This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Do you believe your own eyes?

I'm on a big furniture install and the vendor is there to check everything out. She's being super picky on little details.

One issue we had came with the drawer units for the workstations - they couldn't be put tight to the ends because a bracket was in the way. This is completely unacceptable, they must be tight to the ends. Okay, well there's a bracket in the way, that's why we didn't put them tight, we can get them there, but we have to lower the cabinet so it won't be tight to the surface. Oh no, we can't do that either, it has to be tight to the end and tight to the surface. Okay, maybe you didn't hear me, so take a look for yourself, there is a bracket there preventing us from doing that. Well I just don't know what I'm talking about, there is no way the manufacturer would build something like that (and she doesn't need to look at the product to see that I'm right). Well they did, so do you want them tight to the end or tight to the surface? I took her non-answer of "we can't have that gap at the end" to mean lower them from the surface.

On to a bank of cabinets, there are 4 filing cabinets followed by a 5th supply cabinet. The supply cabinet is about an inch shorter than the filing cabinets. Once again, completely unacceptable, they must all be the same height. Well what does she expect me to do, stretch the supply cabinet? That's impossible though, she ordered 72" high file cabinets and a 72" high supply cabinet, the manufacturer couldn't have made them smaller. Okay, your 72" file cabinet is 70", and your 72" supply cabinet is 69", look at the tape measure yourself if you don't believe me. Nope, no need for that, I've got to make it work. Fortunately, I had just enough of the leveling glide to raise the supply cabinet to an acceptable level.

This brought us to another height issue. Each workstation had a file tower in it, these towers were all 1" higher than the panels. I pointed this out to her and mentioned how it looked like crap, does she want us to raise the panels to match the height. Well we don't have to do that because the panels are the same height. Ummm, what?!? How about you open your eyes and see that everywhere you look, the towers are higher than the panels. No that can't be, the towers are 50" high and she ordered 50" panels, so they have to be the same height. Rather than getting into an argument over whether the physical evidence is actually a fact, I just ask her if she wants them all at the same height. I took "they have to be at the same height, that's what I ordered" to be a "yes".

I'm used to these twits taking the side of the manufacturer when it's a defect that isn't completely visible, but when it's an indisputable, plain as day fact right before your eyes, how can you still tell me I'm wrong? Oh yeah, customers suck!
    D.I.L.L.I.G.A.F.
    Quoth = Crossbow "EvilHomer, Irv, Gravekeeper, and Seraph: the Four Horsemen of the Dumbpocalypse."

You've touched on a pet peeve of mine when it comes to installing just about anything. If I'm asking/requiring for measurements, I'm looking for either manufacturers diagrams with measurements or someone went out and physically took the measurements. Most assuredly not "amazon says it's 48" tall" or so-n-so at HomeWreckers says its 32" wide.

Comment

Quoth BearLeeBadenaugh View Post
      You've touched on a pet peeve of mine when it comes to installing just about anything. If I'm asking/requiring for measurements, I'm looking for either manufacturers diagrams with measurements or someone went out and physically took the measurements. Most assuredly not "amazon says it's 48" tall" or so-n-so at HomeWreckers says its 32" wide.
      Indeed. Especially for Amazon. I'm in a small place, if (for example) the drawer organizer says 12" wide, and it is actually 12.5," then it won't fit. I've been "scolded" for asking if anyone who's bought the product could vouch for the actual measurements. Replies like "Amazon lists the measurements." Thanks, but no thanks. Been burned by that too many times. It's often 12" measured to the inside, but there may be a lip or something which is not included in the measurement.

As for the lady in the OP, it drives me crazy when people just repeat something that's not really an answer and then give you this "well?" expression. Like if someone comes up with fabric and ask for two yards and there's only a yard and a half, they just repeat back "I need two yards" and stare at me. Well there isn't two yards! Either go back and find a different fabric, or try to make do with what I have, but staring at me is not useful.
      Replace anger management with stupidity management.

Comment

Working...
      X