X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cure For Cancer

Card that is!

I have worked various Customer Service positions throughout my years. I can handle EW's and other douchewaffles (fav term), but I despise the customonster that dares to bear the "cancer" card in any forms. I have absolutely no sympathy for the people that think it is some kind of exclusive membership that entitles them to have the world at their feet. Yes I understand their pain, probably more so, and in terms they would not be comfortable to have to live with.

so now here's the emotional part.

I lost my mom when I was 18. I was never close to my stepfather, so losing my mom was literally like losing a significant part of myself. I will try to make this as concise as possible, but it was a long and gruelling emotional roller coaster. Mom was first diagnosed with lung cancer, however it was operable, and it appeared as though she would pull through, especially with chemo and other follow up. 1 week before surgery, she admitted herself to the ER due to severe abdominal pains. 2 days after that, we learn from the oncologist that Mom has terminal Pancreatic Cancer. No treatment will help. 80% survival hopes went to 100% death in the space of 10 seconds. Now you should all know the rule of 3 with survival; You will die if you go 3 minutes without air, 3 days without water, or 3 weeks without food. Pancreatic cancer means you will not be able to eat. and if you can keep something down for more than 30 seconds, it still does not digest. Somehow mom was a fighter, and made it to 4 months, before the starvation finally took her. In life, she was 5'6 and 132 lbs. When I carried her to the hospital, I could do so with one hand, as she weighed 32 lbs. I have a Picture of her that day still in my wallet. I might be the only one who can still see that vibrant woman in the picture...

So any customers who have tried to play the card usually get educated rather quickly what a bad idea that is. Cancer is never pretty. and the climax to my arguement is to show that last picture of my mom and show that my mom had to endure was far worse than most people's experiences, and those that have equaled it, have become among my best of friends.

I wanted Mom's last wishes to be fulfilled, but I didn't sell out her good name, just to get a deal on something. In fact, we ended up getting discounts and comps, after people learned about our trips. There is plenty of compassion out there, however most people that get it don't use the disease as a form of currency.

So remember that my friends. Share this story if it will help. Hell, you can probably see a cancer death within your family somewhere. It's not like the cancer card dealers are the only people who have ever played.
    Windows Operating System is an oxymoron."

Oh, You want instant Gratification? Go f*ck yourself then!
    I found the problem. /dev/clue was linked to /dev/null

Let me say, first of all, how sorry I am for your loss, and all that you had to go through. Your post struck a particular note with me today, because I just found out this morning that a friend passed away yesterday from pancreatic cancer. She was given the prognosis in March. She got to go camping with us last weekend, and I just found out today that she had actually been sick all last weekend, but she didn't want any of us, or her husband to know. She gave him one last weekend of fun with friends & his wife before she passed.

We got a lot of pictures, and it truly will be a weekend to remember.

The ones that pull the cancer card are the ones who usually have no real understanding of the significance of this disease.
    That is so full of suck Dyson doesn't know how they did it - shankyknitter

Comment

Quoth Sonoma View Post
      The ones that pull the cancer card are the ones who usually have no real understanding of the significance of this disease.
      'nuff said. and thank you for your thoughts.

Comment

I'm so sorry for your loss. Cancer is horrible, and losing loved ones to it really sucks. My aunt O (mom's cousin) died at 43 (on Christmas Day) from breast cancer (bear in mind she lived overseas) and the scary and ironic thing was that aunt O's mom died from the same thing around the same age as her daughter back in the 1970's (long before I was thought of). My mom and aunt O were close and had a sister-like relationship and my mom went through tons of emotional roller coasters from the day she got word about aunt O's diagnosis to the day she got word that aunt O wouldn't have long to live. When we got news about aunt O's passing, my mom was like a zombie, but the night of the funeral was when she did shed some tears. There wasn't a dry eye during the funeral and for the last 4 1/2 years, my mom has this picture of aunt O (during her good days)and the little prayer bookmark from the funeral sitting in the wall unit cabinet in the living room. I hate when people pull that cancer card!! Families that have a loved one or two with cancer could care less about discounts, they care more about spending whatever borrowed time they have with their loved ones with cancer until their final days.
        I don't get paid enough to kiss your a**! -Groezig 5/31/08
        Another day...another million braincells lost...-Sarlon 6/16/08
        Chivalry is not dead. It's just direly underappreciated. -Samaliel 9/15/09

Comment

I have not one but TWO relatives suffering from what your mom had right now and let me tell you, it's hard (I may not even get to see one of them ever again because she is in another country and I might end up not having time or money to travel).

It's sad to me that because of stupid heartless fucks who play the cancer card, businesses automatically become suspicious of ANYONE making a cancer claim. I hope those douches burn in Hell for making life hard for the rest of us.
          "If we refund your money, give you a free replacement and shoot the manager, then will you be happy?" - sign seen in a restaurant

Comment

I'm sorry for your loss.

