This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Quoth Arcus View Post
    2) go online and book the room via the website (or third party site) and pay for it at that time. I did this for my parents all the time. I used my card and booked the room in their name without any trouble.
    That's actually pretty smart!

But did SC think of that? No, of course not.
    Teach a SC to fish... and they will whine about you not catching, filleting, frying, and serving it up on a silver platter for them. - EvilEmpryss

Comment

I love this group.

So many solutions you're all giving to Hero for next time. Keep it up!

(Sadly, there will be a next time.)
      Seshat's self-help guide:
      1. Would you rather be right, or get the result you want?
      2. If you're consistently getting results you don't want, change what you do.
      3. Deal with the situation you have now, however it occurred.
      4. Accept the consequences of your decisions.

"All I want is a pretty girl, a decent meal, and the right to shoot lightning at fools." - Anders, Dragon Age.

Comment

Quoth OfficeSlug View Post
        That's actually pretty smart!

But did SC think of that? No, of course not.
        It's not the booking that's the problem; pretty much all hotels require a credit card (or some hotels, cash) to have in case of in-room charges or damage.

Comment

One option would be to suggest to the guy other hotels in the area that will take credit cards over the phone.

Quoth Argabarga View Post
          Oh well, as others have pointed out, if you're REALLY in immediate danger, your first call should be the police, not a retail establishement.
          Yes and no. There are certainly situations where the best thing one can do is to simply Get Out, rather than having the police get involved, where they may or may not take action. Some abusers are adept at hiding their abuse. Some police departments are adept at not getting involved, and some are just incompetent. And en there are cases where the abuser is in tight with the local cops, either as a friend or as a cop himself. More on this would probably have to be in Fratching, but you get the general idea.

And the danger may not be immediate, but more general, as in she was fleeing an abusive situation that might not have been violent right that minute.

My point is that not all situations are cut and dried, black and white. Some are more complex, and require different methods, such as the woman simply leaving, disappearing, getting away and not leaving any trail for him to follow. Without knowing the specific details of the case, which in this case we do not, it's hard to say which course of action is the best.

"The Customer Is Always Right...But The Bartender Decides Who Is
          Still A Customer."

Comment

If it was his personal fax machine that wasn't working, places like Kinko's or UPS stores often have fax services available. Hell, I once faxed a 3rd party CC authorization form to a department store that was being nice enough to let the guy use. So those are options; they require a commute to the store, but in that sort of situation it would be worth it.
            Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit. Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad.

Comment

For Western Union, make sure the outlet is one that gives out cash.

Where I work, we are a Western Union outlet and we only give out cheques to be deposited/cashed at the bank/credit union. Years ago, used to give out cash for western union, but the owner changed the policy years ago.

Comment

Working...
              X