He wasn't being treated unfairly, he knew exactly the conditions and the timeline, but still thought he was above it and he could abuse the employees? Not cool at all dude. You ain't that important and your problems ain't that big a deal.

Comment

Welcome to CS!

Yikes. Was that recently or is it an older story?

^-.-^
              Faith is about what you do. It's about aspiring to be better and nobler and kinder than you are. It's about making sacrifices for the good of others. - Dresden

Comment

Welcome aboard to our little nut ship!

Quoth BRB82 View Post
                I'm pretty sure I could have made a good case for self defense, but the jury may not have seen it that way after I reloaded and emptied another clip into him.
                If they hit the head, you can claim it had no effect.
                I AM the evil bastard!
                A+ Certified IT Technician

Comment

can I just mention (non SC of course) that I hate those holds!

Not because I randomly want to deposit 35 grand or anything, but because they insist on trying to hold my tax refund. it's a government check! And all i want to do is deposit it and withdraw a couple hundred to pay my utility bill which is seriously over due.

I think it irks me even more because I've had that account since (literally) I was about 3 months old. I would understand it more if it were a new account.

And I DO understand the reasoning behind it, and I don't fault the teller, or the manager, since they don't make the rules. The good news is, the utility bill got paid, thanks to a sweet teller who waived the fee's for me.

Of course, I didn't go all freaked out and screaming either. i calmly, and politely explained that I had a rather urgent situation and needed some cash right away and she waived the fees without a hassle.

wow, that was...long winded and pointless :P

Comment

Quoth BRB82:
                    I'm about 6'1", 250, and I have a concealed weapons permit... I'm not worried in the least
                    ...Are you single?

Comment

Quoth MoonChild2007 View Post
                      I know how exactly how you are feeling! I am also a teller and get the same crap. One day, I told a woman that we can't deposit a check made out to both names into a single name account.
                      Although I can kinda see where she was frustrated. I had a similar problem last year when my car insurance company issued me a refund check on a premium I'd paid on a car that got totalled, and unfortunately it was in my and my dad's name. I had him co-endorse it, but the bank wouldn't take it without him signing it in front of them, but at that point in the game he was too unwell to travel (and died not too long after). I tried getting the insurance company to reissue the check in my name only, since I'd been paying the premium myself the whole time, but they wanted a death certificate and then the name of his next closest kin (my mom) so they could reissue the check in my and HER name.
                      I think I gave up at that point.

I also had an extraordinarily long hold on the check from my insurance for the totalled car itself, which was a pain because funds didn't get released until about 2 months after I'd deposited it, by which point I'd given up and bought another car. Once I had the money I paid off most of the loan, but still, what a pain in the ass.

Comment

Actually, to deposit a CHEQUE and not expect a hold is ludicrous. You can't deposit a Money Order without a hold placed on it these days.

I found that out the hard way, after selling something on eBay. Apparently American Money Orders are about as secure as wet paper bags, and there's a lot of counterfeiting going on (Which kinda destroys the purpose of Money Orders, doesn't it?)

It's just the price of doing business, and not getting ripped off. I'd much rather know my bank is checking these things instead of just giving a pass to things because someone complained.
                        Check out my webcomic!

Comment

Here in the UK pretty much every cheque takes 3 days to clear.

I'm just glad my wages are transfered straight to the bank, so my bills can go straight out.
                          "I can tell her you're all tied up in the projection room." Sunset Boulevard.

Comment

Quoth BRB82 View Post
                            I'm pretty sure I could have made a good case for self defense, but the jury may not have seen it that way after I reloaded and emptied another clip into him. We called corporate security and told them to close this guy's account.
                            No! BAD! That is so not right!

He's not worth emptying two clips into. Two shots center of mass if he attacks you is more than enough do drop him and is the standard tactic that FrontSight teaches.

<cough><cough><ahem> not that we condone such things here<cough>...but if he did attack first...

M
                            I never lost my faith in humanity. Can't lose what you never had right?

Comment

Quoth Polenicus View Post
                              Actually, to deposit a CHEQUE and not expect a hold is ludicrous.
                              But there ARE exceptions to your general rule - if the money is from an account with the same bank there should be no hold. They know within 2 minutes of processing that check if the money is there. And a Federal Government check should also be the same - if that check bounces, there are more problems than not issuing a 3 or 5-day hold!

So yes, you should always be aware there can be holds on your checks - but the bank should also be informing you of such as well as how long the hold will be. And it is not unreasonable to be upset that holds are placed on checks that there really should be no reason to be there.

Comment

Working...
                              X