• Show
Clear All

• Donny Donot Does it Wrong.

You know what I'm about to talk about.

Maybe you first saw it in the Boy Scouts

Maybe it was the first time you were in shop class

Maybe it was Driver's Education

Maybe it was the first job you had around working/power machinery

What I'm talking about is the first time you got one of those safety pamphlets that show you the CORRECT way to handle knives/industrial tools/chemicals/firearms/etc by showing some poor hapless sap with a funny and/or alliterating name doing it the WRONG way every single time... you know the one:

"Remember kids! Knives are dangerous! So, Don't Do What Donny Donot Does!

And there, on every page, in every comic, poor ol' Donny would do something stupid and cut/injure/maim/kill himself.....and you had to sit there and watch his pitiful and painful mortal failings time and time again, just so you knew not to do it that way yourself. By the end you were rooting for him to at least get ONE thing right, but alas, he'd never ever learn a single thing, and he'd be lacerated, immolated, perforated and possibly incarcerated time and time again, soaking up the abuse like a cartoon cat trying to catch a cartoon mouse with a variety of lethal tools and traps that inevitably turn on him, yet not as funny because there's no evidence this guy deserves any of what's happening to him.

Those used to really bother me.

Like, is there anyone out there that haphazard? That incompetent? That accident prone that there's literally no point where they have an option over their actions that they don't choose the wrong one? Raw averages say he's gonna get at least ONE of those right. Or after the first 3 wrongs ones, someone's gonna tie him to a chair so he CAN'T endanger them anymore at the very least.

To me, that undercut the safety message, because it implied that safety was immaterial. Stupid rock-chewing people like Donny would find a way around it, and if you were at least smarter than Donny, (as anyone who didn't have spam-for-brains certainly was) then why bother reading?

I certainly spent more time pondering the sociological implications of people like Donny Donot loose among us instead of actually bothering to read the booklet and learn where not to put my fingers while bending metal bars in the machine or whatever....

Well, I take it all back, every single piece of it, I take back.

Donny Donots exists, and he was here last Monday morning.

Here's a rundown of everything he did wrong.

DO NOT park at your friend's place without a permit to park there, else you'll be towed

DO NOT bang on the side door to the bodyshop's paint booth outside when you are here to pick up the car, go to the FRONT DOOR where all the lights are on, not a darkened door off the side of the building, nothing will happen until you do.

DO NOT pound on the door, the glass door you can see us through, while we're in the process of unlocking it, this will not make it go faster

DO NOT yammer on for thirty minutes about how you were just visiting and your friend said you didn't need a permit, yadda yadda yadda, that won't get you anywhere.

DO NOT claim poverty and say you have no money, this will not affect the price of a tow

DO NOT say you can pay if we let you get "the money" out of your car, and then, once let into the impound lot, take a $20 out of the glovebox and say "That's all I got"

DO NOT get angry with us when we tell you that generous $20 offer is $110 short of what you'll need to pay us

DO NOT try to drive out of the impound without paying

DO NOT whine "you mean I gotta WALK back around?", it's pretty obvious isn't it?

DO NOT continue with the verbal abuse while your friend drives over to loan you a credit card so you can get out of impound.

DO NOT stomp the gas and crank the steering wheel as hard as you can while pulling out and sideswipe the car you are parked next to, denting you both up.

DO NOT frantically drive off when informed you've damaged another vehicle

DO NOT keep circling the block after fleeing the scene of an accident, driving past our lot 2 or 3 times and looking at us funny, (trying to intimidate us?) as we're currently on the phone with the police, and now know exactly where you are, and have all your information from when we actually un-impounded the car.

DO NOT take off when the police arrive to investigate a hit-and-run we've called in, YOUR hit and run.

DO NOT fail to stop when the police pull up behind you and turn their lights on

DO NOT fail to stop when a 2nd and 3rd police car join the chase, ultimately cornering you and denting your car up some more in a parking lot just two blocks from your home.

DO NOT have such copious amounts of your favorite recreational drug in the car with you that when the police search it pursuant to your arrest for hit and run AND felony evasion, they decide to add possession with intent to your pending charges.

DO NOT fail the sobriety check they give you pursuant to finding drugs in the car, as you looked plenty sober to us, but, were apparently slightly buzzed on the same stuff, or maybe just plain ol' liquor, either way, you've just got a DUI added to that ever growing rap sheet.

DO NOT ever ever EVER consider procreating, the world does not need MORE of you. I know, I know, you won't listen to THAT one either, but, at least I can go to bed with a clean conscious, knowing I tried my best.

I'm sure there's a way they could have done that MORE wrong, but, I'd rather not think to hard about what that would have entailed, I do not want to encourage someone to break THIS record for stupidity, which is going to stand for quite a while.
    Last edited by Argabarga; 10-09-2014, 03:23 AM.
    - They say nothing good happens at 2AM, they're right, I happen at 2AM.

I've never heard of Donny Donot. I had Gallant and Goofus though.

But damn...what a maroon!
    My NaNo page

My author blog

Comment

Well f*ck.

I didn't believe people like this even existed...

Though, on reading how much he had stashed in the car, I can understand his desire for urgency...

EDIT: after the arrest, did you get called to tow his car again?

Comment

Pin me again, Sam

Quoth Argabarga View Post
        You know what I'm about to talk about.

