This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My Favorite complaint I was "Spoken to" about

So this was about 13 years ago and I still remember it. I was working at Target as a cashier. I was in my second day outside of training, when an elderly couple came though my line. They had two 3-packs of Kleenex and wanted me to sell them for the sale price of the 6-packs. I explained to them I was unable to do so, due to the sale being for the 6-packs only. They got pissed off, demanded management.

Management ended up pulling them to another register and cashing them out there, but did NOT give them the sale price that they wanted. when they left the old woman yelled out "And put on a bra! you should be ashamed"

...now background. I am well-endowed. I always have been. However, during this time, I was also very pregnant. So I was extra well-endowed. AND I WAS wearing a bra. But I have a big chest. They aren't as perky as, say a B cup.

So..the manager actually comes over to me, pulls me aside and begins to lecture me on dress code. Back then I was not nearly as confident as I am now, so I just pulled my shirt to the side and showed the manager my bra strap. These days, I like to think that I would have told him off and that customers had no right to speculate about my undergarments.

But to this day, that is still my favorite complaint ever. The customer who was so mad at me, that they brought up my underwear to complain about

Quoth April View Post
    The customer who was so mad at me, that they brought up my underwear to complain about
    I have no idea why this struck me as so funny, but I'm literally lol. I can just imagine the ol' bitty running through alternative after alternative: "What can I whinge about, what, what what..." in her head. And finally settling for something personal, but outrageously obtuse and incidentally incorrect. Poor old thing. Don't know if experience is helping you much in this case though, I think just showing a strap and carrying on with your day is as good an answer as any, and better than most.

Comment

Quoth April View Post
      These days, I like to think that I would have told him off and that customers had no right to speculate about my undergarments.
      Just wondering, was there in fact a policy which said "women must wear bras"? I know boobs can be distracting, but... I don't know it just seems like a hard policy to enforce. And just. Just. None of their business? Not sure what I'm trying to say, I just don't think that's an okay rule.
      Replace anger management with stupidity management.

Comment

My guess would be that it's more along the lines of "all employees must wear appropriate underwear under their clothes," without specifying a gender. Then, the store/management gets to decide the definition of "appropriate."
        "For a musician, the SNES sound engine is like using Crayola Crayons. Nobuo Uematsu used Crayola Crayons to paint the Sistine Chapel." - Jeremy Jahns (re: "Dancing Mad")
        "The difference between an amateur and a master is that the master has failed way more times." - JoCat
        "Thinking is difficult, therefore let the herd pronounce judgment!" ~ Carl Jung
        "There's burning bridges, and then there's the lake just to fill it with gasoline." - Wiccy, reddit
        "Retail is a cruel master, and could very well be the most educational time of many people's lives, in its own twisted way." - me
        "Love keeps her in the air when she oughta fall down...tell you she's hurtin' 'fore she keens...makes her a home." - Capt. Malcolm Reynolds, "Serenity" (2005)
        Acts of Gord – Read it, Learn it, Love it!
        "Our psychic powers only work if the customer has a mind to read." - me

Comment

I worked for a company that wrote "Make-up is required for a professional appearance."

Luckily, I was in support services. Tinted moisturizer, blush and eyebrow pencil sufficed.

Comment

I worked at a restaurant that had: all bras must be white, off white, nude or flesh coloured.

It didn't specify that bras must be worn, or by whom. Since my philosophy on getting dressed is more 'all bras must be clean and belong to you before putting on' I often showed up to work in random coloured bra. The owner talked to me about it once, my answer was: I agree it's a shame that the females uniform shirt are so thin as too be see through. It's weird that the mens aren't, I would be happy to wear a mens shirt (thicker material polo, rather than tight, thin material sleeveless t) I was never bugged about my teal/pink/polka dot or what have you bras again.

It's stupid to complain about peoples underwear, unless they are glaringly obvious, and then you should complain about the uniform that shows the underwear.
            Pain and suffering are inevitable...misery is optional.

Comment

Quoth notalwaysright View Post
              Just wondering, was there in fact a policy which said "women must wear bras"? I know boobs can be distracting, but... I don't know it just seems like a hard policy to enforce. And just. Just. None of their business? Not sure what I'm trying to say, I just don't think that's an okay rule.
              Almost every restaurant I have worked at had, as part of their uniform policy, the rules that all employees must wear underwear, and female employees must wear bras. It may or may not have had to do with health codes, but in some establishments, the underwear requirement was often due to cocktail servers in short skirts who decided they'd make more money by not wearing underwear. To be fair, they were usually correct.

You'll notice I use the word "almost" above. There was only ever one exception to this, in my 28 years in the industry: the clothing optional bar I was a DJ at. It should be noted that they did not serve any food, just drinks. And even they required all employees to have some sort of bottoms on when behind the bar.

"The Customer Is Always Right...But The Bartender Decides Who Is
              Still A Customer."

