Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Well, so far I've sat and stared at a computer screen, counted the money, told the DM for this district that the bank is closed, so I can't do the deposit today, and I've mostly cleared most of the ice off my car.

And answered the phone once.

Mostly I've been giggling at all the people who can't drive their big SUVs up an ice covered hill. (Funniest was the hummer that was burning rubber for 2-3 minutes)
    What if Humans are just Dire Halflings?

Comment

Ice, Ice go away!

The roads aren't too bad out but it's rainy, icy, and I keep hearing tree branches falling in the back. My area is NOT equipped for this stuff.
      Eh, one day I'll have something useful here. Until then, have a cookie or two.

Comment

Quoth Parrothead View Post
        Mostly I've been giggling at all the people who can't drive their big SUVs up an ice covered hill. (Funniest was the hummer that was burning rubber for 2-3 minutes)
        *shakes head*
        DON"T SPIN YOUR TIRES! Bernoulli's principle people. It does not help.

The last go around, The Wife thinks that a person in front of her was two foot driving. Brake lights were on and the rear tires were spinning. Oh, and the back end was sliding sideways.
        Life is too short to not eat popcorn.
        Save the Ales!
        Toys for Tots at Rooster's Cafe

Comment

It warmed up enough today to start melting the ice left over from the freezing rain last night. It's about 37F right now. But that's not warm enough to dry the roads fully and it's supposed to go back down to about 20 tonight, so the wetness left on the roads is going to turn to pure ice. I'm working again, half-night tonight, and I plan to stay till I get off rather than leave after 3 hours like I did last night (was worried about pine trees falling on the road and downed power lines) so I'll just have to be extra-cautious when driving home.

Comment

I just looked at Twitter. Apparently NC is the new Atlanta as far as the Clusterflake 2014 goes right now. Gridlock, people abandoning cars, etc. The Duke vs UNC game was even postponed. My thoughts to everyone involved in this huge, ugly mess right now!
            "And though she be but little, she is FIERCE!"--Shakespeare

Comment

welp NE tennessee checking in....theres at least 4 inches on my back (uncovered) porch, my bunny statue in the front yard is buried, and the antenna on my car is buried.....I can't even see the tip of it any more and it sits at a slant.....and its STILL snowing. I'll post pictures in the morning when its lighter.
              It is by snark alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the juice of the coffee bean that thoughts acquire 'tude, the lips acquire mouthiness, the glares become a warning.

Comment

It started here a little while ago... the cars have a light dusting now and I got an automated call around 11pm saying that work has a delayed opening (10am) but call back at 7:30 for further updates. I, however, am plannng to log in at my usual starting time, and since last I checked it said the snow would turn to rain/sleet around 9 and keep doing that for most of the day, I will likely just work from home.
                I don't go in for ancient wisdom
                I don't believe just 'cause ideas are tenacious
                It means that they're worthy - Tim Minchin, "White Wine in the Sun"

Comment

Northern NJ here. (between Clifton and Nutley Clifton) [1]

We've got several inches here, and it's still comin' down. Started about 12:30 last night, and it hasn't stopped yet. I was outside at about noon, and the snow was starting to rattle on my hood, so it looks like it's gonna turn into freezing rain. Which is all I need, to put another layer of ice on top of the stuff we've already got.

Update: 1:21 PM. I went outside just now and stuck a pipe into the snow, where it was level, and measured.

FIFTEEN inches we got.

And now it's just plain rain. The areas of sidewalk we shoveled have now very rapidly turned into a skating rink. I went outside and put down some CaCl₂ to try and keep that clear, but it's gonna freeze again tonight, so who knows what's going to happen. Thank $DEITY I laid in a fifty pound bag.

Not hide nor hair of any snowplow have we seen yet. I guess they figure that since the school (there's a public school across the street) is closed, they don't have to bother.

My boss called me and said not to bother coming in tonight, he's closing early. The doctors' offices in the Village are all closed, no prescriptions coming in, there's no point risking my life on the roads. The trip normally takes me an hour, today who knows if I'll get there at all.'

Update: 2:00 PM. Snowplow finally came down the block.

[1] yes, there is a city between Clifton, NJ and Clifton, NJ. Look at a map.
                  Last edited by Shalom; 02-13-2014, 06:03 PM.

Comment

So last night they called a 10am opening; this morning about 7:30 I got another automated call saying they were closed for 1st shift. I'm logged in from home (being so extraordinarily productive I can't even tell you... ) and this afternoon there was an email saying they are closed for 2nd shift as well, presumably in anticipation of everything turning to ice later. I went out a little bit ago because they finally came to clear my parking lot so I had to move my car. I took a little drive instead of trying to find a place to move to temporarily. I was going to go to Starbucks, which is attached to B&N. B&N appears to be closed but there were a few cars at the Starbucks end of the building, but the entrance to the parking lot was such a mess I decided it wasn't worth it. So I made a big circle in hopes that by the time I got back they would be done in my lot. He was working on my side when I got here so I parked on the other side, but now I don't hear him out there so I think I'll go move my car back over.

