This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2 Days, 2 Accusations of Racism

You may accuse me of many things, but bigotry in general and racism in particular are not among them. I say that because twice now, guests have lost their respective shit due to some perceived slight and have accused us of just that.

The first one was in full swing when I came in to work yesterday night. I wasn't there to witness whatever it was that set this Black guy off, but it's my understanding that asking for his identification was in some way racist. Problem was, he and his wife did not share a last name, which was why there was confusion. He was going bugshit on the manager on duty, who placated him as much as possible and settled him down.

Of course, he got the Please Steal From Us guarantee.

Last night was my turn. We had one single, solitary room left to sell, and one reservation left to check in. The manager on duty, same as yesterday night, was up front and we were checking on that reservation because it was a bed-and-breakfast package from a local tourist attraction that is a very big deal. Also, though this is reputedly a luxury family of brands, we employ a Third World computer system that goes down about as often as a truck stop whore, and which goes down overnight every Saturday. If you don't get that audit done before 1AM, you have to wait until about 5AM to do it.

Thus, we were rather concerned about that last reservation. Anyway, a Black man comes up to ask if we have anything, then tells us that he wants to redeem his loyalty program points. That's something we can't do through our front desk computers, and which must instead be done through the loyalty program itself. You can call them or do it online, but either way, they do it. Not us.

We told him as much, and in response he thrust his driver's license at us, incredulous that he might need to go out to his car to retrieve his cell phone to make the reservation. We offered the house phone and I told him how to dial to get out and dial the number. This seemed beyond him, so I offered to dial it for him, and did.

Then comes the fun part. He made his reservation for our very last room, a smoking room as it turned out. Then, despite the fact he couldn't dial the loyalty program number, he was definitely able to hang up and dial the complaint line. And so he spent the next half an hour tattling to them about us. I stood here at my computer and listened to him tell baldfaced lies about my manager and myself, both of whom were named -- although he called the manager by the wrong name three times because he was reading off our business card and ignoring the large sign at the other end of the desk with the name of the manager on duty on it.

He said he was not greeted -- a lie.

He said we did not offer to help him -- a lie.

He said that we looked at him as though "I was just someone off the street."

...Which leads me to the punchline. He was a Cubic Zirconium member of our loyalty program, the highest tier there is. Apparently we were supposed to divine this by reading his holy aura, because just looking at your driver's license sure as hell isn't going to tell me anything like that about you.

While this was going on, I went ahead and checked him in, and sent my security guard to spray the room with air freshener. During a quiet time, I asked the guest for his car information, and gave him more fodder for his complaint. When the poor person charged with listening to him whine came back on the line, he made sure to tell them I was interrupting him.

Then came the kicker, when he told the complaint line that he felt we were "biased," at which point my blood began to boil and is only now, roughly four hours later beginning to cool. Then, once he was off the phone and checked in, he looked at our little case of snacks and drinks that we offer to our Brass and Cubic Zirconium members, said he would go get his things, then come back for "my Cubic Zirconium member water and nuts."

His.

His. As if this were some great entitlement and not in actuality a pittance of food and drink for people who are too stupid to stop at a gas station.

And then, all smiles at having brought the wrath of corporate down upon us -- myself by name and my manager by the wrong name -- off he went to his room, damn near whistling a jaunty tune.

Bias. That goddamn, shit-sucking, mother-ass-fucker.
    Last edited by Antisocial_Worker; 04-19-2015, 07:13 AM.
    Drive it like it's a county car.

What a pair of tools! And then to top it off they complain which gets you and your manager in trouble for no reason _AND_ they get to invoke the Please Steal From Us guarantee (which really needs to DIAF!).

Comment

I wish there was a way to shut these people up and tell them that THEY are the ones being racist, because 90% of the time, that's what it is.
      The fact that jellyfish have survived for 650 million years despite not having brains gives hope to many people.

You would have to be incredibly dense for the world to revolve around you.

Comment

You can't do it as the employee, or you might lose your job, but as a customer witnessing it you sure can:

(Addressing the complainer) How dare you accuse her of racism just because she's Muslim. We don't tolerate that kind of religious intolerance here, you need to apologize to her immediately and stop being such a bigot!!

Bonus points if the person accused of racism is as white as they come

I've only done this once, but my god the woman I went for deserved it (what kind of idiot accuses someone of racism because they charge the menu price for coffee, in the coffee shop?)
        Pain and suffering are inevitable...misery is optional.

