This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Would you like fries with that?

I hate working at McDonald's. Over the past few months, there have been relatively no SC's, but every once in a while there is a *killmenow* moment. Like these. (Warning! Extra Long!)

Me: McMinion
    SC: Moron who would rather have me commit seppuku then get his/her order wrong.
    Thoughts

Nearly every customer who comes in
    Me: WelcometoMcDonald'smayItakeyourorder?
    SC:I want a McChicken and some of those dollar-fries and...um...er...uh...*dur*
    Yes, I am on a timer, but don't worry - taking fifteen minutes will only cost me my job.

Why don't people need a liscence to reproduce?
    Male customer, late twenties/early forties accompanied by four little bratlings who immediately claim the store as their own private jungle-gym, early suppertime.
    SC: *rattles off four happy meal orders, all hamburgers grilled differently - no, wait, make that three hambergers grilled this way and a cheeseburger happy meal, all with chocolate milk. No, wait...*
    Me: And would those be for girls or boys?
    SC: *Gets a confused look on his face, looks at bratlings now climbing the furniture and screaming at the top of their lungs, back at me questioningly, then, tentatively...* All...girls?
    Well, they're your kids!

I don't have to be smart, I'm blonde.
    Female, early twenties, mid-afternoon.
    SC: I'd like a ranch snackwrap.
    Me: Alright, what kind of chicken would you like on it?
    SC:*confused* Ranch? (Answer: No.)
    Me: I'm sorry, would you like grilled chicken or crispy chicken on that?
    SC: Yes.
    Me:

Pay? Us? Pfft.
    Two teenage girls, expensive handbags, clothes and jeans. We have a soda dispenser where you pay for the cups, then fill them up with the soda they want.
    SC1: Could we just have, like, two medium cups.
    Me: *Rings it up on register* You total is -
    SC2: No, we just want them for water.
    Me: *Waves manager over to cancel the order* I'll give you cups for water... *tries to hand over courtesy cups*
    SC2: No, we want medium cups.
    *Manager and I look at each other*
    Manager: You're going to have to pay -
    SC1: Whatever. *leaves with friend*
    SC2: *Before she's even out of earshot* They're so cheap!
    What, and you aren't? Pshaw, of course you were just going to get water!

Mr. Regular
    So there's this guy who comes in three times a day Saturday and Sunday Because it is "rude" in management's view to assume an order, we have to wait and listen to this guy give the same order every time.
    SC: I'd like a grilled ranch snack wrap and a medium iced coffee, extra milk, six sugars.
    Me: Anything else? I already know the answer is going to be "no".
    SC: Nope! Whadda suh-prise...
    And the annoying part is that after he's paid (always exact change), he'll just stand there, even if there's a line. So I want to at least give him his iced coffee. But when I go to make it...
    SC: Not that much ice!
    Oh boy...
    SC: Just a little bit more milk...and a little more... and a little more...
    By now I've nearly emptied the entire bottle into his cup. How much more do you want? Only we need to order supplies at least two weeks beforehand...
    SC: More sugar!
    Okay, that's it, you're dead!
    And I always get hours on week-ends. Please, no comments from the peanut gallery! I'll give you what you have on your receipt

My friend was in drive-thru at 11:00, and he was handing an order out to a car when this yob runs up and punches him in the chest, tries to grab the bag of food, misses, runs into one of the pillars that holds up the roof over the drive-thru window, bounces off the hood of the car, and runs off. Probably one of the kids that come in every summer night without fail at 9:30 - 10:00. Because they aren't allowed to hang out in the store without buying something, they all buy a sandwich from the dollar menu, and then ask for cups of water. If J is the manager that night, we usually refuse them, but if he isn't, we're not allowed to. So when J is on, they have to satisfy themselves with smearing ketchup on the tables. And floor. And walls. (Seriously). And if he isn't the manager, then they take their free cups and proceed directly to the Mountain Dew fountain, do not pass go, do not collect $200. Sometimes, if someone stacks the ice-tea cups too high (they're foam and 16 oz and kept behind the soda dispenser, which is less than eye-level), then they decide to take one of those and fill it up. And the trash? Yeah right! Actually throwing away one's garbage is for old people!

/rant
    I wish I was old enough to drink, I really do.
    "Warning: Do not climb inside this bag and zip it up. Doing so will cause injury and death." -- A label inside a protective bag (for fragile objects), which measures 15cm by 15cm by 12cm.

Quoth Tauri.Sith View Post
    Yes, I am on a timer, but don't worry - taking fifteen minutes will only cost me my job.