Weather.com says 7.3 inches here. Right now it's just drizzling and the roads are slushy in some places but mostly just wet.
                    Last edited by BookstoreEscapee; 02-13-2014, 08:46 PM.
                    I don't go in for ancient wisdom
                    I don't believe just 'cause ideas are tenacious
                    It means that they're worthy - Tim Minchin, "White Wine in the Sun"

Comment

Quoth BrenDAnn View Post
                      I just looked at Twitter. Apparently NC is the new Atlanta as far as the Clusterflake 2014 goes right now. Gridlock, people abandoning cars, etc. The Duke vs UNC game was even postponed. My thoughts to everyone involved in this huge, ugly mess right now!
                      That was Raleigh that had the gridlock . . . we have a special kind of stupid here.

Wonder if my Wise Guy got word on the Duke/Carolina game before he tried to strike out for Chapel Hill yesterday . . . he was talking about it on Tuesday when he came by.

We've even had folks abandoning cars around Greensboro as well, as seen on local news a short time ago. I'd estimate we had around 80 accidents just in the Greensboro area alone Wednesday.

Folks knew this storm was coming for at least a week . . . even when I clocked out after 2 yesterday the lines were still busy. I even heard one woman talking to her kids about wanting to run by Wallyworld on the way home.

Just what? I'd be heading straight home myself . . . hell with Wallyworld.
                      Human Resources - the adult version of "I'm telling Mom." - Agent Anthony "Tony" DiNozzo (NCIS)

Comment

Quoth Shalom View Post
                        We've got several inches here, and it's still comin' down. Started about 12:30 last night, and it hasn't stopped yet. I was outside at about noon, and the snow was starting to rattle on my hood, so it looks like it's gonna turn into freezing rain. Which is all I need, to put another layer of ice on top of the stuff we've already got.
                        I was living in NJ in '93. That was when SnowJam hit Atlanta. That storm came up the coast and dumped 12-16" in NJ. It then rained and froze. They needed front loaders and dump trucks to clear the roadway. It was a 16" thick block of ice.

Quoth DGoddessChardonnay View Post
                        That was Raleigh that had the gridlock . . . we have a special kind of stupid here.
                        You didn't learn from watching us in Atlanta two weeks ago?
                        Last edited by csquared; 02-14-2014, 01:12 AM.
                        Life is too short to not eat popcorn.
                        Save the Ales!
                        Toys for Tots at Rooster's Cafe

Comment

Quoth csquared View Post
                          I was living in NJ in '93. That was when SnowJam hit Atlanta. That storm came up the coast and dumped 12-16" in NJ. It then rained and froze. They needed front loaders and dump trucks to clear the roadway. It was a 16" thick block of ice.

You didn't learn from watching us in Atlanta two weeks ago?
                          I already knew what to do . . . not be out in the damned mess. It was everyone else.

Besides, not everybody in NC is related to one another (or at least my part of the state anyways.)

Of course the highlight of my morning at work was watching a fellow in a huge SUV (a Suburban) who kept trying and failing to make it up the entrance (and not the steep one at Church Street either.) The not as steep exit to Chapel Road he kept sliding down and trying again, and each time he'd hit the brakes as soon as he got to the exit and slide back down again.

He did this for about an hour or so, then tried the steeper Church St. exit (which is a longer and steeper exit and it's uphill, same as the other exit as we are in the bottom of a hole) and the very same thing happened.

Unfortunately I had to leave the front (had finished my cigarette counts and had to go to the back) so I couldn't tell you how much longer before he finally figured out how to get out, but he apparently did b/c he was long gone by the time I left at 3:30.
                          Last edited by DGoddessChardonnay; 02-14-2014, 11:33 PM.
                          Human Resources - the adult version of "I'm telling Mom." - Agent Anthony "Tony" DiNozzo (NCIS)

Comment

That storm SUCKED (93')! What was worse was the melt in the spring. We ended up flooding out in central PA. And I miss that little white honda with the blue door .

But the paint on me is beginning to dry
                            And it's not what I wanted to be
                            The weight on me
                            Is Hanging on to a weary angel - Sister Hazel

Comment

It was 61° F here yesterday...

My daughter is worried that her sprouting tulips will get nipped in the bud..
                              I am not an a**hole. I am a hemorrhoid. I irritate a**holes!
                              Procrastination: Forward planning to insure there is something to do tomorrow.
                              Derails threads faster than a pocket nuke.

Comment

Working...
                              X