This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Tyrant

To begin with, I need to tell you about my fellow supervisor, A. A is a good person, who provides excellent customer service. However, she also has a temper (she blames the mix of Irish and German blood in her), and she won't put up with any crap, from customers are otherwise. Because of this, I tend to assume any SC's she deals with were at least partially exasperated by her temper.

But this one... Considering I only had to deal with him for less than 5 minutes over the phone and *I* wanted to slap him, well, this one is all on him.

The story, as best as I can collect it, is this.

A was running the day shift at Pizza Castle Hawk, while I'm scheduled to run the night shift. Early in the day (Im thinking around 1 though I don't remember for certain what time the order said when I looked it up), we get a call from The Tyrant.

Red Flags start going up immediately. The Tyrant will not give us his name or phone number. Honestly, we should have cancelled right there. Name and Phone Number are, you know, kinda required for Takeout orders. But he was already being a rude, inconsiderate jerk, so A decided it would be best just to take his order and get it done with.

He wanted 12 Large, Thick Crust Pizzas, 10 of the current special, and 2 others. No problem, we can do it.

And then he demanded (Not asked, DEMANDED) that it be done in 20 minutes. Now hold on one minute there sparky. 12 Pizzas in 20 minutes with our slow period staff? Especially the thick crust pizzas which take longer? We can't do that. Laws of physics and cook time and all. A offers him 30 minutes, and he becomes very abusive, absolutely DEMANDING 20 minutes.

Well, they managed to squeeze it out in 25, barely. And here, things get fuzzy. I know that A lost her temper at this point after he started yelling at her. Apparently, the police were called (but didn't actually come). And somehow during all this confusion, the discount for the current special didn't get applied.

Which caused him to call back later and start screaming again.

So, I walk into my shift and hear all this backstory. A hands me a new reciept, gives me the sory, and tells me we fixed the prices on our end, however the bank (who we have no control over) will probably put a hold on the final amount for a day or two, and to tell the jerk to NEVER CALL US AGAIN.

So I get to spend the whole day waiting for this call. Finally, around 8:30, The Tyrant finally calls back.

Here's where I knew this wasn't A's fault. The guy was still hyperventalating. It had been at least 7 hours, and he was still so enraged that he couldn't breath properly.

He says, quote "My name is John (Or maybe Rob, Tom, or something. It was a short, common name, and I honestly forgot what it was at the end of the call, which will become important in a second), Are you the GM?!"

I tell him that I'm the shift supervisor, and try to ask what I can do for hi- "WHAT IS THE NAME OF THE GENERAL MANAGER?"

Well, the store manager is T, and the store owners are B and M- "WHAT ARE THEIR NUMBERS? I had the WORST experience ever this afternoon and someone NEEDS TO BE FIRED"

I pause for a second, briefly considering giving out the number of the store owner as a subtle bit of revenge, but decide not to because even they don't deserve this.

"Well I don't have their numbers but B can usually be found working at our other store. It's number is XXXXXXXXXXX"

"WELL OK. I NEED to contact him. But I won't give you my phone number for security reasons! But I want you to leave a WRITTEN NOTE for him. Got that, a WRITTEN NOTE!"

"Uh... Ok? What would you like that note to say-"

"Say that I am VERY UNHAPPY and NEED TO CONTACT HIM. And you WILL leave A WRITTEN NOTE UNDERSTAND? GOODBYE!" *Click*

So my instructions are to leave a written note that some dude who's name is John (No last name!) is very angry and needs to contact you, but gave me absolutely no information to do so with. Got it. Right. Thanks for that drive by brush with absolute craziness. Hey wait - he didn't even give me a chance to tell him we corrected the price of the order. Oh well.

So then I'm cashing out at the end of the night, and my cashout is $250 short. BUHWHAAAAA? It's not in cash... it's in credit cards. Which, as far as I know, shouldn't be possible, because it's all automated within the system. So I leave a note, (including a bit about the angry guy) and give up and go home. And on my way home, I realize that 250 bucks... would be the price of those 12 pizzas. Did that guy... dispute charges? Or something crazy like that?

Uhoh.

I have a feeling I haven't heard the end of The Tyrant yet. If I find out more, I'll post an update.

*hands popcorn to next commenter*

This should be fun. Tell me please that you have this recorded for Posterity our sake.
    "Employees can make or break any business, so treat them with respect. Job satisfaction has little to do with money. Discover what it has to do with and make sure they get it."

Comment

Mother of god...

I would've said "dis gon b gud" but I'm not so sure that's going to be the case.
      PWNADE(TM) - Serve up a glass today! | PWNZER - An act of pwnage so awesome, it's like the victim got hit by a tank.

There are only Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse because I choose to walk!

Comment

*next in line for the popcorn*

Would a dispute charge back that quick, or did A maybe make an oops when trying to fix the price of the pizzas?
        Sorry, my cow died so I don't need your bull

Comment

Maybe, if the guy were acting this way in person, it's possible the payment just never went through properly, but was unnoticed because the cashier was distracted by the insanity of this guy...? Then again, you say the bank fixed the charge, so their must have been one. The only other thing I can think of is, that the bank really did cancel the old charge on that day, before issuing a new one. That's incredibly fast.
          "For a musician, the SNES sound engine is like using Crayola Crayons. Nobuo Uematsu used Crayola Crayons to paint the Sistine Chapel." - Jeremy Jahns (re: "Dancing Mad")
          "The difference between an amateur and a master is that the master has failed way more times." - JoCat
          "Thinking is difficult, therefore let the herd pronounce judgment!" ~ Carl Jung
          "There's burning bridges, and then there's the lake just to fill it with gasoline." - Wiccy, reddit
          "Retail is a cruel master, and could very well be the most educational time of many people's lives, in its own twisted way." - me
          "Love keeps her in the air when she oughta fall down...tell you she's hurtin' 'fore she keens...makes her a home." - Capt. Malcolm Reynolds, "Serenity" (2005)
          Acts of Gord – Read it, Learn it, Love it!
          "Our psychic powers only work if the customer has a mind to read." - me

Comment

No popcorn for me, thx; the hulls get stuck in my teeth. Anyone else for nachos? I got some nachos...

