Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

HR is not just about human interaction within a business or company, but also about interaction with outside entities as well - such as clients. They should always be your first point of contact in situations like this because it is their job to advise the best course of action and then to help facilitate that course of action. They will also have the necessary contacts with the legal team to vet any communications that are sent to a client or other outside contact. Taking it into your own hands without involving HR could see your job being placed on a very thin line, no matter how strongly you feel this action needs to be taken. Especially if your boss will not step up to the plate on this.

Comment

Acme Bank expects all customers to interact with us in a professional and business-lke manner. Customers who repeatedly make inappropriate comments to our staff may be requested to terminate their relationship with our bank

This is very good phrasing. The SC is very well aware of what "inappropriate comments" means - he's just choosing to ignore it. Don't give specific examples - he'll get off on that. He already knows it offends you; that's why he's doing it. The letter should ultimately come from the boss, not from the staff.

The problem with not involving HR is that you could be seen as doing something without management/corporate approval. It's kind of like going over your boss's head. Goodhair or preferably his boss (with a copy to the company legal dept) should sign the letter. SC will not take it seriously if it comes from the staff.

It would also be great if Goodhair could grow a spine and back up the staff if this guy tries running his mouth again. If you have permission to walk away and not serve the guy, and let your boss know SC is violating the rules (because I can almost guarantee he'll try it at least once after receiving a letter from the bank), they can then lower the boom and he's gone.
      When you start at zero, everything's progress.

Comment

Quoth MoonCat View Post

This is very good phrasing. The SC is very well aware of what "inappropriate comments" means - he's just choosing to ignore it. Don't give specific examples - he'll get off on that. He already knows it offends you; that's why he's doing it. The letter should ultimately come from the boss, not from the staff.

The problem with not involving HR is that you could be seen as doing something without management/corporate approval. It's kind of like going over your boss's head. Goodhair or preferably his boss (with a copy to the company legal dept) should sign the letter. SC will not take it seriously if it comes from the staff.

It would also be great if Goodhair could grow a spine and back up the staff if this guy tries running his mouth again. If you have permission to walk away and not serve the guy, and let your boss know SC is violating the rules (because I can almost guarantee he'll try it at least once after receiving a letter from the bank), they can then lower the boom and he's gone.
        I agree and disagree With this type of SC, SPECIFIC examples need to be given. Otherwise, he/she/they will claim "I don't know what you mean!" But I definately agree that HR needs to be involved. Preferably, they would notify the SC (letter, fax, email, whatever). That way, all bases are covered.

But in the meantime, wait on him/her/it in a professional manner ... AFTER you say "DO NOT CALL ME THAT!" Proceed with the transaction. If he/she/it continues, give one warning ..... "If you continue to talk to me that way, this transaction is over".

Good luck!

Comment

I second everything said above, especially whoever it was who said 'we ARE on your side here'.

While waiting for HR to do its thing, ensure that in every shift, there is only one staff member who is willing to handle Mr Creep's business, and that that staff member is the one who is most capable of dealing with his crap.

That person should be exquisitely professional, and totally intolerant of crap. And if Mr Creep crosses that person's individual line, she informs Creep that if he wishes to do any more business today, he will have to do it with Mr Goodhair.

In other words, you have the right to refuse service to known harassers. Use it.
          Seshat's self-help guide:
          1. Would you rather be right, or get the result you want?
          2. If you're consistently getting results you don't want, change what you do.
          3. Deal with the situation you have now, however it occurred.
          4. Accept the consequences of your decisions.

"All I want is a pretty girl, a decent meal, and the right to shoot lightning at fools." - Anders, Dragon Age.

Comment

Quoth Seshat View Post
            I second everything said above, especially whoever it was who said 'we ARE on your side here'.
            I agree. Have that prerson on standby close to yo . When the guy starts acting up, excuse yourself, then call over the HR person. Bonus points if other customers are nearby.
            Last edited by EricKei; 10-15-2014, 06:27 PM. Reason: Trimmed quote

Comment

Thanks, everyone, for your advice.

I talked to Goodhair about the SC this morning. I went over some of the things the harasser has done. I told him we're all tired of it. I said I'd drafted a letter, and then thought better of it (thanks to all of you).