Probably one of the kids that come in every summer night without fail at 9:30 - 10:00. Because they aren't allowed to hang out in the store without buying something, they all buy a sandwich from the dollar menu, and then ask for cups of water. If J is the manager that night, we usually refuse them, but if he isn't, we're not allowed to. So when J is on, they have to satisfy themselves with smearing ketchup on the tables. And floor. And walls. (Seriously). And if he isn't the manager, then they take their free cups and proceed directly to the Mountain Dew fountain, do not pass go, do not collect $200. Sometimes, if someone stacks the ice-tea cups too high (they're foam and 16 oz and kept behind the soda dispenser, which is less than eye-level), then they decide to take one of those and fill it up. And the trash? Yeah right! Actually throwing away one's garbage is for old people!
    The first situation really isn't sucky on the part of the customers but more on management and their policy. I -hate- the time tables for fast food employees. People shouldn't dawdle on the job but to be written up or fired because a customer took their time? Bad mojo, and I'm seeing it more and more. There's a drive thru employee here that speaks so quickly that the guys that read through the terms at the end of car radio commercials would be envious. Oh, and I -always- have to ask the person at the next window what the other said because it was said too dang fast, wasting both our time. Irony, I love it.

As to the second situation, I don't suppose there's a way to contact the police and have them make a surprise visit one of those nights? That's vandalism and theft, plain and simple.
    "You are the dumbest smart person I have ever met in my life!" Will Smith, 'I, Robot'.

"You LOSE! Good day, sir!" Gene Wilder, 'Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory'.

Comment

Why don't people need a liscence to reproduce?
      Male customer, late twenties/early forties accompanied by four little bratlings who immediately claim the store as their own private jungle-gym, early suppertime.
      SC: *rattles off four happy meal orders, all hamburgers grilled differently - no, wait, make that three hambergers grilled this way and a cheeseburger happy meal, all with chocolate milk. No, wait...*
      Me: And would those be for girls or boys?
      SC: *Gets a confused look on his face, looks at bratlings now climbing the furniture and screaming at the top of their lungs, back at me questioningly, then, tentatively...* All...girls?
      Well, they're your kids!
      Ah, boy do I hate that. The kids who pull that at my store aren't that bad (if only because the ketchup dispensers are, praise be, out of their reach) but getting to sit behind the counter watching the parents yak on their cell phones while the kids get experimental with salt and pepper is ah...unpleasant.

Also a major at the gender moment there. One would think this would be the EASIEST question he'd been asked that day!

My friend was in drive-thru at 11:00, and he was handing an order out to a car when this yob runs up and punches him in the chest, tries to grab the bag of food, misses, runs into one of the pillars that holds up the roof over the drive-thru window, bounces off the hood of the car, and runs off. Probably one of the kids that come in every summer night without fail at 9:30 - 10:00. Because they aren't allowed to hang out in the store without buying something, they all buy a sandwich from the dollar menu, and then ask for cups of water. If J is the manager that night, we usually refuse them, but if he isn't, we're not allowed to. So when J is on, they have to satisfy themselves with smearing ketchup on the tables. And floor. And walls. (Seriously). And if he isn't the manager, then they take their free cups and proceed directly to the Mountain Dew fountain, do not pass go, do not collect $200. Sometimes, if someone stacks the ice-tea cups too high (they're foam and 16 oz and kept behind the soda dispenser, which is less than eye-level), then they decide to take one of those and fill it up. And the trash? Yeah right! Actually throwing away one's garbage is for old people!

/rant
      I wish I was old enough to drink, I really do.
      Good lord, I think you win the gold medal for dealing with crap there...Would it be possible for you to alert the local authorities to the fact that these tweenies are consistently damaging your property, or something along those lines? Kids like that are the reason I'm grateful Wendy's still keeps soda dispensers behind the counters. They're also the reason I'm grateful I just got my black belt and my genes got me to 6'5"

oh and welcome to
      Your true character is who you are when no one is looking.
      --Unknown

Comment

Male customer, late twenties/early forties
        Really? Got something against my age bracket, do ya?

Well, they're your kids!
        I suspect this was a case of him thinking "Well d'uh, stupid McDonalds server, isn't it OBVIOUS?" You can never tell with other people's kids and should never ever assume, but some people seem to think their kid's gender is obvious and you're a complete dolt for not making the assumption their way.

You can't win. Assume they were meals for girls and he'd have complained his long-haired little darling BOYS didn't like Barbie.

Comment

My friend was in drive-thru at 11:00, and he was handing an order out to a car when this yob runs up and punches him in the chest, tries to grab the bag of food, misses, runs into one of the pillars that holds up the roof over the drive-thru window, bounces off the hood of the car, and runs off.
          Dude, that needs to be on Youtube.

I am sorry your coworker got punched.

When does this timer on ordering start? I will often drift into a store and take forever to figure out what I want before getting in line and ordering. PLease tell me this isn't holding you up- if teh store is empty we tend to get greeted before I start grumping my way thru teh menu.

