This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I might be crazy

So after selling no pillows (my brother paid $27 combined for the last 2 and $13 for shipping) I am turning to making stuff from jump rings to make a bit of money.
    ACNL Dream Address: 5300-6013-1370

I'm sorry dark, but "Huh?"
    Were you trying to sell pillows? Jump rings? Is your brother a pillow lover? I's confused.

Comment

Take care if you are going to get into chainmaille, some of the more complicated designs can take a LONG time to make, only to be worth minimal profit.

I made a box chain bracelet for my girlfriend as a valentines day gift and it took me a little over 7 hours of non-stop work from start to finish.
      Violets are blue,
      Roses are red,
      I bequeath to thee...
      A boot to the head >_>

Comment

Quoth sms001 View Post
        I'm sorry dark, but "Huh?"
        Were you trying to sell pillows? Jump rings? Is your brother a pillow lover? I's confused.
        at one time I tried making pillows to sell but nobody bought them, and there were more than a few views, so I quit since No sales = no profit = no money and my brother agreed to buy the 2 I never sold. Now I've turned to making stuff from chainmail /jump rings/ split rings/ whatever you want to call them.

Comment

Have you seen this?
          When you start at zero, everything's progress.

Comment

Quoth MoonCat View Post
            Have you seen this?
            I'm gonna have to start a folder of ideas lol I got a few sitting in my bookmarks now like this.

Comment

Buy good pliers, take lots of breaks so you don't get radial tunnel syndrome (both arms luckily at different times), use sawed rings for the neatest closure and start with aluminum or copper before working up to the anodized and enameled ones.

My favorite weaves - GSG, AGSG, Arkham, This Is Not Water, This Is Not Food, Mink Tail, Cask, Rhinos Snorting Draino, Drunken Rhinos, Half-Persian 3-1 Sheet 5, Elf Weave, Water Elf, Oops, Euro 4-1 Unbalanced and what ever weave I happen to be working on right now.
              Figers are vicious I tell ya. They crawl up your leg and steal your belly button lint.

I'm a case study.

Comment

Quoth Cia View Post
                My favorite weaves - GSG, AGSG, Arkham, This Is Not Water, This Is Not Food, Mink Tail, Cask, Rhinos Snorting Draino, Drunken Rhinos, Half-Persian 3-1 Sheet 5, Elf Weave, Water Elf, Oops, Euro 4-1 Unbalanced and what ever weave I happen to be working on right now.
                Woah some of those look crazy!!! But I'm up for trying them.

Comment

There is a heck of a lot to consider when making chainmail as a source of income, try reading this http://www.mailleartisans.org/articl...lay.php?key=73 it goes over how to breakdown the piece and work out how to make money from it, assuming it will sell.

Personally, I'd say start of small and simple, start it more like a hobby, get some cheap rings to practise with, the more basic weaves first, like euro 4 in 1 (and variations thereof, 6 and 8 in one and such), half persian/persian. Personally, even after practise I'd stay doing small and relatively simple things (albeit using the more complicated weaves) you want to try and make nice looking things with the least amount of time making them that you can. Seriously avoid big things though, you'll make sod all on them compared to what you put in, especially time wise!.

You need to put lots of practise in, so that you sharpen your 3d spatial awareness and pattern recognition, making my chainmail shirt, i got good at pattern recognition so much so i could spot a misplaced ring from across the room, it helps a lot with complicated patterns as one mistake early on can ruin and force you to redo hours of work (seriously, one misplaced ring cost me 9 hours of work!)

www.mailleartisans.org/ Is probably the best link you'll ever get (aside from maybe theringlord.com ) it has a ton of weaves, articles, tutorials and other stuff.
                  Last edited by RayvenQ; 02-03-2014, 11:47 PM.
                  I am the nocturnal echo-locating flying mammal man.

Comment

Woo I made a weave. I made the "Rhinos Snorting Drano". Yes I'm celebrating something so simple but gotta start somewhere lol Then a half hour later started trying to make "Bee Stings"
                    Last edited by darkroxas45; 02-08-2014, 03:22 AM. Reason: added photo

Comment

Working...
                    X