This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Part Deux:
    1-2" of snow possible. This one is to start overnight. They have already closed all the schools. After the last FUBAR, everyone is overreacting. Which is probably a good thing. I was told that one large corporation closed their local office at 2:00 PM, today.

Tuesday is my usual work from home day, so not a problem fro me. The Wife is suppose to be at work at 5:00 AM - Freight Shift. She will do her usual test. If she can't make it up the hill at the end of the street, she will call out. If she does make it in, I wonder if they will get the store open at 9:00 AM or bail out. She has a reservation at a near by hotel, just in case.

My fellow Atlantians, be safe!
    Life is too short to not eat popcorn.
    Save the Ales!
    Toys for Tots at Rooster's Cafe

Comment

Quoth csquared View Post
      She has a reservation at a near by hotel, just in case.
      VERY good idea. And for entertainment, she can sit in the lobby and watch SCs try to get rooms when they didn't think ahead.

And while I realize that when you're not accustomed to it, any winter weather can be hazardous (heck, look at Angelenos and RAIN!), I still found this amusing:

Comment

Okay... Sarlon and I live in same general area ((25 minutes from each other, in fact))... While she is LUCKY to have a university job in OIT... *I* have to suffer the hell of being the not-so-local pizza-dude.
        When it drops three snowflakes here, schools close, people panic, and grocery stores are wiped out of milk, eggs, bread, beer, and cigarettes. And all of those f-tards buying those "staples" DO NOT cook. EVER.
        No! They buy $90 of pizza, expect me to be able to get to their house in four minutes, and when I call in saying that I can't get to them thanks to the BLACK ICE that has formed because the rain is freezing, they want their food not only delivered, but delivered FOR FREE!!
        "Well, we can get out with our Jeep."
        "I understand, but my mother's Subaru is not 4-wheel drive."
        "It ISN'T? ...Oh, well, can you still deliver our food? We'll tip you."
        -.-

Comment

We have been lucky so far. It is warm enough that the snow is melting on the streets. After sundown, all bets are off. And now the snow forecast is stretching out into Thursday.

I apologize for my earlier post. I extend the "Be safe!" to everyone caught in this mess.
          Save the Ales!

Comment

Nothing sticking to the roads here, and all my accumulations are melting
            What if Humans are just Dire Halflings?

Comment

Five hours at normal conditions north from ATL could be anywhere from Chattanooga to possibly Knoxville (you'd really have to be hauling it to get within sight of the door-knob in 5 hours.) My guess is Cleveland/Athens area.
              FYI Tennessee and Ohio do not share a boarder as Kentucky lays between two said states, Thanks be to the Good Lord, those yankees are too close as it is.
              Bow down before me for I am ROOT

Preserving precious bodily fluids sine 1952

Comment

Yeah, I kinda forgot about Kentucky. That is easy to do.
                Last edited by csquared; 02-12-2014, 12:15 AM.
                Save the Ales!

Comment

Shreveport is icing up tonight. I'm at work but not driving, working at the scales tonight. Probably going to leave by midnight, though. Interstates are mostly closed in the city due to all the overpasses so we're having very little traffic into the warehouse for me to really be necessary (this is essentially busy work to make sure I have an average paycheck). Don't want to be driving home too late after traffic has died down and the roads REALLY have a chance to freeze up.

Comment

Hey Kaylyn! Send a little of that our way. Oh wait, you are!

The temps are heading down to 25F with more rain on the way. This is where it gets really interesting. If we only get snow, we get off easy. If it turns into an ice storm, then we get the downed trees and powerlines.

The firewood is stocked. I better go top off the reserve water. The house is all electric and I have a well.
                    Save the Ales!

Comment

Went on home because I really had nothing to do and I wasn't worried about the money I would have earned. The steps going up to my apartment are solid ice now. I kept seeing flashes of light and thought "this doesn't seem like lightning weather" when I realized it was electrical transformers blowing. Still have power at home for now, and keeping my fingers crossed it stays that way.

Comment

Quoth Kaylyn View Post
                        when I realized it was electrical transformers blowing.

Good lord! Not good. Hope yours stayed on.

Comment

Quoth sms001 View Post
                          Good lord! Not good. Hope yours stayed on.
                          So far, so good. About to go to bed for the day so I don't much care what happens when I'm trying to sleep. I have 3 comforters ready to go if it does go out and leaves me without heat.

Comment

So! My car is frozen shut, and as I'm trying to figure out how to get inside my car to get the ice scraper so I can open the door, I got a text from Bosslady that I can work where I live today.
                            What if Humans are just Dire Halflings?

Comment

So what kind of "work" will you be doing today? I doubt you will have many customers. Although, there will probabaly be "that one".

The Wife just informed me that that the NWS is now saying 6 - 10" of snow. And me with out a sled.*

* Probably a good thing. The last time I was on a sled, I ended up in a leg brace.
                              Save the Ales!

Comment

Possibly 6-9 inches of snow forecast for tonight and tomorrow.

Yay.
                                I question my sanity every day. Sometimes it answers.

Comment

Working...
                                X