This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Quoth Seshat View Post
    Who would we contact to get a medical POA and a DNR (or whatever medical treatment level we want) written up?

Is the family doctor likely to have 'fill in the blanks' copies of such forms, and be capable of certifying them?
    Check your inbox, I just PM'd you some information regarding DNR orders. Forgot which state you're in though sorry!
    The best professors are mad scientists! -Zoom

Now queen of USSR-Land...

Comment

There's an app for that!
      On my iPod, I have an app called SOS 4 Life.
      It has my current issues, medication levels, next of kin/contacts, DOB, address and allergies. I also have a Medic Alert bracelet, and it needs to be updated. But it's got my main issues.

Another thing to have is a laminated card in a wallet with some of these things, in case a person wanders out and isn't able to tell who/what/where.
      In my heart, in my soul, I'm a woman for rock & roll.
      She's as fast as slugs on barbituates.

Comment

Quoth Der Cute View Post
        There's an app for that!
        On my iPod, I have an app called SOS 4 Life.
        It has my current issues, medication levels, next of kin/contacts, DOB, address and allergies. I also have a Medic Alert bracelet, and it needs to be updated. But it's got my main issues.

Another thing to have is a laminated card in a wallet with some of these things, in case a person wanders out and isn't able to tell who/what/where.
        Did you get that on the Apple App Store, or one of the jail break ones? I can't find it on Apple's App Store, though I found several that seem to be similar.

Sounds like a great idea; I think I'll try a few of the free ones and see if I find one I like.
        They say that God only gives us what we can handle. Apparently, God thinks I'm a bad ass.

Comment

Quoth Panacea View Post
          Did you get that on the Apple App Store, or one of the jail break ones? I can't find it on Apple's App Store, though I found several that seem to be similar.

Sounds like a great idea; I think I'll try a few of the free ones and see if I find one I like.
          Might have been on Cydia. I don't remember, it's been a long time. There is another one with a very similar interface (telling me the same company made it) called ICE somethingsomething. But that one's buggy.
          Crud.
          In my heart, in my soul, I'm a woman for rock & roll.
          She's as fast as slugs on barbituates.

Comment

Quoth Der Cute View Post
            There is another one with a very similar interface (telling me the same company made it) called ICE somethingsomething. But that one's buggy.
            Crud.
            ICE - In Case of Emergency. It works pretty well on my phone (Samsung Galaxy Ace)...
            A PSA, if I may, as well as another.

Comment

Wait till you get the patients who will tell a completely different health history or series of events to the nurse at the ER.

Comment

Quoth 24601 View Post

A list of meds and medical history is nice but keep it somewhere it is visible, I remember one pt that had theirs taped on a mirror right by the door. We saw it as soon as we walked in. When you right out a list of meds, don't forget to list any OTC meds, vitamins, or herbal supplements.
                I should do that...I haven't at all and am on all kinds of meds for this and that. I do have a med bracelet on though that lists diabetes, sleep apnea and hypertension on it.
                https://www.youtube.com/user/HedgeTV
                Great YouTube channel check it out!

Comment

I have some of my info on my phone. Need to update it.

My Mom tried that.....

Nurse: Any alcohol?
                  Mom: No.
                  Dad and I: ::snort:: Yes.
                  Me: A glass of wine or beer everynight.
                  Mom: ::glare::
                  Me: ::'whacha gonna do about it' look:: Doc has to know just in case a med you go home with has a severe reaction to alcohol Mom.
                  "There is a sadist inside me. She likes cake." - Krys Wolf, my friend

In a coffee shop in Whitehouse, Texas: "Unsupervised children will be given two shots of espresso and a free puppy."

Comment

Quoth AlmightyALT View Post
                    My Mom tried that.....

