This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Why?

My number-one question about the incident I was on the receiving end of tonight.

Let me start by saying my husband and I are both OK, so far as we can tell, about two hours post-event.

I got home to a minor domestic crisis in the form of my husband's wireless mouse having given up the ghost. After some stress back and forth, we figured out the nearest office supply place that had the desired replacement in stock (he insists on a particular brand/model) and ventured forth.

At the end of the driveway to the nearest actual street, a car was stopped in front of us, apparently waiting to turn. We hadn't been stopped for long when the "driver" in front of us abruptly dropped into reverse and slammed into our front end. Then said "driver" went into forward and took off at high speed.

I can think of no possible "innocent mishap" explanation, since there was no circumstance that would have made reversing a reasonable thing to do. So far as we are aware, the alleged driver in question is not someone we've had any quarrel with. We're not even aware of anyone we have any acquaintance with who drives that make.

There are multiple cars of the same body style, size, and color, including one of our same make/model/color, in our complex. Visibility was not sufficient for identification of people inside either vehicle from outside same.

I was in the passenger seat, and it's effectively standard in our state for rear license plates to be lit. My phone was in my hand, so I grabbed my text app (first thing that came to mind) and recorded their plate,and we called police within about two minutes. I've also emailed building management to inquire as to whether that car belongs to an actual resident of this complex.

Is there anything that remotely passes for any explanation other than the offender being drunk/high/psycho?
    "Crazy may always be open for business, but on the full moon, it has buy one get one free specials." - WishfulSpirit

"Sometimes customers remind me of zombies, but I'm pretty sure that zombies are smarter." - MelindaJoy77

Scammer probably, going to say you rear ended them.

Comment

My husband advanced that theory. I think a hole could be poked in that by inquiring as to why they drove away rather than summoning police or at least providing insurance and related info.
      "Crazy may always be open for business, but on the full moon, it has buy one get one free specials." - WishfulSpirit

"Sometimes customers remind me of zombies, but I'm pretty sure that zombies are smarter." - MelindaJoy77

Comment

Backing up, could have been a simple scam setup. Driving off... could be setting up for a 'OMG Hit and Run scam' or some possible revenge/attack on someone that was poorly targeted.

As to the leave and stay gone, cameras are NOT this guy's friend in this situation. If he saw anything that looked like he was getting his picture took during this stunt, it'd be time to abort the scam before getting caught. If the video had shown him backing up, then he's on the hook for full damages, PLUS criminal charges for endangering lives, willful destruction, etc.

Yes, this was deliberate, but as to the why... maybe the constabulary will shed some light on things later. Having plate numbers makes that easier. Good job on that.

Do keep monitoring each other as some things DO like to silently fester.

Comment

If I might suggest, get a dash cam. Don't go for a phone app; phone cameras don't have the same field of view as a proper dash cam, so they could miss something.

Quite apart from the obvious advantage of having video proof, many insurers offer a discount if you have a dash cam as it saves them time and energy in a he says/she says situation.

Also, since no-one has mentioned it yet, is there a walk-in medical centre anywhere near you? It might be worth getting checked out, since things like whiplash and muscle strains from accidents don't always show up until a day or two later.
          "It is traditional when asking for help or advice to listen to the answers you receive" - RealUnimportant

Rev that Engine Louder, I Can't Hear How Small Your Dick Is - Jay 2K Winger

The Darwin Awards The best site to visit to restore your faith in instant karma.

Comment

Could it have been a simple brain-fart? E.g., person was in park (maybe messing with their phone?), noticed they were blocking someone, went "OMG I have to move now!" and moved the lever without making sure what gear it was in before they stomped the go-pedal?

Running off could have been a panic reaction.

I'm not saying that it was, mind you, but is it possible?
            “There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old’s life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged.
            One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world.
            The other, of course, involves orcs." -- John Rogers

Comment

Quoth Nunavut Pants View Post
              Could it have been a simple brain-fart? E.g., person was in park (maybe messing with their phone?), noticed they were blocking someone, went "OMG I have to move now!" and moved the lever without making sure what gear it was in before they stomped the go-pedal?

Running off could have been a panic reaction.

I'm not saying that it was, mind you, but is it possible?
              I was thinking something similar. "La la la, waiting to turn... ugh, this is taking too long, if I go out a different exit it'll work better. Warp factor one, backwards! --OH SHIT someone was behind me I didn't look I'm not insured RUN AWAY!"

Otherwise I got nothin'.

Comment

My step dad was once hit in the same fashion. Sitting at a red light, the person in front somehow put the car in reverse and gunned it right into him. It was a sad situation. Elderly woman, confused, gets out and blames my stepdad. This was before dashcams or phones with cameras. Thankfully there were witnesses to back him up. Anyway, the driver in the OP couldn't be seen, it's possible it was an older person who legitimately had no idea what they did. If so, I hope they find them and keep them off the road.
                Replace anger management with stupidity management.

Comment

I admit, I did a brain fart like that once.

I was in California, just starting a new job, and the company was arranging a rental car for the period when I was getting settled. I even had my new boss in the car with me. We were leaving the rental lot, and for some reason (I think I felt I had pulled too far out to check for traffic), I put it into reverse and crunched into a car behind me.

Unlike the OP however, I didn't gun it out of the lot. We exchanged information and I paid for the slight damage on their car (no damage to the rental since it was all bumper; but I hit their side panel due to angles). But it was majorly embarrassing to me to say the least. (New job, fresh out of college, a Canadian in the States, etc....)

Comment

Quoth Valentinian View Post
                    I was thinking something similar. "La la la, waiting to turn... ugh, this is taking too long, if I go out a different exit it'll work better. Warp factor one, backwards! --OH SHIT someone was behind me I didn't look I'm not insured RUN AWAY!"

Otherwise I got nothin'.
                    There is no alternate exit. Otherwise plausible, IMO.

Comment

Have they found the other car yet?
                      Life is too short to not eat popcorn.
                      Save the Ales!
                      Toys for Tots at Rooster's Cafe

Comment

I had someone back into me once. I was meeting up with some friends at a bar. This bar had two parking lots -- one in the front by the building, and another lot across the street from it. I followed another car into the front lot, only to find out it was full. The guy in front of me started backing up, not realizing I was right behind him. I didn't have time to get out of his way, so I laid on the horn to try to get his attention. Unfortunately, it didn't do any good. He backed right into me.

As soon as he realized what he did, he jumped out of the car and started apologizing left and right, he didn't see me, etc. Not sure how he didn't see me or hear my horn, but at least he didn't try to run. But then he probably couldn't even if he wanted to. He gave me his insurance info, and everything was good.
                        Sometimes life is altered.
                        Break from the ropes your hands are tied.
                        Uneasy with confrontation.
                        Won't turn out right. Can't turn out right

Comment

Our insurance company has reported to DH that they have located the offender and are currently arguing the matter with their insurance company.

In other news, whoever put the target on our car needs to get it off there right the NOW!!!!

DH got rear-ended today. At least in this case, the offending driver behaved like a responsible adult and supplied insurance info along with apologies, says DH.

Comment

Working...
                          X