I think that no matter what happens, this doesn't go the way the customer hopes it will. I'm going to go to my grave marveling at that particular class of people that refuses to give sufficient information to companies that require it to do business. Not that they don't have the information or that they're worried that the information will change over the course of the transaction, but simply refusing to give required information for their own reasons.

Comment

I'm certain the customer won't get his way, as the Powers That Be are less likely to put up with his type of nonsense then we are. The question simply is how much collateral damage will occur along the way.

The funny part is, hypothetically, if A gets fired, that will bring the entire restaurant down. The Powers That Be know this. We have 3 supervisors and one manager at the store, all of which are working 5 days a week for full schedules to keep everything covered. If A is fired or quits, J, who is her best friend, will quit as well. And neither T nor I will stay aboard that sinking ship and leave on top of that. The Powers That Be are well aware of this, so there's no way in heck they'll fire A over this.

Though the Tyrant seems like the kind of person who would find this out, and then do everything in his power to make that happen.

Comment

Wait, he won't give his phone number "for security reasons"?? WTF security reasons?? BUT he still wants to be contacted?? How? Carrier pigeon? Smoke signals? Telepathy?
                When you start at zero, everything's progress.

Comment

Quoth EricKei View Post
                  Maybe, if the guy were acting this way in person, it's possible the payment just never went through properly, but was unnoticed because the cashier was distracted by the insanity of this guy...?
                  That would not surprise me. I'm sure there are scammers out there who throw conniption fits like this to keep their targets off guard and flustered, thus making mistakes likely to go in the scammer's favor.

This jackass who won't give a full name or telephone number and snarls like a rabid wolverine is setting off all sorts of red flags. I hope A tells the owner and store managers everything, and I further hope they give him nothing but a swift kick out the door, possibly even arrested. I pray they don't cave and give in to him.
                  I don't have an attitude problem. You have a perception problem.
                  My LiveJournal
                  A page we can all agree with!

Comment

Quoth MoonCat View Post
                    Wait, he won't give his phone number "for security reasons"?? WTF security reasons?? BUT he still wants to be contacted??
                    Actually, what it sounded like to me, is that "John the Tyrant" wanted the owner to be available at any time, waiting for his (John's) call. That was the purpose of the WRITTEN note, since what The Tyrant said was the HE (John) needed to contact B (The Owner).

SC
                    "...four of his five wits went halting off, and now is the whole man governed with one..." W. Shakespeare, Much Ado About Nothing Act I, Sc I

Do you like Shakespeare? Join us The Globe Theater!

Comment

Quoth MoonCat View Post
                      Wait, he won't give his phone number "for security reasons"?? WTF security reasons?? BUT he still wants to be contacted?? How? Carrier pigeon? Smoke signals? Telepathy?
                      My thoughts as well. And of course that will just give him something else to scream about, if and when somebody finally does get hold of him ...

Comment

Don't know about y'all, but I tend to dig in my heels when someone acts like an asshole to me.
                        Here Mr Customer, let me pull that out of my arse for you!

Comment

Well, they're usually not "acting" ...

And whether an employee is permitted to do anything besides apologize for the customer's bad behavior varies by company, sadly.
                          "For a musician, the SNES sound engine is like using Crayola Crayons. Nobuo Uematsu used Crayola Crayons to paint the Sistine Chapel." - Jeremy Jahns (re: "Dancing Mad")
                          "The difference between an amateur and a master is that the master has failed way more times." - JoCat
                          "Thinking is difficult, therefore let the herd pronounce judgment!" ~ Carl Jung
                          "There's burning bridges, and then there's the lake just to fill it with gasoline." - Wiccy, reddit
                          "Retail is a cruel master, and could very well be the most educational time of many people's lives, in its own twisted way." - me
                          "Love keeps her in the air when she oughta fall down...tell you she's hurtin' 'fore she keens...makes her a home." - Capt. Malcolm Reynolds, "Serenity" (2005)
                          Acts of Gord – Read it, Learn it, Love it!
                          "Our psychic powers only work if the customer has a mind to read." - me

Comment

Quoth EricKei View Post
                            Well, they're usually not "acting" ...

And whether an employee is permitted to do anything besides apologize for the customer's bad behavior varies by company, sadly.
                            Unfortunately, our corporate suits tend to expect us to perform fellatio.
                            Here Mr Customer, let me pull that out of my arse for you!

Comment

Quoth JustShootMe View Post
                              Unfortunately, our corporate suits tend to expect us to perform fellatio.
                              Or telephellatio...
                              I am not an a**hole. I am a hemorrhoid. I irritate a**holes!
                              Procrastination: Forward planning to insure there is something to do tomorrow.
                              Derails threads faster than a pocket nuke.

Comment

Working...
                              X