We lost my paternal grandmother to pancreatic cancer.
            Everything sucks. I must be living in a vacuum.

Comment

I'm so sorry for your loss

I don't think I've ever known anyone with pancreatic cancer. However, my grandpa died on Valentine's Day of leukemia when I was 7. He was more of a dad than a grandpa to me, though. He and my grandma used to babysit me all the time when my parents were working, I'd go on trips with them, etc. I spent more time with them than I did with my parents. I didn't get to see him before he died, as he died while on vacation with my grandma in Florida. He didn't even know he had leukemia until he was there.

I can't imagine what it would be like to actually see someone go through so much suffering. I'm relatively glad that he passed quickly since he didn't have to go through a lot of pain, though it would've been nice to have seen him again before he died.

Comment

Wow. I haven't even made it through all the replies, but thank you all for your warm thoughts. "sorry's" and such are not really needed, as I have been able to move on and such. But the main point in all this was proven. These Cancer Card players are not special. We ALL have our own stories of heartbreak, and loss.

Comment

Like the others, I am sorry for your loss. I lost my Mom to small cell lung cancer in 1998. We were very close and it's been a tough 10 years without her. I was Dx with brain cancer in June 2007. My intial prognosis was 6-9 months survival but I surprised everyone by responding well to chemo and 14 months later I am still kicking.

Having said that though, I would never use my disease to "get" anything. People that do that suck.

Comment

You have my condolences as well. I've lost both my grandmothers to cancer, one to leukemia, the other to a brain tumor.

I still have fond memories of my maternal grandmother, as the last time I saw her alive, she and my grandfather had been visiting us. She had to have been sick while she was with us, but she never let on. Not even a week after they'd gotten home, we got word she had leukemia. She died a few weeks later after complications following some treatment.

My paternal grandmother, Mamo, we called her, was always very healthy in life. She took good care of herself and my grandfather, and was sharp as a tack. (Also very strict at times, which I think was a combination of her "New England Yankee" heritage and her being raised as a Christian Scientist, or at least that's the theory my father's given me.) When I found out she had a brain tumor (an inoperable one, at that), I was shocked.

I was more shocked later when we paid her a visit (my last time seeing her alive), and found her less cognizant of where she was, slow to respond to questions, and just generally looking far less healthy than I EVER remembered seeing her.

I haven't ever had someone play the "cancer card" at my job, but rest assured, if they ever do, they're not getting past me.
                    PWNADE(TM) - Serve up a glass today! | PWNZER - An act of pwnage so awesome, it's like the victim got hit by a tank.

There are only Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse because I choose to walk!

Comment

My dad.

This year.

June 15th, to be exact.

He was 78.

He was the kind of guy would give you a break/deal/discount/help you out of the goodness of his heart, but if you demanded a deal or something like that he'd cuff you on the ear and kick you out the door.

He also taught me that you treat others with respect unless they disrespect you. You treat working people with respect because they are doing what they have to do to get by.
                      "Kamala the Ugandan Giant" 1950-2020 • "Bullet" Bob Armstrong 1939-2020 • "Road Warrior Animal" 1960-2020 • "Zeus" Tiny Lister Jr. 1958-2020 • "Hacksaw" Butch Reed 1954-2021 • "New Jack" Jerome Young 1963-2021 • "Mr. Wonderful" Paul Orndorff 1949-2021 • "Beautiful" Bobby Eaton 1958-2021 • Daffney 1975-2021

Comment

agreed, I had lost my mother to cancer recently (a few months ago) so I know how you feel in that regard

but even before that, if anyone used the cancer card to shake someone down, I would probably throw up on them in disgust (not on purpose, just the sheer thought of it makes me very ill) why do people think any problem is a reason to get money or discounts or something for free? What put that idea into their heads in the first place? I would love to know mainly to try and fix the problem, but knowing my luck its just human nature at work
                        http://dragcave.net/user/LadyMage

Comment

My maternal grandmother died in May of stomach cancer, won't know what exactly since she was diagnosed clearly with end stage. She told my oldest sister that when she died, don't put your life on hold because she died. Just continue on with our lives like nothing happened.

My paternal grandmother died in June of a heart attack with lung and brain cancer both in first stage not helping. As my other grandmother died just a few days before she was schudeled to start cancer treatment, she took a turn for the worse and had to be moved down here where there's a bigger cancer center. She told my father to not even think about going to pick her up, worry about my mother first.

Kudos to several members of both families to come to both funerals in support for us, several of whom don't even know the grandmother who died.

I know neither of them would even try to use their cancer as a way to get stuff for free or at a lower price.

Comment

A friend of mine died this afternoon, of liver cancer. If anyone tries to play the cancer card on me anytime soon, I'm going to jail . . .

Comment

Working...
                            X