Comment

Ugh, so sorry you had to listen to that. I hope the corporate person who took the complaint picked up on the EW vibe and "accidentally loses" the complaint.

It's hard to get accused of racism when you work on the phone, but I've had it happen. The first time it happened I was totally gobsmacked and told the customer I had no idea what race he was as I couldn't see him. To this day I believe the guy was as white as I am.
          When you start at zero, everything's progress.

Comment

I'm surprised that, even though loyalty cards make it easy to track a guest's history with the company (that's their purpose), corporate doesn't routinely check to see whether a guest is profitable (the "please steal from us" guarantee sounds like it's easy to abuse, and could easily make a guest NON-profitable). Once corporate finds that a "frequent flyer" is actually costing the company money, "fire" them with a letter telling them that they clearly expect more than the chain is able to provide, so that in future they need to stay elsewhere - and they go from Cubic Zirconium to DNR faster than they can dial the complaints number.

As for OP's second "race card" guest, if I'd been another guest who overheard what went on, I'd be inclined to wait for them to waltz up to their room and then ask the front desk staff if they needed someone to complain about an obnoxious guest disturbing their stay - especially if I were in a room close to theirs.
            Any fool can piss on the floor. It takes a talented SC to shit on the ceiling.

Comment

He sounded like he had something stuck up his butt! That only a flamethrower would get!
              I love ti when a guest complains to corporate in front of me. It gives me a chance to practice my IDC face.
              Can't reason with the unreasonable.
              The only thing worse than not getting hired is getting hired.

Comment

Guess who got the Please Steal From Us guarantee, and guess who demanded even more than that or else he was going to tank our reviews?

You get three guesses and the first two don't count.

Comment

my three guesses are beetlejuice, beetlejuice, beetlejuice.
                  Interviewer: What is your greatest weakness?
                  Me: I expect competence from my coworkers.

Comment

Quoth Aragarthiel View Post
                    I wish there was a way to shut these people up and tell them that THEY are the ones being racist, because 90% of the time, that's what it is.
                    "You're only saying that because I'm [socio-ethnic or religious group]" works just as well for all of us - my whiter than white colleague has shut down a few such arguments with that one!
                    This was one of those times where my mouth says "have a nice day" but my brain says "go step on a Lego". - RegisterAce
                    I can't make something magically appear to fulfill all your hopes and dreams. Believe me, if I could I'd be the first person I'd help. - Trixie

Comment

Quoth Antisocial_Worker View Post
                      Guess who got the Please Steal From Us guarantee, and guess who demanded even more than that or else he was going to tank our reviews?

You get three guesses and the first two don't count.
                      Poor cynical me saw this coming...

Quoth wolfie View Post
                      I'm surprised that, even though loyalty cards make it easy to track a guest's history with the company (that's their purpose), corporate doesn't routinely check to see whether a guest is profitable (the "please steal from us" guarantee sounds like it's easy to abuse, and could easily make a guest NON-profitable). Once corporate finds that a "frequent flyer" is actually costing the company money, "fire" them with a letter telling them that they clearly expect more than the chain is able to provide, so that in future they need to stay elsewhere - and they go from Cubic Zirconium to DNR faster than they can dial the complaints number.
                      I like this idea, your management definitely needs to look into this and fire some of these idiots!

Comment

I'm wondering, because of your mention of the nuts and water for members, if you work for the Inn that is named for holy days. I'm a rewards member, and the desk always gives me the option of the snacks or 300 extra points. I ALWAYS pick the points, and can't imagine why someone would pick a tiny packet of gorp over the points. It just doesn't make sense to me, but maybe I'm missing something.
                        Life's too short to drink cheap beer

Comment

"Sir, my husband / wife / boyfriend / girlfriend is black." Doesn't matter if true, that usually shuts 'em up.
                          "I try to be curious about everything, even things that don't interest me." -Alex Trebek

Comment

Quoth WishfulSpirit View Post
                            "Sir, my husband / wife / boyfriend / girlfriend is black." Doesn't matter if true, that usually shuts 'em up.
                            In this case it is true, and my partner is considerably darker-skinned than this guys was. It's also worth noting that my mother is Native American. Being racist would be a really neat trick for me considering all of that.

Comment

I can't afford a vacation. How many nights could I get free under Please Steal From Us?

J/k. I couldn't be enough of a bitch to complain that way unless something truly was awful.

Comment

Working...
                              X