This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Quoth Rosco the Iroc View Post
    OOH where was that? I missed that place.
    Somewhere in Muscat, Oman. As for specifically where, I couldn't have told you where it was back then, let alone now, 20 years later.

Quoth Minflick View Post
    Heh, heh, heh. Mine did too. Mom quit after she retired, when during a chiro visit, he sent her straight to the ER, as she was cyanotic... That's when her emphysema was discovered, while she was living at high altitude in Santa Fe (as opposed to sea level where she spent most of her life). She never smoked again. I grew up with that lovely layer of smoke in the house, and EVERYTHING stank of stale cigs.

Dad quit smoking when he was in the hospital, I think for a ruptured appendix, and he discovered that when he had a smoke, his monitors went nuts ( this was back in the day when you could smoke in the hospital) and he too quit cold turkey and never lapsed.
    My father started smoking at age 12 and never stopped. When he died of lung cancer after 55 years of smoking up to 3 packs a day, I told people it was no surprise he got cancer, the surprise was that it waited so long. His father did the same thing, and my brother's working on it himself. (ETA: No cancer yet, but he's been smoking over 30 years, it'll happen eventually.)

On the other hand, my mother started smoking in her late 40's because she found that it reduced her stress levels. She didn't smoke that much; a pack would last her a few days, generally. She stopped right before her 60th birthday, which was good, because she got double pneumonia right after her 60th birthday.
    Fool me once, shame on you. Fool me twice, you speak with the Fraud department. -- CrazedClerkthe2nd
    OW! Rolled my eyes too hard, saw my brain. -- Seanette
    she seems to top me in crazy, and I'm enough crazy for my family. -- Cooper
    Yes, I am evil. What's your point? -- Jester

Comment

Quoth Deserted View Post
      Somewhere in Muscat, Oman. As for specifically where, I couldn't have told you where it was back then, let alone now, 20 years later.
      Well, you might have been able to remember where the bar was before you started drinking the Sambuca...

Comment

Oman, ok I was never there. I had UAE down cold.
        AkaiKitsune
        Sarcasm dear, sarcasm. I’m well aware that dealing with civilians in any capacity will skin your faith in humanity alive, then pickle anything that remains so as to watch it shrivel up into an immortal husk thus reminding you of how dead inside you now are.

Comment

About 30 years ago, I had a year long affair with meth. When I was using a dime bag a day, I realized that I was doing very bad things to myself, so I stopped using.

I stopped watching TV because I liked cop shows and watching someone snort a line of white powder was a punch in the gut when I came to making me want to start again. I also started avoiding friends and situations where I would be exposed to it. I had to, or I would relapse into addiction worse than before.

I could do this because meth isn't something that you see people using every day like cigarettes. It also wasn't food, which everywhere and necessary for continued survival.

Rehab doesn't work well because many people expect the drying out part to stop the addiction. It doesn't. It stops the withdrawal and those cravings, but it doesn't stop the daily "boy, I'd sure feel better if I could snort a quick line" punches in the gut.

Comment

Working...
          X