This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Quoth Retail Associate View Post
    Yep, they used to be. When I started there in the late 90's I liked my job, my manager, my co-workers...we used to have a lot of fun working together. (Still didn't like the SC's though.)

Since about 2002 it has gotten worse and worse every year. Sometimes I think the union and management are in cahoots together to screw over as many employees as they can. Some of my union steward's best friends are also managers at the store. She's a bit too pro-management for my taste and so are the union reps.
    I know that they have been under alot of pressure from a certain store based in Bentsonville. I don't know if that's had an effect on things. One of the things I like about the Meijer in my neck of the woods is that I see people that have been working there a long time. Plus, they are based out of my home state. I'm not going to shop at the asterisk place....No sir...

Comment

Quoth BethB View Post
      I work at Wal-Mart. There are NO management members with a spine.
      Try the pharmacy. My pharmacists tend to be real good at backing us up.

Last winter a co-worker lost control of her vehicle on slippery roads and went into a ditch causing her to be several minutes late for work. Since she had been late once before within 90 days she was written up and told to leave her house 15 minutes earlier every day to allow herself time for such delays.
      So what would they say if there was a situation like we had here today. I-40, both directions, through Tijeras Canyon was closed for several hours. And that's not an easy place to get off the interstate and take surface roads. How the hell are you supposed to plan ahead for a fatal roll-over involving a semi?
      It's floating wicker propelled by fire!

Comment

It's the UFCW. Absolutely worthless...'nough said.

Just last week a co-worker who had been with the store for several years was fired. I don't know for sure what she was fired for because everyone tells a different story. But since the last contract was ratified many long-term employees have been fired or pushed to the point of quitting/retiring early.

We are written up if we call in sick more than 1 day in a 90-day period. Even if it is a two-day illness and we have to call in 2 days in a row. We're written up if we are late (even 1 minute) more than once in a 90-day period. We're also written up if we are late clocking back in from break more than once in a 90-day period. If either of these happen 3 times in a 90-day period, we're gone.

Last winter a co-worker lost control of her vehicle on slippery roads and went into a ditch causing her to be several minutes late for work. Since she had been late once before within 90 days she was written up and told to leave her house 15 minutes earlier every day to allow herself time for such delays.

I kid you not!
        I'm not surprised that Meijer is going this route. They've increased the number of self checkouts at most of their stores, eliminating labor costs. Plus, if they use any complaint to push people with more time out, they can save money by hiring new people for less. That doesn't include the costs of the benefits which some have accumulated over 15/20+ years.

I hate to say this because I would hate to have the same policy at my workplace, but Meijer could improve the quality of their customer service a lot. Meijer has higher prices than Wal-Mart and to be honest, good customer service is the one way to compete with the low price, low quality of service approach.

I don't think this draconian policy is the right way, but maybe a kinder gentler approach might be better. With this economy, no one's job is secure despite what they might tell themselves. Even though some of the individuals affected by this policy may have 20+ years of service, that doesn't mean that the higher ups are going to protect their jobs.

Meijer, Wal-Mart and other retail establishments are getting applicants that never would have considered applying there before the recession, but are doing so now. They've come from other backgrounds, including white collar, and have some experience with customer service and usually are better educated than their typical applicant. They aren't going to be be too demanding and will take a job there for the entry level salary, even though it may be a step down for them.

Comment

Working...
        X