Goodhair seems to be behind us. He agreed that nobody deserves to be harassed and that something needs to be done about the SC. He's going to talk with the president of the bank for input on how to handle it, "put a few heads together" to address the SC's behavior.

I said that, ideally, we'd like to see the SC's behavior change (thank you folks for that wording), since I'm sure that he does the same thing at other businesses.

So the ball is rolling. We'll see where it goes.
              "I look at the stars. It's a clear night and the Milky Way seems so near. That's where I'll be going soon. "We are all star stuff." I suddenly remember Delenn's line from Joe's script. Not a bad prospect. I am not afraid. In the meantime, let me close my eyes and sense the beauty around me. And take that breath under the dark sky full of stars. Breathe in. Breathe out. That's all."
              -Mira Furlan

Comment

I must agree with the other posters that you should go through proper corporate channels for the following reasons:

#1) This is a CYA move, not just for the bank, but yourself. By going through the resources provided by your employer to handle problems like this, you are helping it to be able to more easily handle similar issues in the future. You also enable it to be able to answer any complaint from the customer about this issue (also see #3 and #4).

#2) There may be additional legal issues associated with this due to the type of business a Bank does with its customers. Given the fact that The Bank has the customers money and/or the customer has The Bank's money there may be certain steps that the bank prefers to take to deal with a problem customer that you are not aware of. By going through proper channels, you ensure that The Bank is able to take the appropriate actions to ensure that, should the need arise, the severance of this customer's relationship is at least as beneficial to The Bank as possible.

#3) Even though Goodhair is the Branch Manager, there are at least a few levels of management above him. By approaching Goodhair and making it clear that the customer's actions and comments have breached the sanctity of you and your colleagues work environment, you give him the opportunity to a) deal with the situation himself, or b) escalate it to the next appropriate level of management. It allows him to save face (always good for a boss) and allows you a further avenue (if he doesn't do anything you can go over his head).

#4) As others have said, by sending this letter as The Bank Branch Staff (or something similar) you may create the impression that this is from the overarching Bank, and not the staff of one particular branch. If the customer complains to the Bank itself (as he would probably do) and they don't have any knowledge of the harassment, they may come down on you (in particular, how much do you wanna bet that your co-workers would throw you under the bus at the drop of a hat?), not to mention Goodhair (for allowing/authorizing/participating). This means that not only is the overarching organization not gonna be happy with you, but your manager may become more difficult to work with.

#5) If he's doing it to the employees at YOUR branch, he may be doing it to employees at OTHER branches. By moving this up the proper channels, you may further improve your case, because it may come out that other branches have similar complaints. In fact, he may already be on thin ice, and this might allow you to get rid of him on a permanent basis.

Just some stuff to consider, hope it helps.

SC

EDIT: This'll teach me to finish the thread before I post. Just saw Ghel's latest, and am glad to see she followed the advice given by the other member's. I am leaving my post intact as I stand by what I said (or reiterated from other member's as the case maybe).
                Last edited by BroSCFischer; 10-18-2014, 08:14 AM.
                "...four of his five wits went halting off, and now is the whole man governed with one..." W. Shakespeare, Much Ado About Nothing Act I, Sc I

Do you like Shakespeare? Join us The Globe Theater!

Comment

I know you all want him to stop, but unless you are high up the corporate food chain, you could find yourselves in a shit storm of trouble for sending this. You are opening up the bank to a lawsuit (he will have written proof with the letter of 'harassment' where you just have verbal stories) and most corporations will back a customer over an employee simply because the suits are not on the front lines being harassed by this creep. What you and your fellow tellers need to do (and this is preached for a good reason on this board) is document, document, document and take copies of say, a months report of this creeps actions (and I know the leering is gross, but stick with just the verbal bullshit) to Goodhair, cc'ing HR and whoever Goodhair's boss is. Stay calm, but just say that enough is enough, and what are they going to do to protect you guys from Mr. Lewds harassment. Make sure you have a list of alternative actions you would like to see happen (refusing to wait on him if he starts his shit, Goodhair talking to him with a warning about behavior). If the higher ups then ignore what is going on, it would not be a bad thing to talk to the local Labor Board about your rights.

If any of my people under me took matters into their own hands instead of coming to me and expecting me, as their supervisor, to take care of the situation, I would have to probably at least write them up, if not out right let them go.

