Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Quite the surprise at the parking garage...

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Quite the surprise at the parking garage...

Ok, I work downtown in a major U.S. City. Two buildings over is a parking garage. Well, it costs money to park there.

Up until this morning, it was $5/day to park (and no, the company I work for doesn't foot the bill for this, it comes out of my own pocket).

Anyway, I get there, and pull in, and on the ticket-dispensing machine was a sign that stated "New Daily Rate $12".

Yes, you read that right. Yesterday it was $5. Today it was $12. A 140% increase.

Fortunately, when I got there they hadn't changed the price yet, so I got to park today for $5, because I paid for it about 2 minutes before they changed the prices.

Not sure what I'm going to do tomorrow, but I heard that there is a garage nearby that is $3/day.
    Skilled programmers aren't cheap. Cheap programmers aren't skilled.

I imagine that that garage will now get a shitload of business.

And I also imagine that there will be a shitload more carpooling.
    My Guide to Oblivion

"I resent the implication that I've gone mad, Sprocket."

Comment

Quoth Tama View Post
      People will still probably park there. I'm going to avoid it if at all possible.

Well, I know that a lot of people that I work with take public transportation. I don't live in an area serviced by public transportation, and the nearest station to me is such that I might as well drive in anyway.

I'm just going to have to try to find a cheaper lot.

Comment

I meant the $3/day lot by the way. Not the LETS DOUBLE people. If the $3/day is really $3/day.
        My Guide to Oblivion

"I resent the implication that I've gone mad, Sprocket."

Comment

I'd say check with the IRS website -- certain mileage/fuel costs are at least tax-deductible, maybe parking fees that are, in essence, a mandatory requirement your job are too? They do have an "Ask us" form for that purpose, iirc -- and the sooner you send in an inquiry (before April), the sooner it will likely be answered...Of course, if the answer is "yes", you can file amended returns going three years back
          "For a musician, the SNES sound engine is like using Crayola Crayons. Nobuo Uematsu used Crayola Crayons to paint the Sistine Chapel." - Jeremy Jahns (re: "Dancing Mad")
          "The difference between an amateur and a master is that the master has failed way more times." - JoCat
          "Thinking is difficult, therefore let the herd pronounce judgment!" ~ Carl Jung
          "There's burning bridges, and then there's the lake just to fill it with gasoline." - Wiccy, reddit
          "Retail is a cruel master, and could very well be the most educational time of many people's lives, in its own twisted way." - me
          "Love keeps her in the air when she oughta fall down...tell you she's hurtin' 'fore she keens...makes her a home." - Capt. Malcolm Reynolds, "Serenity" (2005)
          Acts of Gord – Read it, Learn it, Love it!
          "Our psychic powers only work if the customer has a mind to read." - me

Comment

Quoth EricKei View Post
            I'd say check with the IRS website -- certain mileage/fuel costs are at least tax-deductible, maybe parking fees that are, in essence, a mandatory requirement your job are too?
            Correct, Eric.
            Line 2, Form 2106..
            Daily commuting to a fixed location is not, sorry.
            I'm trying to see things from your point of view, but I can't get my head that far up my keister!

Who is John Galt?
            -Ayn Rand, Atlas Shrugged

Comment

karl -- I thought general mileage for commutes to/from work was deductible if it was above a certain number of miles per day; is it not?
              "For a musician, the SNES sound engine is like using Crayola Crayons. Nobuo Uematsu used Crayola Crayons to paint the Sistine Chapel." - Jeremy Jahns (re: "Dancing Mad")
              "The difference between an amateur and a master is that the master has failed way more times." - JoCat
              "Thinking is difficult, therefore let the herd pronounce judgment!" ~ Carl Jung
              "There's burning bridges, and then there's the lake just to fill it with gasoline." - Wiccy, reddit
              "Retail is a cruel master, and could very well be the most educational time of many people's lives, in its own twisted way." - me
              "Love keeps her in the air when she oughta fall down...tell you she's hurtin' 'fore she keens...makes her a home." - Capt. Malcolm Reynolds, "Serenity" (2005)
              Acts of Gord – Read it, Learn it, Love it!
              "Our psychic powers only work if the customer has a mind to read." - me

Comment

Karl, have I said lately that I love having you on the board?

Comment

Is there some kind of major event happening in your town? When I lived in Milwaukee, parking garages LOVED to magically raise their rates right around the time a big event happens and there would be a high demand for parking

Comment

On game day here in Pittsburgh, you can find parking anywhere from $20 to well over $50 That's why, unless I have a pass for a lot over near Heinz, I refuse to pay those rates. Instead, I'll park out in the 'burbs (which is free!), and take the T down there for $3.50
                    Aerodynamics are for people who can't build engines. --Enzo Ferrari

Comment

Quoth drjonah View Post
                      Is there some kind of major event happening in your town?
                      Not that I'm aware of.

I did, however, find a lot nearby that has a deal where if you park there before 8:30 AM, and leave after 2 PM, it's $3.

It's a couple of blocks further than the $12 one, but I'm willing to walk the extra distance to save the $9. Plus, there are "catwalks" or "sky walks" that I can use to avoid inclement/cold weather.

Comment

Quoth protege View Post
                        On game day here in Pittsburgh, you can find parking anywhere from $20 to well over $50 That's why, unless I have a pass for a lot over near Heinz, I refuse to pay those rates. Instead, I'll park out in the 'burbs (which is free!), and take the T down there for $3.50
                        There was a big thing made about the pricing for parking when the new stadium for the Cowboys (now AT&T Stadium) was built.

Someone in the sports media asked Jerry Jones why he charged $50 per car for parking right next to the stadium.

His response? "Because I can."

Comment

Quoth Tama View Post

It also means that the garage that's $3 a day will also raise its rates. Perhaps not to $12 a day, but there will be a significant jump. Assuming the rate hike is permanent at the first place, because that does sound an awful lot like an 'event' rate.

Comment

Quoth mjr View Post
                            His response? "Because I can."
                            It's the same here. Nearly all of the lots and garages inside the city limits are owned (or controlled) by the parking authority. No wonder that some of us call the authority the "parking cartel" But, even some of the private lots do it--many 9-5 businesses will staff their lots on Game Day, and charge similar (or even higher) rates depending on how close they are to the stadiums. It's all about supply and demand, but some people simply get greedy.
                            Aerodynamics are for people who can't build engines. --Enzo Ferrari

Comment

Quoth EricKei View Post
                              karl -- I thought general mileage for commutes to/from work was deductible if it was above a certain number of miles per day; is it not?
                              Commuting to a fixed location is not, regardless of the mileage; however, if you travel to different sites you can claim mileage, tolls and parking.
                              I'm trying to see things from your point of view, but I can't get my head that far up my keister!

Who is John Galt?
                              -Ayn Rand, Atlas Shrugged

Comment

Working...
                              X