This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is it really too hard to understand?

So on the Service side of our building, we have a ticket queue machine, where you must wait for your ticket to be called to be served.

However, the system is a bit more complex than the ticket system of let's say, a grocery store deli, where they call in ascending order: 1 - 99 or so.

Our system provides a letter along with a number. The letter only serves to vaguely inform us of what the customer is there for. If a customer chooses a Phone Issue as the reason for their visit, their letter will be A. Billing issues begin with B. Accessory Purchases - C. Payments - D.

Each letter has its own block of numbers:
    "A" has 001 - 100
    "B" has 101 - 200
    "C" has 201 - 300
    and "D" has 301 - 400.

However, despite its complexity, the system draws in a first come, first serve basis. First in, first out.

Are you with me!

Now if you've worked a day in a retail or direct customer service environment, you already know this is way too complex for most customers to understand. I don't go thirty minutes without a "Why is C being called before A?" "I was here before they were!" "104 is before 207! I demand to be served before them!"

I understand how the letter may confuse people. After all, for a normal system, the number would come into play for when the counter must reset from 99 back to 1. But I digress.

I make this announcement frequently when I have too many customer misunderstandings:

"Folks, the system draws tickets on a first come, first serve basis. The letter you have is for our reference only, and has nothing to do with the order in which you are called. HOWEVER, IF we draw a ticket with your letter, and the number we call is GREATER than the number you have, then yes, you missed your turn and you must open another ticket. For example, if the next ticket I call is B 167 and your ticket says B 166, then your ticket is no longer in queue since it has already been called."

Is my announcement too difficult to comprehend? Because the reactions from my audience varies from, "I don't understand what first come, first serve is," or "BUT I HAVE THE LETTER "B" AND YOU JUST CALLED A "D"?

Which is where I think to myself, "Did I just speak a foreign language?"

I got into an argument with a lady who realized her turn had been forfeited since she didn't show up once called. She admitted she was across the street at the corner store to buy some things while she waited, but "you all should give vibrating pagers or something to let people know it is their turn."

Meanwhile, it isn't uncommon to have upwards of 50 tickets in queue, with an average wait time of 1 1/2 to 2 1/2 hours.

Yeah, like that will happen. Money grows on trees, you know.

I did, however, manipulate the system so the time and date is printed on the ticket, for anyone who wants to fight me regarding first come, first serve. Bring it on.
Working...
X