Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I love Best Buy….But they are stressing the relationship.

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Add another vote to the not a SC group.

Now for a few tech q's on this machine.

You said that it freezes up after 45 minutes of play, is it like that with every disc? Or does the length change from disc to disc (ie some discs may be only 25 minutes while others will get to almost an hour).

If it freezes pretty consistantly (say within 40-50 minutes per disc) then I would say that it is your laser being slightly out of alignment. If you have the ability to do a "backup" disc, a Copied DVD on a normal DVD-R (4.5gb type) and it works fine than this is definantly your problem. I think what is happening is when it switches layers it is freezing. It reads the first layer fine, but it can't switch over to the second layer.

If it were dust then you would notice the freezes being much more random, and it would normally recover from the freeze. Typically it will appear to be a longer skip, that you could skip to the next chapter from.

PS. Never use paper labels on DVDRs. They will come loose as the glue heats up under the higher speeds. The disc turns faster in a DVD player then a CD player and the data is packed tighter on the disc then a CD. the labels will normally cause the disc to eventually go off balance and become a coaster. Use a Inkjet printable disc, Use a sharpy to label, Use a Lightscribe, but never use a adhesive label on a DVD.

Another test is to start a disc from the chapter selection menu, and choose a chapter from the end of the disc. If it won't play then you know its the laser needing adjustment for sure.
    Last edited by digilight; 06-13-2007, 03:39 PM. Reason: paper labels suck.
    My Karma ran over your dogma.

Comment

Yep, the tech was just using his standard fix-all then. I wonder if he knows how to do anything else? Let's hope so.

Good luck!
      Jim: Fact: Bears eat beets. Bears. Beets. Battlestar Gallactica.
      Dwight: Bears don't eat bee... Hey! What are you doing?
      The Office

Comment

I'm going to have to remember that speech for the next time I take my laptop in. *grumbles* freezing only after being in standby is NOT likely due to overheating, are you LISTENING to me??
        What a wonderful thing humanity is-- passionate, intelligent, inquisitive, generous, fully of hope and joy, noble of spirit, and above all... delicious! -- LaCroix

Comment

I only have store bought DVD’s, and it will skip / freeze even on brand new disks.

When I said 45 minutes, I have watched entire movies without problem, then my roommate pushed play on the EXACT same disk (it never left the machine) and it froze up on him. The freezing up never happens until at least 30-45 minutes into whatever disk I’m watching. Watching season one of a TV show the second episode it started to freeze. The next episode worked fine. When it freezes I can not do anything. The player does not respond to any commands at all except the power button. I have to power down, power up, menu, scene selection and skip past that scene and hope the problem is gone.

All of this information went to the tech when I dropped it off.

Comment

Okay, I said bordering. I did not say he was; please re-read my post.

I understand that there is a fine line between being a customer and not knowing jack about the electronic equipment, and knowing that there is something wrong more than what it was brought in for. Granted, the problem should have been looked at past 'it's just dust'.

All I'm saying is that the situation can be taken the wrong way. Tone of voice is important. But since the majority says I'm wrong, I'll just step back and hope that it's fixed. Sorry to have caused you trouble.
            Random conversation:
            Me: Okay..so I think I get why Zoro wears a bandana
            DDD: Cuz it's cool

So, by using the Doctor's reasoning, bow ties, fezzes and bandanas are cool.

Comment

Getting heated, folks. We've not had to close an angry thread in a while, and I don't want to have to do one in the near future.

Rapscallion

Comment

Working...
              X