Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I'm Probably Jinxing Myself, But Possible New Work On The Horizon...

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I'm Probably Jinxing Myself, But Possible New Work On The Horizon...

No, I have no current plans of leaving my three jobs. (Bartending full time, doing magic at two different places one day a week.) However, one of the women that works at the restaurant I do magic at also happens to work for a local radio station and the local low budget tv station. (Major media here comes from the Miami stations...the Key West station is basically just slightly above cable access level, focusing on local news for locals, as opposed to the tourist news station that focuses on touristy stuff for, well, tourists.)

A couple of weeks ago she asked if I'd like to be on a local tv show, do a quick spot about my magic. I told her I'd think about it. It might be nice to get a little exposure for my "other" job. And I'll admit it, I'm an attention whore. (What entertainer isn't?) But it's nothing that has me so excited that I'm pogo sticking down Duval Street.

However, today something else came to light that has me excited, because it involves something I've wanted to do, my education being put to use, and actual money being paid to me.

As many of you may know, I was a broadcasting major at Arizona State. I have DJ'd for a mobile DJ service and at a couple bars, but honestly, I have no major desire to go into broadcasting any more. I love bartending, and believe my future is in that and, in the future, perhaps something related to it.

But one thing I never did that I always wanted to do was voice overs. I possess, I have been told, an excellent voice for such things (it would be falsely modest to say the people who have told me this were wrong), and it would be nice to make some extra scratch at something I am good at and trained for. Well, this same woman and I were talking, and she told me she could very much use me for voiceovers for commercials and such, AND that such work DOES pay. (Always a bonus, after all.) And another great thing is that they can totally work around my schedule, as they don't just do such things during the weekdays, which is good, as I work all five weekdays.

So we exchanged numbers, and I hope to hear from her. Since she enjoys my company and my act (I did some magic for her and some of the other staff tonight, as I often do in down times), and agreed that I have the voice for it, I don't think this hope is that unwarranted. Unlike most of my recent romantic "prospects," I think this one may actually call me.

So, while it's still too early to break out that pogo stick, I am cautiously excited about this.

Four jobs? Hell, why not...it's the Key West way!

"The Customer Is Always Right...But The Bartender Decides Who Is
    Still A Customer."

That is awesome, and daunting at the same time. Four jobs? Props to you man.
    By popular request....I am now officially the Enemy of Normalcy.

"What is unobtainium? To Seraph, it's a normal client. :P" -- Observant Friend

Comment

You do have an excellent voice. You could totally rock that!
      "And so all the night-tide, I lie down by the side of my darling, my darling, my life and my bride!"
      "Hallo elskan min/Trui ekki hvad timinn lidur"
      Amayis is my wifey

Comment

Good luck!

Comment

That is awesome news! Best of luck!
          Don't wanna; not gonna.

Comment

Awesome! Hope you get it.

As a fellow workaholic, it's not so bad having a full time gig and a bunch of part time ones.

Mad money is always welcome, and if it turns out to be something more so much the better
            They say that God only gives us what we can handle. Apparently, God thinks I'm a bad ass.

Comment

Mad money is good. But I just decided as I read that comment of yours that the money would not be mad money. I just decided, on the fly, that the money from the first spot would be mad money, to blow however I wanted to (at either the bars or on an iPod), and the money from every other gig after that, if there were more, would go straight into my slowly but surely growing savings account.

Gotta get money if I'm gonna go to Oktoberfest!

"The Customer Is Always Right...But The Bartender Decides Who Is
              Still A Customer."

Comment

Good luck with this! I think you would do well at both things
                https://www.youtube.com/user/HedgeTV
                Great YouTube channel check it out!

Comment

Working...
                X