This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Whaa, whaa, whaa ...

Guy comes through my line with his groceries.

Me: "Do you need bags today?"

Guy: "Are you charging for them again?"

Me: "Yes."

Guy (angrily): "Then no. That's not right."

Um, okay. They cost money to make. They cost money to ship all over the country. But you shouldn't have to pay five cents for a bag. And obviously you're too cheap to go buy a reusable bag or bin.

There are customers for whom I am happy to "forget" the bag charges (if they have one, or maximum two, bags). This guy wasn't one of them.

What do you want to bet he's the kind who's always saying things like "THERE'S NO FREE LUNCH!!"
    Customer service: More efficient than a Dementor's kiss
    ~ Mr Hero

Funny detail, we know the bags cost the company money, but the cost is only a cent or two.

But here in Canada, we no longer have a cent/penny available - the smallest coin is 5 cents, so the customer here has to pay a nickel no matter what they think for a bag.

Comment

Our state legislature was clever. Stores are required to charge for them. And the money goes to the store, not some fund for recycling. The store is cast as the villain, making a profit (however tiny) from the bags.

Comment

Yet for decades there was no chanrge.
        I'm with the cust on this one.
        AkaiKitsune
        Sarcasm dear, sarcasm. I’m well aware that dealing with civilians in any capacity will skin your faith in humanity alive, then pickle anything that remains so as to watch it shrivel up into an immortal husk thus reminding you of how dead inside you now are.

Comment

Quoth Rosco the Iroc View Post
          Yet for decades there was no chanrge.
          I'm with the cust on this one.
          The goal is to reduce waste and get people using reusable bags.

I mean, we've been doing a lot of stupid sh*t to the planet for decades. Doesn't mean we should keep on doing it now that we know better. -.-

Comment

Quoth Gravekeeper View Post
            The goal is to reduce waste and get people using reusable bags.

I mean, we've been doing a lot of stupid sh*t to the planet for decades. Doesn't mean we should keep on doing it now that we know better. -.-
            I agree, and I'm on a trend to have reusable everything. Grocery bags, produce bags, ziploc bags, everything. I like it.
            https://www.youtube.com/user/HedgeTV
            Great YouTube channel check it out!

Comment

They have not outlawed plastic bags where I live yet. For several years now, The WIfe and I have been avoiding them were we can. To me, it's the right thing to do. We have been trying to reduce single use plastics where we can.
              Life is too short to not eat popcorn.
              Save the Ales!
              Toys for Tots at Rooster's Cafe

Comment

I sewed up my own grocery bags, and it'll be nice when I can use them again. Oh, I can use them at the store where I have to bag my own, but that store's been ridiculously crowded since the pandemic started so I avoid it.

Comment

"Do you want me to put back some groceries so you can afford a bag or two?"

Comment

I recently heard a woman about my age (I'm 63) insisting that stores used to provide bags for free.

No, they didn't. The cost was just rolled into something else. Sure, it looked like they were free, but you can bet they made their money somewhere for the cost of those bags. It just wasn't obvious.
                    When you start at zero, everything's progress.

Comment

Lurve my ChicoBags... sturdy as anything, and they stuff into an interior pocket for easy stashing in a backpack/pocketbook.

Comment

Working...
                      X