This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• You got over that real quick

My mother is a nurse. She works in a residential place that's a kind of temporary halfway house near the hospital. People go there when they're depressed, or need to have their meds monitored very closely. But no one is ordered to be there and no one can be held there like on a full psych ward.

Because she works nights, my mom rarely gets a phone calls from people trying to get a room. Usually they just want to talk, other times they're looking for free room and board.

Let me first get this out of the way. My mother NEVER tells me anything she's not supposed to. This is just from a general work related conversation about the kinds of people we deal with in the course of events.

So she gets this call that starts out like this.

Caller: I'm feeling suicidal.

That in and of itself doesn't warrant an ambulance. My mother talked to the caller and after awhile the caller said they were feeling okay but that they would still like a room.

Mom: No, I'm sorry. The ambulance would only take you to the hospital and you just told me you were feeling better

Caller: Oh, but now I'm feeling homicidal.

Mom: Okay, well let me know where you are and I'll give the police a call.

Caller: No, no, it's fine! click
    Don't waste time trying to convince someone that the sky is blue.

Was that person playing a game?
    Customers should always be served . . . to the nearest great white.

Comment

No, I think they were just trying to get a bed. A lot of people see this place as a free bed and breakfast and they'll say anything to try to get in there.

Thing is, if they really needed to be there, they'd either be referred there by their doctor or in some cases, brought there by a police officer.

Comment

I thought you were an ER at first and was wondering why he didn't just say he had chest pains...
        My Guide to Oblivion

"I resent the implication that I've gone mad, Sprocket."

Comment

Our hospital's ER gets some gems too, I'm sure.

Sometimes I go up there to use their wifi. I buy a coffee or something so I'm not just there. There's a guy who is homeless but his mental health issues keep him from being able to stay at the local shelter.

He's a bit creepy but they let him sleep in the emergency room's waiting area, if for no other reason than if the worst case scenario happened he wouldn't be far from help.

Comment

Working...
          X