Maybe it was the first time you were in shop class
        Yes, shop class. Mr. Wood (really!). We saw those filmstrips with the "beep" to change the slide...that's how old I am. The "star" was "Primitive Pete" a rather dull-looking caveman in a fur onesie. "Pete" could never learn not to use screwdrivers as chisels, pliers as hammers, levels as hammers, power tools as hammers...well, you get the idea.
        So, Primitive Pete was a meme with those who went to school during this period of American history.

Now, we all know not to get under a vehicle that is not properly supported, right? A man in Amsterdam, NY, had to be rescued when the vehicle he was working under fell and pinned him. He was hospitalized with minor injuries. The funny thing was, he was in the paper a year or two previously.....for being pinned under a vehicle that fell on him while he was working on it.
        P*S

Comment

I read it as "Donny Donuts" and expected a story which somehow included glazed goodness. This was pretty excellent, though.
          Replace anger management with stupidity management.

Comment

Reminds me of a news article I read a few weeks ago...The cops were trying to get some guy to pull over in a residential area for a minor traffic infraction. He declined to acquiesce to their request. (Means "No")...Instead, he decided to keep going, leading them all the way to his house. When he finally stopped at said home and got out (half a dozen cops cars by this point), his excuse was something along the lines of needing to go home first, or didn't see them, etc.

His charges, in addition to the original minor moving violation, included (IIRC) the usual suite of car-related issues that so many others get nailed on (No insurance, expired license/tag/inspection sticker, yada yada yada), Failure to yield to blue lights/pull over, Speeding...plus, of course, Possession of a controlled substance (which he had thrown out of the car -- one cop stopped to snag that), and over 20 charges of running a stop sign.

Ladies and gentlemen, I give you a true man of genius.
            "For a musician, the SNES sound engine is like using Crayola Crayons. Nobuo Uematsu used Crayola Crayons to paint the Sistine Chapel." - Jeremy Jahns (re: "Dancing Mad")
            "The difference between an amateur and a master is that the master has failed way more times." - JoCat
            "Thinking is difficult, therefore let the herd pronounce judgment!" ~ Carl Jung
            "There's burning bridges, and then there's the lake just to fill it with gasoline." - Wiccy, reddit
            "Retail is a cruel master, and could very well be the most educational time of many people's lives, in its own twisted way." - me
            "Love keeps her in the air when she oughta fall down...tell you she's hurtin' 'fore she keens...makes her a home." - Capt. Malcolm Reynolds, "Serenity" (2005)
            Acts of Gord – Read it, Learn it, Love it!
            "Our psychic powers only work if the customer has a mind to read." - me

Comment

HOW? How can someone be that inept at life?

Also, I rather enjoyed the build up to this story. It was well done, Donny Donot was a classic, but I always had a soft spot for the US Army Preventative Maintenance comics.

In Combat Life Saver class, I was shown 2 pictures of real-world "combat" injuries. I put quotation marks because they were not actually in combat when injured.

The first image shown a mangled hand missing all but 2 (very twisted and mangled) fingers. He tried to remove a stuck pin on his weapon mount using a 50-Cal round and a rock. HE HIT A LIVE 50-CAL ROUND, on the primer, with a rock.
              The second image shown was a soldier missing their face. I wont go to graphic, but all that was left was his tongue (No jaw, nose, or eyes. I am told he survived). He chewed on a blasting cap while working on an explosive charge. You know how some people chew on their ink pens while working? Ya, do not do that with explosives.

They showed us these and then asked how we would treat that injury.
              I might be crazy, but I'm not Insane.

What? You don't play with flamethrowers on the weekends? You are strange.

Comment

Is it wrong that I'm... not at all surprised? >.>

Um... well, for the second one, how do you feel about that uh... youth in asia, huh?
                Supporting the idiots charged with protecting your personal information.

Comment

I have too many horror stories of ineptitude in a shop environment to go into detail here (though my favorite is the girl who decided to file her nails with a belt sander and had her thumbnail and a tendon ripped out when the nail caught on a snag in the belt).

As for the Donny Donot in the story, you would think he would have come to pick up his car as quietly and politely as possible so he didn't call attention to himself and get away clean with all the drugs. Fortunately, drugs make people stupid and easy to catch.
                  Sorry, my cow died so I don't need your bull

Comment

Quoth Gilhelmi View Post
                    I'd probably be considered 'wrong', but for the first one, seems like it'd be much more effective and easier all the way around to amputate the remainder of the hand and install a prosthesis (or part if that's all that's needed, think I've seen prosthetic hands that use flexing the palm to actuate fingers gripping).

As for the second one, ya, what otakuneko said.
                    You're only delaying the inevitable, you run at your own expense. The repo man gets paid to chase you. ~Argabarga

Comment

Wow. There's fail and there's epic fail. Then there's this... Just how dumb can one person be?

Somehow I don't see Donny Donot being able to procreate as I don't seem him getting out from behind bars anytime soon. Of course I'm assuming we're not too late.

Comment

Goofus sells smack and leads the police on a high speed chase.

Gallant parks in the appropriate lot and only sells dime bags of California Kush.

Comment

The 'Donny DoNot' reference made me think of this video, even though it's sorta off-topic. It's in German, but you'll get the gist of it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tqd4aPs5WTA

Comment

OK, here's what I want to know: was the 'friend' still hanging around through all of this? Or did he leave right after paying the fine?

Because I'd love to know the expression on his face when he realized that the idiot had just escallated a tow into a hit-and-run with a side order of drug charges.
                            Life: Reality TV for deities. - dalesys

Comment

You just watch, he'll be up for a Darwin Award sooner or later.

Comment

Working...
                              X