This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• You're gonna pay for that!!

Last week, we received a service ticket from the company's facilities department notifying us that a copier was down. A quick check of the remote monitor showed the copier was not responding. Usually, this means it's either powered down or has lost its connection to the network for some reason.

So I headed on over there, and upon walking into the copy room, I saw three giant red flags

-The copier was shut down with a (sloppily) handwritten note taped to it that oh-so-helpfully said "Broken"

-The side door was hanging open, and most worrisome of all...

-A freaking broken gear was lying on top of the machine.

Well....this is going to be a service call. I have neither the parts nor the training to fix this. I went to close the side panel and....wait...what the hell?! The door won't close!!

Ugh...son of a!!!! Whoever did this broke the machine so badly that the damn panel wouldn't latch shut.

*Siiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiigh..............*

A service call was placed, and the technician determined that not only did they break that gear, they also broke the SHAFT the gear was mounted to.

This shaft is replaceable, but it's part of the machine's support frame, and as such is NOT considered a wear item and is NOT covered under the service contract.

Oh yes, this is a BILLABLE REPAIR!!!

Honestly, I have no idea how the hell they managed to do this. This particular machine has a short, compact paper path, and opening that side panel exposes about 90% of it. Any jam they might've been trying to clear should've been easily accessible. On larger production machines that have longer more convoluted paper paths, it's possible to cause damage when clearing jams if you aren't careful. But these are meant to be easy to use.

We're still waiting back on the cost estimate but the customer will have to pay for that one. Our contact was rightly pissed off that some asshole did this.

Unfortunately, we may never know who the culprit was.
    Last edited by Dave1982; 08-22-2019, 08:26 PM. Reason: typos
    "We guard the souls in heaven; we don't horse-trade them!" Samandrial in Supernatural

RIP Plaidman.

Boss

Look for the stupid overbearing boss who think he can do no wrong.

I had a call about a printer with a stuck label inside, and I just happen to be working on the exact same model of printer in front of me. She was going to use a letter opener to try and scrap the label off but I told her no and I would help her step by step.

So as I opened and took it apart the printer while I talked to the secretary on the phone and she did the same things I did. She remove the label, used a little nail polish remover to get the glue, assembled the printer and it worked fine.

Then she called after 1 PM, it seem she went to lunch and her impatient boss tried to do some printing, got a label stuck, and guess what he did, yes went straight to the letter opener and ruined the printer rollers. now he claims the printer is junk instead of admitting a letter opener is not a printer repair tool.
    Last edited by earl colby pottinger; 08-22-2019, 02:50 PM.

Comment

$1100 to replace the shaft.
      "We guard the souls in heaven; we don't horse-trade them!" Samandrial in Supernatural

RIP Plaidman.

Comment

And how much to replace the printer?
        Life is too short to not eat popcorn.
        Save the Ales!
        Toys for Tots at Rooster's Cafe

Comment

Quoth Dave1982 View Post
          $1100 to replace the shaft.
          Does that include the labor? Please tell me it doesn't.

Comment

I was the only person who ever changed the toner at one of my previous jobs, because I was also the only person who read and followed instructions. And then I went on two weeks holiday.

Apparently the toner in our biggest, oldest, fastest bulk-run collating photocopier ran out about two days after I left, and I came back to find a scrawled sign saying “broken” on top of it. Several people casually wandered past my desk that morning to let me know that it was broken, and ask when I thought it would be fixed. Had any of these concerned citizens called the service number that was helpfully posted on the wall above that very photocopier? Of course not!

So I go to have a look, because if it’s just a paper jam or similar I can fix it. It is not a paper jam.

Some bright spark had tried to change the toner. Instead of following the helpful diagrams on top of the toner box, or the even more helpful diagrams inside the access door on the side of the photocopier, they had apparently opened the access door and started yanking on random things. They’d pulled out the fuser drum... and dropped it... and then picked up the SHATTERED drum, shoved it back into place, shut the access door and fucked off without telling anyone.

It was a very expensive repair, and the service guy had to order parts, which took another three weeks. I told everyone what had happened, in sarcastic detail, and I hope whoever did it was SQUIRMING.

Comment

Dunno if that includes the labor.

It's a multifunction floor copier. I don't know how much they cost outright, but it's at least five figures.
              Last edited by Dave1982; 08-22-2019, 12:55 AM.

RIP Plaidman.

Comment

A copier will run from $4000 for a small, slow unit to well over $100,000 for the biggest and fastest near production type copiers. That said, most standard copiers you will see are in the $6000-$9000 new. A refurbished copier will run 50-75% of new pricing.

Comment

Toner

Quoth Valentinian View Post
                  I was the only person who ever changed the toner at one of my previous jobs, because I was also the only person who read and followed instructions. And then I went on two weeks holiday.
                  At the time this happens service calls had a minimal charge of $120 plus taxes. Got a call from an "IMPORTANT" secretary that the laser printer was out of toner, and she was too important to stay on the phone and have me talk her on how to change the toner for free.

She demanded a service call. I told her the costs. She approved.

I arrived and the new toner was in it's box in-front of the printer, 5 minutes work unpacking, switching toner and test printing and I was done. My paperwork gives both time I arrived and time I finished the job. The secretary was beside herself since she now had to explain to her boss why she demanded such an expensive service call for something so simple.

Not my problem.

Comment

I used to have a dedicated laser printer at my previous job, and I had to guard that thing with my life, as people kept trying to take it away from me. Got this one military officer in my cubicle once who wanted to know what my job was to warrant me getting my own high-speed printer, and at that moment I heard a click and the printer started spewing forth a large transmission of printing jobs from the contract medical transcription company who was typing our medical record documents. When I refilled the printer with two reams of paper I told the officer, "That's why."

Comment

Damn I wonder what it would have cost to fix something, back in the day, such as an IBM 3800 laser printer. If memory servers that machine could rip through a 8 foot cylinder of print media in no time
                      I'm lost without a paddle and headed up SH*T creek.
                      -- Life Sucks Then You Die.

"I'll believe corp. are people when Texas executes one."

Comment

Quoth earl colby pottinger View Post
                        The secretary was beside herself since she now had to explain to her boss why she demanded such an expensive service call for something so simple.

Not my problem.
                        Well, as the prior tales made clear, a service call isn't nearly as expensive as having an aggressive technophobe attack the problemmachine.

Comment

A month or so ago, the PDF multi-media printer closest to me stopped printing. I did some basic trouble shooting and found that a co-worker had pulled out the toner cartridge and managed to jam it back in all kittywampus. When I couldn't get it out by pulling on it, I stopped trying because I didn't want to further damage the PDF and/or wear a container of toner. When I called it in, I mentioned that said co-worker was always rather enthusiastic in her actions. *

Service guy was there a few days later, managed to get the cartridge out, repair the slide thingy that got bent and had it working again. As I was signing off on the work order, he told me that from now on, "rather enthusiastic in their actions" was the tech folks new code phrase for "dumbass".

*she didn't get pushed under a bus, names were never mentioned and my co-workers were mostly female, so using gender wasn't a give-away.
                          Last edited by Slave to the Phone; 08-25-2019, 09:27 PM.

Comment

Working...
                          X