Comment

As a former MickyD's employee myself in my teen years, I feel for you. Your drive-thru "accident" reminded me of an occasion where one of my coworkers was working and an older lady gave her order and was proceeding to the window, when she realized she'd forgotten to order something, so she threw her car in reverse and gunned the engine, apparently to return to the order board, but didn't bother to look BEHIND her where somebody was already giving THEIR order. She completely totalled the front of a little honda civic and we had to wait for a tow truck to get it out - which wasn't easy going around the tight corners we had there.

Most of the time I didn't have to deal with many SC's. The biggest problem I had, was being that I'm deaf, (I speech-read, and wore a little tag that mentioned my deafness and requested people speak clearly,) I would read back an customer's order to ensure I had gotten everything correctly and hadn't missed anything. 9 times out of 10 they'd say I had everything right. Then when I started assembling their meal it would be "I didn't ask for that, that's not right, you mixed up that.." Well then why did you say everything was correct when I READ BACK YOUR ORDER??? Geeez.

Then there was the guy who threw a cup of coke at me, soaking me from head to toe because I got him a large coke instead of a "large cone." Easily remedied (after all coke and cone look almost identical) but I HAD confirmed it by saying "One large Coca-cola, correct?" before going to get it. I guess people who are hungry can't be expected to listen.
            The large print giveth, and the small print taketh away.

Comment

Quoth One-Fang View Post
              Assume they were meals for girls and he'd have complained his long-haired little darling BOYS didn't like Barbie.
              Hey! I had long hair when I worked for McD's (for a short time... then I realized it was way too hot in the fryer area to keep it like that) and I would've bought a kid's meal just for the Barbie toy I ended up buying, if we didn't sell the toys separately.
              "I call murder on that!"

Comment

Quoth Juwl View Post
                Hey! I had long hair when I worked for McD's (for a short time... then I realized it was way too hot in the fryer area to keep it like that) and I would've bought a kid's meal just for the Barbie toy I ended up buying, if we didn't sell the toys separately.
                I always want the boys toys: Hot Wheels and Bionicles are my faves.
                Labor boards have info on local laws for free
                HR believes the first person in the door
                Learn how to go over whackamole bosses' heads safely
                Document everything
                CS proves Dunning-Kruger effect

Comment

I always got the boys toys because my grandmother taking me to get an old fashioned Depression era hair cut (aka, pretty much a bowl cut).......what "all the young ladies have"...errr...had...in 1929...

I don't want to say anymore. Bad memories.
                  You really need to see a neurologist. - Wagegoth

Comment

Quoth blas87 View Post
                    I always got the boys toys because my grandmother taking me to get an old fashioned Depression era hair cut (aka, pretty much a bowl cut).......what "all the young ladies have"...errr...had...in 1929...

I don't want to say anymore. Bad memories.
                    They did that to you too?

*shudders*
                    Let it go... Daisy, let it go... Open up your fist
                    This fallen world... Doesn't hold your interest...
                    Doesn't hold your soul... Daisy, let it go
                    -Switchfoot

Comment

They sure did. Now I never allow my hair to be shorter than shoulder length.
                      You really need to see a neurologist. - Wagegoth

Comment

I am also a former Macca's employee from my teen years. It was good experience to start out with, although I didn't develop the revoltion to the food that so many of them do. I can't resist a Big Mac every once in a while.

But the worst part was the people who tried to scam you with a cheeseburger that had 2 bites left and supposedly found a hair that was remarkably similar to theirs but not to any one who was working.

Mind you I was never management but they never got any further than me with their complaints I always brushed them off.

The worst part was at one store the manager there wanted 30 second service for a store that was allowed the limit of 60 second service. The times placed on us were ridiculous especially with mystery shoppers, they were never meant to be in line for more than 2 minutes and their service was to be under 60 seconds. And the timing for the 60 seconds starts as soon as they reach the counter and start giving their order.
                        Am I sad because I am looking forward to the day when the people I will be dealing with will no longer be able to talk back?

Comment

I hate working at McDonald's. Over the past few months, there have been relatively no SC's, but every once in a while there is a *killmenow* moment. Like these. (Warning! Extra Long!)

Me: McMinion
                          SC: Moron who would rather have me commit seppuku then get his/her order wrong.
                          Thoughts

Hey, fellow Bay-Stater.

And this just reminded me of this John Pinette act.

Comment

Unless I have to in order to survive, I will never work in Fast Food ever again! I worked at Burger King for my first job and I got so bitter I started having fantasies about throwing burgers in people's faces and then laughing evilly. (is that a word?)

Comment

To be fair, a lot of people don't know that you're on a timer.
                              Unseen but seeing
                              oh dear, now they're masquerading as sane-KiaKat
                              There isn't enough interpretive dance in the workplace these days-Irv
                              3rd shift needs love, too
                              RIP, mo bhrionglóid

Comment

Working...
                              X