Go Back   Customers Suck! > The Heart of the Site > General Work Chat

Old 05-29-2018, 05:40 PM
Seasonal Tax Preparer

Quote:
Quoth Minflick View Post
My father drank himself out of every good job he ever had.
Sounds like my ex-gf....only it was crack cocaine in her case. This was the pattern since she discovered that

Who is John Galt?
-Ayn Rand, Atlas Shrugged

Old 05-29-2018, 08:00 PM
Assistant Manager

Quote:
Quoth Deserted View Post
I ordered Sambuca at a pub in the middle east, expecting a finger-size glass... nope, they brought a beer mug full of the stuff,

For the thread: Different people have different "drugs of addiction" -- at least some of it is probably genetic, but temperament and imprinting also get their say. For me, alcohol and depressants in general are not appealing; having an evening drink five nights a week is really hitting the bottle for me. (Only five nights, because I often forget I was planning to have a drink. ) But I have to limit myself with stimulants (I have been lucky/smart enough to stay the away from cocaine.)
And smokables are... an issue for me.

Old 05-29-2018, 09:10 PM
Gun Pimp.

Quote:
Quoth Deserted View Post
Oh, I've been drunk a number of times, entirely while I was active duty in the Navy. Once I was even literally blackout drunk: I ordered Sambuca at a pub in the middle east, expecting a finger-size glass... nope, they brought a beer mug full of the stuff, which is definitely meant to be drunk in small amounts. I started drinking... after a while, my memory just sort of fades out.
OOH where was that? I missed that place.

Windage and Elevation.

Old 05-30-2018, 12:24 AM
Assistant Manager

Apropos News: Senator Garret announces alcoholism, will not seek re-election.

In context, that's kind of a "go figure" thing... he was already facing a scandal of sorts for having his personal staff do chores for him.

Old 05-30-2018, 06:05 PM
RVT

Quote:
Quoth morgana View Post
Minflick, are you me?

My dad wasn't a drunk, but he and mom both smoked like chimneys. I decided early that alcohol and cigarettes were NOT places I wanted to go.

The food thing, on the other hand? Well, I weigh 2.34 times what I should, so . . .
Heh, heh, heh. Mine did too. Mom quit after she retired, when during a chiro visit, he sent her straight to the ER, as she was cyanotic... That's when her emphysema was discovered, while she was living at high altitude in Santa Fe (as opposed to sea level where she spent most of her life). She never smoked again. I grew up with that lovely layer of smoke in the house, and EVERYTHING stank of stale cigs.

Dad quit smoking when he was in the hospital, I think for a ruptured appendix, and he discovered that when he had a smoke, his monitors went nuts ( this was back in the day when you could smoke in the hospital) and he too quit cold turkey and never lapsed.

Me.... I love my food, and I'm not sure how many times I weigh over what I should, but lets just say I've gained 90 odd pounds since I got married. I love food and I'm far too sedentary... I refused to smoke tobacco, there's nothing good about it to attract me. I've had weed, but not for a long time, and again, smoking just doesn't appeal to me. Needle abuse is never going to happen, because I HATE needles, although I used them all day every day at work. I drink a bit, but not a lot.

Old 05-30-2018, 06:20 PM
Darwin and Murphy are my gods.

Quote:
Quoth Rosco the Iroc View Post
OOH where was that? I missed that place.
Somewhere in Muscat, Oman. As for specifically where, I couldn't have told you where it was back then, let alone now, 20 years later.

Quote:
Quoth Minflick View Post
Heh, heh, heh. Mine did too. Mom quit after she retired, when during a chiro visit, he sent her straight to the ER, as she was cyanotic... That's when her emphysema was discovered, while she was living at high altitude in Santa Fe (as opposed to sea level where she spent most of her life). She never smoked again. I grew up with that lovely layer of smoke in the house, and EVERYTHING stank of stale cigs.

Dad quit smoking when he was in the hospital, I think for a ruptured appendix, and he discovered that when he had a smoke, his monitors went nuts ( this was back in the day when you could smoke in the hospital) and he too quit cold turkey and never lapsed.
My father started smoking at age 12 and never stopped. When he died of lung cancer after 55 years of smoking up to 3 packs a day, I told people it was no surprise he got cancer, the surprise was that it waited so long. His father did the same thing, and my brother's working on it himself. (ETA: No cancer yet, but he's been smoking over 30 years, it'll happen eventually.)

On the other hand, my mother started smoking in her late 40's because she found that it reduced her stress levels. She didn't smoke that much; a pack would last her a few days, generally. She stopped right before her 60th birthday, which was good, because she got double pneumonia right after her 60th birthday.
Yes, I am evil. What's your point? -- Jester

Old 05-31-2018, 12:09 AM
Front End Supervisor

Quote:
Quoth Deserted View Post
Somewhere in Muscat, Oman. As for specifically where, I couldn't have told you where it was back then, let alone now, 20 years later.
Well, you might have been able to remember where the bar was before you started drinking the Sambuca...

Old 05-31-2018, 12:12 AM
Gun Pimp.

Oman, ok I was never there. I had UAE down cold.

Windage and Elevation.

Old 05-31-2018, 02:01 AM
Cashier

About 30 years ago, I had a year long affair with meth. When I was using a dime bag a day, I realized that I was doing very bad things to myself, so I stopped using.

I stopped watching TV because I liked cop shows and watching someone snort a line of white powder was a punch in the gut when I came to making me want to start again. I also started avoiding friends and situations where I would be exposed to it. I had to, or I would relapse into addiction worse than before.

I could do this because meth isn't something that you see people using every day like cigarettes. It also wasn't food, which everywhere and necessary for continued survival.

Rehab doesn't work well because many people expect the drying out part to stop the addiction. It doesn't. It stops the withdrawal and those cravings, but it doesn't stop the daily "boy, I'd sure feel better if I could snort a quick line" punches in the gut.