Nurse: Any alcohol?
                    Mom: No.
                    Dad and I: ::snort:: Yes.
                    Me: A glass of wine or beer everynight.
                    Mom: ::glare::
                    Me: ::'whacha gonna do about it' look:: Doc has to know just in case a med you go home with has a severe reaction to alcohol Mom.
                    We also need to know if someone drinks so that withdrawal and the associated seizures can be avoided. 99% of the questions that medical people ask are to prevent complications, not to judge.

Comment

I keep a record of my pills, vitamins, medications and food allergies on my ipad. IICR (and probably Panacea will back me up on this), if you're allergic to certain foods then you're allergic to certain medications or medical procedures. A latex allergy and allergy to cashews can go hand in hand, for example. My chocolate and caffeine allergy means I can't have any "ultra strength" OTC pain relievers like "Sneckcedrin" for migraine because it has caffeine in addition to the acetaminophen/paracetemol. The same with pills that are formed into gels, most contain soy or soybean oil.
                      Success is not final, failure is not fatal: It is the courage to continue that counts.-Winston Churchill

Comment

Quoth ralerin View Post
                        I keep a record of my pills, vitamins, medications and food allergies on my ipad. IICR (and probably Panacea will back me up on this), if you're allergic to certain foods then you're allergic to certain medications or medical procedures. A latex allergy and allergy to cashews can go hand in hand, for example. My chocolate and caffeine allergy means I can't have any "ultra strength" OTC pain relievers like "Sneckcedrin" for migraine because it has caffeine in addition to the acetaminophen/paracetemol. The same with pills that are formed into gels, most contain soy or soybean oil.
                        Yup. Also, if you're allergic to shellfish, you are probably allergic to betadine (that brownish looking antiseptic) and IV contrast dye.
                        They say that God only gives us what we can handle. Apparently, God thinks I'm a bad ass.

Comment

This reminds me of my dad's last days - over a month in the hospital with heart problems. He always was of the "never show pain cuz I'm a MARINE" persuasion, so he would outright lie whenever he was asked about pain he was having unless I was the only one in the room. The nurses figured out very quickly that, anytime he told them he wasn't in pain, to snag me the next time I left the room to get the real story, as he would generally tell then that his pain was "oh only a 3, I can deal with it" on the 1-10 scale to a nurse (or doctor!), wait for them to leave, and then grab his back/leg/arm (nasty bedsores from an inflatable mattress that was left *uninflated* for THREE WEEKS on his hospital bed , surgery pain, and constant pain from the IV's, respectively) while visibly crying at the intensity of the pain when only I could see. I usually managed to calm him down and make an excuse (refill his water jug, etc) to go see them whenever he did that. I loved him to death but he didn't know when to just sit back and let the hospital peeps do their jobs >_>

As for me...? HBP, thyroid, weight....And all meds with exact doses AND what they are for in civilian terms listed in a little pocket-sized Moleskine I used to use as a food journal; I try to keep it in my briefcase or whatever.

Trust me, whenever I inevitably end up in a hospital at some point (just like just about everyone will, sooner or later), it is my intention to be very clear about anything that needs attention...without being a dick about it ^_^
                          "For a musician, the SNES sound engine is like using Crayola Crayons. Nobuo Uematsu used Crayola Crayons to paint the Sistine Chapel." - Jeremy Jahns (re: "Dancing Mad")
                          "The difference between an amateur and a master is that the master has failed way more times." - JoCat
                          "Thinking is difficult, therefore let the herd pronounce judgment!" ~ Carl Jung
                          "There's burning bridges, and then there's the lake just to fill it with gasoline." - Wiccy, reddit
                          "Retail is a cruel master, and could very well be the most educational time of many people's lives, in its own twisted way." - me
                          "Love keeps her in the air when she oughta fall down...tell you she's hurtin' 'fore she keens...makes her a home." - Capt. Malcolm Reynolds, "Serenity" (2005)
                          Acts of Gord – Read it, Learn it, Love it!
                          "Our psychic powers only work if the customer has a mind to read." - me

Comment

Working...
                          X