Comment

SC brought me a gift today. I got back from lunch, and there were two homemade pot holders and a washcloth, which my coworkers said SC had dropped off. He said his wife made them for me. Maybe she felt sorry for me about having to put up with him.
                    "I look at the stars. It's a clear night and the Milky Way seems so near. That's where I'll be going soon. "We are all star stuff." I suddenly remember Delenn's line from Joe's script. Not a bad prospect. I am not afraid. In the meantime, let me close my eyes and sense the beauty around me. And take that breath under the dark sky full of stars. Breathe in. Breathe out. That's all."
                    -Mira Furlan

Comment

Don't let them soften you up! They're preparing to strike!
                      "For a musician, the SNES sound engine is like using Crayola Crayons. Nobuo Uematsu used Crayola Crayons to paint the Sistine Chapel." - Jeremy Jahns (re: "Dancing Mad")
                      "The difference between an amateur and a master is that the master has failed way more times." - JoCat
                      "Thinking is difficult, therefore let the herd pronounce judgment!" ~ Carl Jung
                      "There's burning bridges, and then there's the lake just to fill it with gasoline." - Wiccy, reddit
                      "Retail is a cruel master, and could very well be the most educational time of many people's lives, in its own twisted way." - me
                      "Love keeps her in the air when she oughta fall down...tell you she's hurtin' 'fore she keens...makes her a home." - Capt. Malcolm Reynolds, "Serenity" (2005)
                      Acts of Gord – Read it, Learn it, Love it!
                      "Our psychic powers only work if the customer has a mind to read." - me

Comment

Quoth Ghel View Post
                        SC brought me a gift today. I got back from lunch, and there were two homemade pot holders and a washcloth, which my coworkers said SC had dropped off. He said his wife made them for me. Maybe she felt sorry for me about having to put up with him.
                        The potholders are for handling him since he is hot stuff, and the washcloth is for cleaning up afterwards.
                        "I don't have to be petty. The Universe does that for me."

Comment

Quoth Ironclad Alibi View Post
                          The potholders are for handling him since he is hot stuff, and the washcloth is for cleaning up afterwards.
                          Ewwww.....

He came in to see me again this afternoon (for the thing he originally wanted to see me when he left the pot holders and washcloth). One of the first things he said was "attagirl!" I must have turned beet red. My face felt hot. I told him not to say that. That it's something you would say to a dog or a child. He tried to argue with me, but I insisted that it was something he shouldn't say. Finally, he said he wouldn't do it again, and I said "ok." Then he made a comment about "no wonder you're so cranky." Which could have been a whole 'nother argument, but I let that one drop.

I helped him with what he needed and got him out of my office as quick as I could. He peppered me with more over-the-top compliments about what a great job I do as he left. (He's been doing that a lot lately, too. I find it just as creepy as the "attagirl" and comments on my appearance.)
                          -Mira Furlan

Comment

it's up to you but I would return those potholders and washcloth, he may use them as a justification for further behviour.
                            Interviewer: What is your greatest weakness?
                            Me: I expect competence from my coworkers.

Comment

As good as it would feel to be able to address the issue directly, go through HR. I would hate for you to wind up on the costly end of a harassment lawsuit because the self-absorbed creep felt he was "embarrassed" by being called out like that.
                              Sorry, my cow died so I don't need your bull

Comment

Actually, yes - that's happened to me. Not to the lawsuit level; but one time I forcefully informed a person that his constant interruptions to our work were unwelcome. I'm glad I spoke (declaimed, probably) as loudly as I did, because the whole office heard exactly what I said.

Why am I glad the whole office heard? Because HE placed a harassment claim against ME with our mutual boss.

Edit to add: I mention this anecdote to warn you (OP) that this stuff does happen.
                                Last edited by Seshat; 10-24-2014, 07:32 PM.
                                Seshat's self-help guide:
                                1. Would you rather be right, or get the result you want?
                                2. If you're consistently getting results you don't want, change what you do.
                                3. Deal with the situation you have now, however it occurred.
                                4. Accept the consequences of your decisions.

"All I want is a pretty girl, a decent meal, and the right to shoot lightning at fools." - Anders, Dragon Age.

Comment

Working...
                                X