This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wait your damn turn!

So at our check-in desk, it's basically a nice long counter with 3 stations. And this happens:

Me: *going through my spiel as I check in a guest."
    SC: *walks up next to the guest I am checking in and tries to hand me a credit card* "Hi I'm checking in."
    Me: "I'll be with you in a moment after I'm done assisting this guest."

I wish I was exaggerating, but this happens to me weekly.

I also get guests who will walk up with their print-out of their confirmation, stand right next to whoever I am checking in, and they'll have their confirmation on the counter and slowly start inching it across toward me. Like they're waiting for me to take it while I am still checking in another guest. This is almost a daily occurrence; on busy days it happens multiple times! Again, I wish I was exaggerating, but I'm not.

I finally broke down and asked my coworker if it was just me, or did this happen all the time, and she agreed that it happened to her all the time and that it was strange.

When I worked at the motel, we had a similar counter set-up, but I never encountered this phenomenon with such frequency; maybe every other month I'd get someone who was so impatient and pushy, but people generally waited their turn in line. I know guests at The Resort tend to be more entitled than guests at The Cheap Motel, but geez.

I try to always acknowledge guests with an "I'll be with you in a moment" when I'm busy, but that does not mean they get to come up and start shoving their stuff in my face while I'm checking in another guest!

This happens all the damn time. What the hell is with people?
    Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit. Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad.

It happens to me too. It's like the SCs just do not comprehend that there are other people in the world, even right there in that store. And the customers who get interrupted don't have the courage to tell the buttinskis off, so it keeps happening. Even just a "Sir, I was here first," should get their attention and make them back off and wait their turn, but they don't have the guts to speak up. And if we speak up, the SCs complain to management or corporate about us, saying we were "rude".
    I don't have an attitude problem. You have a perception problem.
    My LiveJournal
    A page we can all agree with!

Comment

I do not get people like this, I mean I learned how to stand in line and wait my turn in kindergarten...or maybe even preschool. Its not hard. Slightly off topic I remember when Southwest airlines went from A,B, and C boarding lines to adding numbers for each letter i.e. A 1-10 etc. The gate agent looked like he wanted to send the lot of the passengers back to kindergarten for counting lessons.

Comment

I hated people like this when I worked at MW repair. They'd edge their item over, ever so slowly, until they damn near knocked off the customer I'm with's stuff off the counter. For them, I reserved the right to print out the tag of my current customer, tape or tie it to their item, take the item to the back, stow it in it's slot, all the while chatting with techs as I passed various sections.

And then I'd fake a printer problem on printing their tag... Not my fault the printer was so poorly designed that if I put the tag in slightly off kilter, the blasted thing would jam. If they couldn't show patience during the previous customer's transaction, then they could learn during their own.

My manager was never the wiser.. he couldn't get the blasted register to print tags half the time.
        If I make no sense, I apologize. I'm constantly interrupted by an actual toddler.

Comment

Happened to me all the time at the gas station I worked at. People just had no sense of patience or comprehension of a line, who gets there first, etc.

Most of the time I'd completely ignore anyone trying to shove money in my face or trying to just put it on the counter and walk away,or the people who'd start barking what lottery tickets they wanted while I was waiting for the credit card machine to process. I didn't want to be a bitch or so anal, but if you were short a dollar, what was I to do? Especially the people who pump $10.04 worth of gas and don't have the .04....not that big of a deal once, but if two, three, four, five people come in and just throw tens at me.....now my register is going to start going off. Then there'd be Dudley Dumbass who pumped $21 in gas but just walked in and threw a $20 at me and took off, or the sneaky people who just walked in the door and set their money on the counter at the end, over by the smokes and snuff. So, once my rush was over, and I walked that way, I'd see random bills laying on the counter, so I'd have to go back to the register to play mix and match.
          You really need to see a neurologist. - Wagegoth

Comment

I've had this happen quite a few times from the other side of the counter, and it drives me crazy. I will usually say something like "excuse me" if they start getting too close to me (I tend to be very protective of my personal space), and it usually works. I did have some ultra-important idiot at a con try to butt in while I was checking into the hotel who didn't like being told to back off:
            Him: I'm in a hurry. I'm trying to check in so I can get to the con.
            Me: Con hasn't started yet. Registration isn't even open.
            Him: How do you know? (said with that amazingly audible sneer)
            Me: Because I'm one of the people running it. You don't get in until after I do. Chill.

The con chair was standing next to me, since she was the hotel liason as well. She was alternately looking shocked and trying not to laugh.
            "If your day is filled with firefighting, you need to start taking the matches away from the toddlers…” - HM

Comment

I've occasionally asked to put heavy items on the counter ahead of people who were in line, but then go back to my place in line. I've never had a problem saying "would you mind if I just set this on the counter? I'm having a hard time carrying it." Every single time that's happened, people have responded positively. But to just shove myself ahead? Ugh. Were these people raised in a barn? No, wait, that would be an insult to the animals in the barn.
              At the conclusion of an Irish wedding, the priest said "Everybody please hug the person who has made your life worth living. The bartender was nearly crushed to death.

Comment

People always interrupt me while I'm counting yardage. For example tulle (for tutus or weddings) or drapery cording both things that people buy in large quantities. I'm counting out loud, "28, 29-" and someone pops up going "where did you move the linen?!" And they always get miffed when I ignore them and count even louder.

Coworker told me just today that she was nearly done helping someone when someone else barged up and asked her a question. Coworker says "one moment, while I finish with this customer." The woman opened and shut her mouth like a fish, making noises in the back of her throat. Finally, the customer my coworker was helping said "it's called waiting your turn." Woman storms off. Footnote on this, the person the woman was trying to push in on had multiple facial tattoos. I had helped him earlier, and he was not in any way intimidating, but I bet the woman didn't want to talk back to him...
                Last edited by notalwaysright; 04-22-2015, 12:00 AM.
                Replace anger management with stupidity management.

Comment

Working...
                X