This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Speaking of over-packaging ...

Here in Canada you can buy milk in plastic bags. You get 3 plastic bags of milk put together in one enclosing plastic bag.

I've had quite a few people buying one of those enclosing bags ... and request a shopping bag to put it in.

So you have milk in plastic bags, and those plastic bags in a plastic bag, and that plastic bag in a plastic bag ...

And in many places, plastic bags are not recyclable.

C'mon, people ... unless you have arthritis or something similar, just carry the damn enclosing plastic bag to your car.

I emphasized they're buying one enclosing bag because I've also had other people buy the maximum allowed (four the enclosing plastic bags) and turn down the offer of a store shopping bag.
    Customer service: More efficient than a Dementor's kiss
    ~ Mr Hero

Have you seen how the military packages a 1/4 watt 5% resistor? (about the size of medium ant with 1.5" wires on each end)

It's damn near bigger than a breadbox... for each one! (think pack of cigarettes)
    I am not an a**hole. I am a hemorrhoid. I irritate a**holes!
    Procrastination: Forward planning to insure there is something to do tomorrow.
    Derails threads faster than a pocket nuke.

Comment

Medical supplies of almost any variety, be it pills or a tool, ALL of them come shipped in one of two formats - put in a ridiculously oversized box and all the empty space filled with air bubble stuff, or wedged into a box that somebody thinks is larger than it is, and all the other space filled with other things we are buying, some of which will be deformed because somebody can't judge space available vs. space taken.

Comment

Quoth Minflick View Post
        ... some of which will be deformed because somebody can't judge space available vs. space taken.
        Trash Compactor Appreciation Week.
        Good for more than disposal!

Comment

Quoth dalesys View Post
          Have you seen how the military packages a 1/4 watt 5% resistor? (about the size of medium ant with 1.5" wires on each end)

It's damn near bigger than a breadbox... for each one! (think pack of cigarettes)
          YEP!

Got a 5"x5" circuit card in a 2'x2' wood crate once.
          AkaiKitsune
          Sarcasm dear, sarcasm. I’m well aware that dealing with civilians in any capacity will skin your faith in humanity alive, then pickle anything that remains so as to watch it shrivel up into an immortal husk thus reminding you of how dead inside you now are.

Comment

Haha, sometimes at my work when machines or parts get delivered it comes in a giant wooden box. I always want to go open it, because in the movies it would be like, an Egyptian relic or something. Apparently people fight over who gets to keep the crate because of how sturdy they are.

And as always, if people want a bag here, it will be paper and it will cost $.05.
            Replace anger management with stupidity management.

Comment

I adopted a 16" x 16" wood crate (nice sturdy pine with brass hardware, I think it originally held the giant wine display bottles) from work, and that same day mom happened to get a yarn shipment. I carefully opened her package, placed the single ball of yarn in its packing in the dead center of the crate with much surplus bubble wrap, wrapped the entire crate with brown paper and reapplied the shipping label so that it looked like the original box.

I think I had to get myself to work (in the snow) for a week after that, but it was worth it.
              "I am quite confident that I do exist."
              "Excuse me, I'm making perfect sense. You're just not keeping up." The Doctor

Comment

My dad's told me a story of one of the major international car manufacturers (think BIG '3') who would use a full shipping container to ship 1 bolt overseas.
                Just sliding down the razor blade of life.

Comment

One of our vendors ships potato chips in their branded case (with packing peanuts between the chip bags)...that itself is in an even bigger box with more packing peanuts. Typically those--no more than 4--come on their very own pallet as well.

Needless to say the peanuts get everywhere...J can always tell to the minute when that shipment showed up as whoever drew the short straw to unpack it is trailing foam peanuts through the store for a good hour. Not only do they stick to us, but any other products in the immediate vicinity.

Comment

And more on this subject: my brother's birthday is coming up (in 4 days, to be exact, so the gifts will not get there on time ... nothing new, LOL).

I had ordered a tie for him from his university. It showed up in a nice little gift box ... which in turn was tucked into a FedEx box that is ALMOST the size of the average TV tray (you remember those, right?)

I have half a mind to wrap the tie, put it back in the FedEx box, and send it off like that ... however, I pretty much destroyed the box trying to get the smaller box out of it.
                    Customer service: More efficient than a Dementor's kiss
                    ~ Mr Hero

Comment

Quoth Pixelated View Post
                      And more on this subject: my brother's birthday is coming up (in 4 days, to be exact, so the gifts will not get there on time ... nothing new, LOL).

I had ordered a tie for him from his university. It showed up in a nice little gift box ... which in turn was tucked into a FedEx box that is ALMOST the size of the average TV tray (you remember those, right?)
                      Well, you could add to the gift... say, a nice selection of nesting gift boxes!

Comment

I once ordered a fabric pen loop (the kind that sticks onto the cover of a notebook) from Amazon and it arrived in a shipping box the size of my computer tower with one lone air pillow as cushioning.

Comment

Years ago our daughter did something stupid and got her Game Boy (B&W screen that alone should tell you how long ago) taken away for like 2 months.

now ExDW and I schemed at how to give it back to her. we came up with this.

We took each game (she had like 10) and wrapped them up individually
                          We took the game unit and wrapped it up by itself
                          We took each of the batteries and wrapped them individually
                          WE took the connector cable and wrapped that serperately

We then put some of these and put them into a box, taped that shut
                          Ditto with the rest of the wrapped stuff

We then took those two boxes and put them into another box, taped that shut and wrapped it in Xmas Paper.

DD Couldn't really cuss at us since at Xmas we were at Grandma's but got lots of death glares (Yes I have pics) and we did get cussed out on the way home.

It still is a nice story that gets trotted out on occasion
                          I'm lost without a paddle and headed up SH*T creek.
                          -- Life Sucks Then You Die.

"I'll believe corp. are people when Texas executes one."

Comment

This whole thread evokes The Velvet Underground's track, "The Gift"...

... wherein a lovesick guy mails himself to his girlfriend in Wisconsin ...

... who, frustrated at being unable to open the box, stabs the shit out of it.

Comment

I was just listening to that last week....
                              “There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old’s life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged.
                              One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world.
                              The other, of course, involves orcs." -- John Rogers

Comment

Working...
                              X