Comment

Quoth Jester View Post
                Almost every restaurant I have worked at had, as part of their uniform policy, the rules that all employees must wear underwear, and female employees must wear bras. It may or may not have had to do with health codes, but in some establishments, the underwear requirement was often due to cocktail servers in short skirts who decided they'd make more money by not wearing underwear. To be fair, they were usually correct.
                I suppose that make sense. I've never worked in the food service industry myself. Also, I live in a hippy-dippy, ultra casual part of the country. So I sometimes forget myself. I'm fairly sure my work does not specify anything regarding undergarments, or makeup. I can think of one employee who never wears a bra. You can't tell, because the apron covers that area. And quite a few of us never wear makeup, including myself. However, I have repeatedly been described as "girly" even though I don't wear makeup or jewelry. I braid my hair in fun ways, though.
                Replace anger management with stupidity management.

Comment

I'm cynical.

I think that the couple picked up those tissues and demanded you sell them at a different price because they KNEW you couldn't do it. They were waiting for you to say 'no' so that they could complain. THEN, when they realised that even the manager wouldn't cave, the woman wanted you to get into trouble and complained about the first thing she could think of, which in this case, was the VERY silly complaint of you not wearing a bra. Even though you were.

I just have to shake my head. People are horrible. I can't believe your manager told you off for it either :/

I also had a 'complaint' made against me when I worked at Land of Quid. Apparently the customer told me that I was fat and needed to stop wearing clothes that were 2 sizes too small, even though the top I was wearing was actually a size larger. But to this day, I'm not sure if the supervisor had made it up. She was bullying me at the time and it could have been her way of trying to belittle me.

Comment

They were looking to insult you somehow. Do we tell a pregnant woman she's fat? She's the same race so we can't use that. Let's choose bras! Your manager was an ass.

Comment

Best complaint I ever got "talked to" about:

I was doing magic at the restaurant I used to magic at. It was a lovely Sunday afternoon. I approached one table of four women, introduced myself, and asked if they were interested in seeing some magic: my normal polite spiel. They politely declined. I politely thanked them, wished them an enjoyable meal and afternoon, and moved on, as I did with every table that declined my services.

I then approached the next table, at which was seated two twenty something girls. I gave my usual introduction, and they were delighted to take me up on my offer of table side magic. Much hilarity ensued, with the girls laughing heartily and thoroughly enjoying my act. Their meal arrived, I finished my set, and wished the two girls a lovely day. As I was walking away, I happened to pass the original table, which asked me if I could send the manager over. They seemed rather annoyed about something. So I did as I was asked.

The manager went over to the table and asked what he could help the ladies with. At which point they proceeded to complain that my act had caused the next table to laugh far too loudly, which had disturbed their meal.

No, I am not shitting you. These women bitched that I had caused others to have too good a time, and the resultant fun and frivolity had bothered them.

The manager told me all this. At which I was initially aghast, until I noticed the smirk on his face. And then he told me that he had said to the complaining table, "Ladies, we are really happy with the job Jester does here. He brings a lot of happiness and joy to many of our customers with his magic, and we couldn't be more pleased to have him. And I will not apologize for that. Now, if I can make your meal more enjoyable in any other way, you just let me know."

And that, as they say, was that!

"The Customer Is Always Right...But The Bartender Decides Who Is
                      Still A Customer."

Comment

Quoth Jester View Post
                        Best complaint I ever got "talked to" about:
                        The manager went over to the table and asked what he could help the ladies with. At which point they proceeded to complain that my act had caused the next table to laugh far too loudly, which had disturbed their meal.

No, I am not shitting you. These women bitched that I had caused others to have too good a time, and the resultant fun and frivolity had bothered them.

And that, as they say, was that!
                        They were just mad they missed a chance to pull the stick out of their ass and have fun!

Comment

Quoth workerbee222 View Post
                          I worked for a company that wrote "Make-up is required for a professional appearance."
                          I almost got a job at one of these places but was told that I needed to learn how to apply blush. I kept telling them I didn't wear blush. Even had a manager run a makeup cloth over my cheek and got confused when it didn't pull up anything. She just couldn't believe that my cheeks were naturally red. They called me back for a second interview and I declined.

Comment

I'm like that: 'poorly applied blush' aka naturally red cheeks. Right on the apple of the cheek, and up along the prominent part of the cheekbone.

As for .. well-endowed women and bras: absolutely true. Doesn't matter how good the bra, the only way to make them 'perky' involves enough metal (or other structural support) to build the Eiffel Tower.

Okay, that might be an exaggeration.
                            Seshat's self-help guide:
                            1. Would you rather be right, or get the result you want?
                            2. If you're consistently getting results you don't want, change what you do.
                            3. Deal with the situation you have now, however it occurred.
                            4. Accept the consequences of your decisions.

"All I want is a pretty girl, a decent meal, and the right to shoot lightning at fools." - Anders, Dragon Age.

Comment

Quoth Seshat View Post
                              As for .. well-endowed women and bras: absolutely true. Doesn't matter how good the bra, the only way to make them 'perky' involves enough metal (or other structural support) to build the Eiffel Tower.

Okay, that might be an exaggeration.
                              Nope.

And then.... gravity happens!

And then... you give up
                              Smile, or I'll smack you silly!
                              At what age does a vampire become a crazy old bat? :[

Comment

Working...
                              X